Stock shifter handle to Hurst

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone used their stock shifter handle with an adapter like this one to a Hurst shifter on your toploader transmission? Thanks for any help, Joe

553C9027-7AA6-42A3-9839-F70CB96616DD.jpeg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Jsut for a reference, I have a Hurst linkage with what's supposed to be a '289 repro' shifter on it and it's 8 1/2" from the bottom bolt to top of knob

Guessing a stock Tiger shifter on top of that adapter might be a little 'tall' but can't kind my stock one to check it's length...

hurst shifter.jpg

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I use to see that one on eBay, but I no longer can find one. CJ Pony has the longer bent shifter for Hurst but not the short style. I have a Hurst shifter and want to stay with a stock look on top.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I thought I saw some for sale not that long ago…I paid Dan Williams about $200 15 years ago but I think the latest ones were only about half that

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I use to see that one on eBay, but I no longer can find one. CJ Pony has the longer bent shifter for Hurst but not the short style. I have a Hurst shifter and want to stay with a stock look on top.
ebay Item # 155280714714 David Kee says he has them as well. The ebay one is for a T5 5 speed, but could, no doubt, be reconfigured for the Hurst shifter

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thank you for the heads up, I just got that one off eBay after seeing your reply
Joe

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sean .. I searched the auction number but didn't get a hit...

Was your post the repro shifters or the adaptor T piece?

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Sorry, I beat you to the one on eBay, MDL has similar one. See picture

368FF9DB-A776-47BB-BF92-9D817DBAE5AC.png

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No harm no foul...I actually want the T piece... I'd like to mount to the stock shift lever to my Hurst..

In around 2010 there used to be really nice T adaptors for sale on amazon that even had the serrations on the vertical mount to lock into the hurst mount ..should have bought it at the time.....

If I could get the dimensions and those of the ribs...I could CAD one up and have it made.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
No harm no foul...I actually want the T piece... I'd like to mount to the stock shift lever to my Hurst..

In around 2010 there used to be really nice T adaptors for sale on amazon that even had the serrations on the vertical mount to lock into the hurst mount ..should have bought it at the time.....

If I could get the dimensions and those of the ribs...I could CAD one up and have it made.
Micheal,

I had the same dilemma with a shifter for a car I restored some time ago.. the "T" was broken. all of the 64-66 4 speed Ford shifters, regardless of application use the same "T". I bought a crappy Falcon shifter for a Dagenham 4 speed off ebay for $30 and stripped it for the "T"

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Micheal,

I had the same dilemma with a shifter for a car I restored some time ago.. the "T" was broken. all of the 64-66 4 speed Ford shifters, regardless of application use the same "T". I bought a crappy Falcon shifter for a Dagenham 4 speed off ebay for $30 and stripped it for the "T"
Sorry Sean,

Maybe a miscommunication...the "T" brackets I'm referring to aren't the reverse lock-out handle but an adaptor that fits the horizontal mount of a stock ford shift lever as used on the Tiger to the 2 hole vertical shifter mount on the Hurst kits...I want to keep my Hurst short shift linkage but mount the stock shifter handle 😉

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Sorry Sean,

Maybe a miscommunication...the "T" brackets I'm referring to aren't the reverse lock-out handle but an adaptor that fits the horizontal mount of a stock ford shift lever as used on the Tiger to the 2 hole vertical shifter mount on the Hurst kits...I want to keep my Hurst short shift linkage but mount the stock shifter handle 😉
I posted a listing for a complete new shifter handle designed to mount to a T-5 and make it look like a stock shifter. I looks like it'd be pretty easy to adapt to the Hurst shifter.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
T
I posted a listing for a complete new shifter handle designed to mount to a T-5 and make it look like a stock shifter. I looks like it'd be pretty easy to adapt to the Hurst shifter.
The eBay link was gone...but if it's the same as the fave key ones they are replicas of the Straight short shifter . I want to have the longer cranked stock setup but onto the Hurst linkage... I drive with the seat all the way back and with harnesses on the short shifter makes 3rd a bit of a stretch . The taller cranked lever will help...and look stock 😁

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
T

The eBay link was gone...but if it's the same as the fave key ones they are replicas of the Straight short shifter . I want to have the longer cranked stock setup but onto the Hurst linkage... I drive with the seat all the way back and with harnesses on the short shifter makes 3rd a bit of a stretch . The taller cranked lever will help...and look stock 😁
I understand! the short shifter was phased out for a reason!! the ebay listing was for the short "Cobra" type shifter. the adapter at the start of the thread doesn't look like it would be all that hard to fabricate. a piece of 3/16 plate, a vice and a BFH....

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have a brand new Hurst shifter as pictured. Is this good for the Tiger with the original transmission and are there any adapters that are required to make it usable ? I have the standard linkages that came with the original transmission. Is it worth switching to the Hurst

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It's really a matter of personal preference. a properly set up Ford shifter is fine... when the main spring that controls it's neutral point is worn, they can be horrible. My understanding is that you have to use the Hurst rods with a Hurst shifter.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I understand! the short shifter was phased out for a reason!! the ebay listing was for the short "Cobra" type shifter. the adapter at the start of the thread doesn't look like it would be all that hard to fabricate. a piece of 3/16 plate, a vice and a BFH....
Yes.. but that won't be pretty (even if hidden)
The ones they used to sell were more solid than the one at the start of the thread and they had vertical ribs on the mount that slot into the ribs on the Hurst shifter to ensure it doesn't rotate/rock fore and aft.

I actually have a new friend with a lovely HAAS 4 axis CNC machine... among his other CNC , english wheels and breaks....

Looking for accurate measurements for a few sunbeam parts at the moment... Have some fun ideas....

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, my car does have the hurst supershifter kit and I really like it. I believe I purchasedthe 'Cobra' short shifter that directly bolts to the Hurst supershifter, it is the short style and works perfectly .. BUT .. the T reverse lockout is there for looks only. It is my 2nd Tiger with the Hurst linkage and I do like/recommend because it feels much much tighter IMO. BUT .. I do miss the original Ford reverse lockout and even find myself pulling up on T out of habbit. For performance I like the Hurst, for original or weekend warrior I would just cleanup and rebuild the stock Ford linkage. Several years back someone was selling the shim kit to rebuild a stock Ford linkage, I used it and it really helped wake up an old worn out Ford shift linkage.