Stock remote oil filter gasket question

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am close to installing a stock remote oil filter on my '65 Tiger. I have never run a stock set-up before; and my mechanic Dan W. says to expect leaks. I may send it off to Tom Hall for his O-ring re-engineering system (he spoke of this at SUNI). Before doing that, I thought I'd try an aftermarket gasket set I think I saw on ebay. The gaskets were white. After searching again, I can no longer find them for sale. Am I totally off on this? Does anyone have knowledge of an after-market gasket set available on ebay or anywhere else? Does anyone have any suggestions on reducing a leak on a stock oil filter set up? P.S. I tried calling the guy in Oregon who used to make oil lines, but his number appeared disconnected. I appreciate any help with this, Steven Alcala

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Properly installed, they do not leak. Rick has the fiber gaskets in stock. Having said this, it does not mean that they are not a PITA.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I always thought rootes used the remote system in the tiger to give some parity to the alpine .. With the rootes driveline eng/trans/rear you got a variety of leaks... Once they used the ford stuff it all got a bit dry under the car so had to make it leak somehow

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have to agree with Randy, installed correctly, this system should not leak. A few months back I took my complete system apart, cleaned everything, made sure mating surfaces were flat and used Ricks gaskets. There were a few rubber O rings I used in the bottom of the female fittings, everything has been dry.

mgmike69

Bronze forum user
How in the world can I get hold of Tom Hall? All the email address's appear to be no good,No phone number that I am aware of for "Tiger Engineering" I'm trying to reach him to talk about his panhard relocation kit.Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am close to installing a stock remote oil filter on my '65 Tiger. I have never run a stock set-up before; and my mechanic Dan W. says to expect leaks. I may send it off to Tom Hall for his O-ring re-engineering system (he spoke of this at SUNI). Before doing that, I thought I'd try an aftermarket gasket set I think I saw on ebay. The gaskets were white. After searching again, I can no longer find them for sale. Am I totally off on this? Does anyone have knowledge of an after-market gasket set available on ebay or anywhere else? Does anyone have any suggestions on reducing a leak on a stock oil filter set up? P.S. I tried calling the guy in Oregon who used to make oil lines, but his number appeared disconnected. I appreciate any help with this, Steven Alcala
You can reach Sean Healey via e-mail.

healey {at} communitynet {dot} org​

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So, I am changing my oil and filter for the first time and have a leak. I removed the gasket and replaced it with a new one from SS. My observation is the replacement gasket is a bit larger ID. 1" vs 1 1/8 ID. so is a bit off-center and isn't snug on the adapter. Have seen that the replacement gaskets have been used with great success so I suspect that it is user error by the FNG. I felt like the fitting was snug enough without crushing the oil filter gasket.
What has your experience and solution been? Should I put the original gasket back on? remote filter.jpggasket id.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Earl's supply has a nylon washer than fits under the adapter nuts that works much better than the fibre washer currently available from sunbeam specialties. I have found that most leaks at this point are burrs on the face of the adapter nut on the washer side from using the wrong tools to remove the nuts. The adapter nuts are 13/16 Whitworth... not SAE or Metric. I usually take a flat file to the surface to make sure that it is flat. The nylon washers are considerably thicker so they can compress to take up any irregularity. I don't get leaks at this point when using the nylon washer.

I don't have a part number, but the washers are sold by dimension so it shouldn't be hard to get what you need. BTW, I'm the guy who makes the hoses and I live in Washington, not Oregon!