Stock shifter removal

Brad H

Bronze forum user
The shifter in my MK1A has quite a bit of slop. I saw an article awhile back about removing a stock shifter in order to rebuild it. It is claimed that this can be done without having to remove the engine and transmission from the vehicle. Has anyone done or tried this. What kind of luck or success have you had. Thank you in advance.-Brad

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Brad, are you removing the shifter or the linkage?

If the shifter you can get at it via the shifter hole, 2 bolts secure it at the base of the shifter.

If the linkage.. Not tried it so throwing an idea out... Maybe a combination of access plate on the side of the trans tunnel under the carpet and under the car...

Warren

Gold forum user
Pal

I was assisting a pal with alignment of the gear stick also called shifter;) and he discussed his method of what he'll do if the alignment doesn't work.

As it was told to me roughly drop driveshaft and lower the rear section of the transmission . I don't recall if he also used the access panel to get at the bolts.

If nobody else chimes in I'll ring him up and ask him to comment.

Brad H

Bronze forum user
Maybe the question that I should ask first is how much lost motion in the shifter handle is normal? I realize that the stock Ford shifter probably isn't as tight as a Hurst shifter would be but how much is too much? I never really paid too much attention to this until I got my 66 Mustang with a TKO-600 transmission or my V8 Miatas. Maybe I'm asking too much. I just need a point of reference from other Tiger owners. Thank you again.-Brad

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A little Patience, etc.

Yes: a few wrenching tools from top & bottom and the shifter/linkage comes away without a lot of fuss (sort of). What you do with it after that is up to you. They can run loose without issues. The large shim & spring can be worked with to snug things up but may or may not make a difference. Always keep in mind the exact sequence and position (length) of the linkage arms. Centering the bell cranks with a 1/4" rod (drill bit works) is the more critical adjustment to follow.

Brad H

Bronze forum user
stock shifter remaval update

Removed the shifter handle, disconnected the 3 linkages from the shifter and transmission. Took off the side inspection plate, removed the 3 bolts holding the shift box to the tail housing. Pushed it forward and wiggled it around to the best position at which gravity became my friend. It literally dropped out on the floor. Did not have to remove the crossmember or jack up or lower the transmission. Thanks to all for suggestions with this. Will probably send to Bill Heeley for rebuilding and replating unless there are other suggestions. -Brad