Steering Universal Joint

Warren

Gold forum user
Looking for the vendor that sells one that looks like this picture. Maybe you guys that have attached Dale's or like the pictured one have used a similar piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20180924_122640462.jpg
    IMG_20180924_122640462.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 197

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
Borgeson makes the universals and the part number for a stainless steel polished universal is 46-5 cheaper versions in steel are also available. This is for a correct splined on one end and a D on the other. You can buy from Summit racing.

Moondoggie

Warren

Gold forum user
Proper length

I have a spare original, cast iron part. So access to proper sizing at the collum end is known. The picture in previous is Rick J's , or former Bud's car.
Someone did some really nice welding to probably shorten an aftermarket piece. I'm great with a gas and was with a stick welder.
I've got my work cut out for me, bit was hoping to "buy it done" it looks like there's some wiggle room in fitment. Other than that finding one that is a cut to length would be nice rather then a deconstruct piece.
Thanks for the reply Bill, the one that came on the Husky was some chrome plated item 3 link mess from Flaming River like the Mutt II rack.

Warren

Gold forum user
Part numbers

910-32237 and 910-32241 Searching the above numbers gives many choices.

One of my buddies who lurks here but do not post sent me a similar picture of the double ended Universal joint and the part numbers. I was advised by Dale makes a similar piece that with a cut to fit feature as all cars are a little different, man he's said that to me more than once :)

My intent is most always fix or modify my stuff and help to see that the information becomes easily available for those in need. That's been the focus of many in the Tiger world reflected in the old shop notes sections of Tiger Tales. My family owned one of the two local welding shops that wasn't a muffler shop in the Torrance Lomita area in the 80's. We were forced to close that biz by the local gov't miss it and the work space and the access to the equipment .

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I got mine from Flaming River when I swapped in the Mazda power rack... the original 'dogbone' was too long
All stainless with a double 'D' shaft
I think the column spline was 3/4"-48 x double 'D' IIRC and the lower was maybe 5/8"-36 ... whatever the size, it was the same size/spline as the stock rack... http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005/s0011 they also offer joints that can be welded to a round shaft on one end and spline on the other end... http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005/s0003

Attachments

• DSCF0123.JPG
    DSCF0123.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCF0108.JPG
    DSCF0108.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 155

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I used Woodward as physically smaller than Borgenson and a thing of beauty.
They will make anything you want and the price is reasonable