Spare tire wheel color

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The colour is a greyish tinge and can also look a nit ivory depending on lighting.. They are not a pure white.

The wheels are black inisde and backside.. The light colour is on the front with overspray through the holes onto the black back

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The colour is a greyish tinge and can also look a nit ivory depending on lighting.. They are not a pure white.

The wheels are black inisde and backside.. The light colour is on the front with overspray through the holes onto the black back
Maybe black inside on some but mine has quite a heavy coating of the frontside overspray on the inside , as you can see on my photos posted earlier

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I finally painted the spare wheel.

Is this the correct paint scheme? The gray is the correct moonstone gray paint.

The book of norman says it is all moonstone gray.

One other thing.

What size tire do you experts think I should buy?

Thanks

IMG_6285.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I finally painted the spare wheel.

Is this the correct paint scheme? The gray is the correct moonstone gray paint.

The book of norman says it is all moonstone gray.

One other thing.

What size tire do you experts think I should buy?

Thanks

View attachment 18262
I think you mean foam grey, moonstone is the code 19 white with a tinge of blue.

As for tyres, assume you want factory look and size.. closest modern without going to expensive corker/veredistine is the Maxxis MA1 in 165/80/13 , they have a 15mm white wall.

A photo of them fitted

download_20190418_222023.png

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just checked the Maxxis website for the US. It appears the only 13” tire they sell is the MA202. It is not available with a whitewall, according to the website.

According to the Tiger workshop manual, the rolling radius of the original tires was 11.5”, making the tire diameter 23”. Here are the various sizes the 13” MA202 comes in along with each size’s diameter.

165/70R13 22.3”

175/70R13 22.8”

155/80R13 22.8”

165/80R13 23.5”

185/70R13 23.4”

Those tires look very good on that Mk IA.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just checked the Maxxis website for the US. It appears the only 13” tire they sell is the MA202. It is not available with a whitewall, according to the website.

According to the Tiger workshop manual, the rolling radius of the original tires was 11.5”, making the tire diameter 23”. Here are the various sizes the 13” MA202 comes in along with each size’s diameter.

Those tires look very good on that Mk IA.
MKI cross body 😉

As for the MA1 ... Often you have to order them from abroad or specifically ask the dealer to order them for you.

When we did these in Australia Maxxis didn't stock them . We found a supplier in China and ordered a batch for 10cars and had them sent as a shipment.

I think UK alpine club did similar

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The correct color for mk1/mk1a wheels was "foam white", not moonstone. (but they are pretty close in shade!) MK2 wheels were silver (dull). The backside of the rim was always black. The black was over-sprayed over the foam white, or silver. It was pretty sloppily done. As for tires... The closest radial to 5.90/13 would be a 165 or 175/13. with a "80" aspect ratio. Doubt you will be able to find a 175 (80)/13 easily. 70 series radials will be (obviously) smaller in overall dia.

The Healey guys run into the same issue... a 165/80/15 looks quite a bit smaller than an original 590-15. A 175/80/15 fills the wheelarch better and look more "correct", but they are hard to find and very spendy.. Dunlop used to make bias ply ties in both the 5.90/15 and 5.90/13 sizes, but has discontinued both... Sprites used the smaller 13" tire too.

I had no problems sourcing a 165 (80)/13 tire here locally.... (Altho it was a Chinese off brand)

Not like trying to find 5.25/5.50 x 16 tires for my father's Sunbeam Talbot 90 MK2a DHC!! I kept on getting asked if I wanted a tractor tire!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The correct color for mk1/mk1a wheels was "foam white", not moonstone. (but they are pretty close in shade!) MK2 wheels were silver (dull). The backside of the rim was always black. The black was over-sprayed over the foam white, or silver. It was pretty sloppily done. As for tires... The closest radial to 5.90/13 would be a 165 or 175/13. with a "80" aspect ratio. Doubt you will be able to find a 175 (80)/13 easily. 70 series radials will be (obviously) smaller in overall dia.

The Healey guys run into the same issue... a 165/80/15 looks quite a bit smaller than an original 590-15. A 175/80/15 fills the wheelarch better and look more "correct", but they are hard to find and very spendy.. Dunlop used to make bias ply ties in both the 5.90/15 and 5.90/13 sizes, but has discontinued both... Sprites used the smaller 13" tire too.

I had no problems sourcing a 165 (80)/13 tire here locally.... (Altho it was a Chinese off brand)

Not like trying to find 5.25/5.50 x 16 tires for my father's Sunbeam Talbot 90 MK2a DHC!! I kept on getting asked if I wanted a tractor tire!
The color is "foam grey". I have a couple sets of original wheels painted silver. Based on my Heritage certificate showing the date of production, silver was used on the fastback wheels starting in 1967 and continued thru 1976. Is it the same shade? They are a different wheel since they have a tab stamped as part of the center section instead of having the button found on earlier wheels. I also have several of the "foam grey" wheels with original paint. Looking at the back of the wheel I've always thought that the black was black primer. The foam grey still shows that it was a gloss paint but the back of the wheels looks dull as primer will look after many years without any hardener or protection. After the change was made to the production of the fastback, Rootes switched to 165 R 13 radials with the Bridgestone name. There was no aspect ratio such as 75 or 80 on the tire. When did the tire companies start making tires such as a 65, 70, 80 or whatever? The original Bridgestone spare tire and wheel are still in the tray of one of my cars that is #904. I still have the wheels off of #711 as well as a couple others.

Walmart did carry 13" radials made by Douglas and Sam's carried Dunlop 13" radials. Neither carries them now. Sears sold a brand called Patriot. I think the local auto manager told me they were made by Goodyear as a Sears house brand. The 13 " tires that are available in this area are trailer tires. I've talked to Tire Discounters and they're not even sure they could order 13" automotive tires. That includes brands coming out of Korea. The independent shops locally don't have a source thru the distributors. We were having problems getting 13" close to 20 years ago for our four tire stores before we sold the stores. Coker was selling a tall 13" tire that was a size originally used on a Mercedes. There was not a name on those tires. I know of one Tiger in Dayton as well as some Alpines that have them. They are tall and fill the wheel opening.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Foam White OR Gray... attached is color code page from DuPont for Rootes group.. Color code #8 Foam White (Gray) DuPont mixing code 83745

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_0001.pdf
    557.5 KB · Views: 45