Sunbeam Specialties is up for sale

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got an email from Rick McLeod this evening saying his company is up for sale and he is looking for an investor(s) to buy it. Let’s help him find an appropriate buyer who loves our cars as much as we do so that he’s not forced to sell to someone like Moss who could care less about the marque.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I got an email from Moss the other day saying that they were finally going to open up the Sunbeam parts they bought from Victoria British. They specifically mentioned windshields... they have 73 of them...

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got an email from Moss the other day saying that they were finally going to open up the Sunbeam parts they bought from Victoria British. They specifically mentioned windshields... they have 73 of them...
That is probably the last batch they will have id guess ....

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey Sean will Moss let us know when they actually release parts for sale?

Rick

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I got an email from Rick McLeod this evening saying his company is up for sale and he is looking for an investor(s) to buy it. Let’s help him find an appropriate buyer who loves our cars as much as we do so that he’s not forced to sell to someone like Moss who could care less about the marque.
All the best to Rick and thanks for the decades of assistance.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It would be great if the Clubs (TEAE, STOA and CAT) got together and looked after the parts from Sunbeam Specialties and used this as a resource to perpetuate the club(s) and the cars we invest time and money on. I could see perhaps money to be made and re-investing in parts sold to introduce currently not available parts, or more of the same that are needed. When I joined in 1985, CAT sold some things not available and the club made money, the parts warehouse was doing well As reported in the newsletters. If more than one club shared the inventory or purchase, it lessons the load/burden and ultimately everybody wins. If we do nothing, membership drops like it has since I joined. Part of having a membership gives you perks to items. As good as the newsletter is (thank you Brian Glenn) it has little value in members outside the California area, declining membership-what’s the draw? Just my 5 cents (inflation). This is all meant with constructive criticism, not bashing anyone.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just my 5 cents (inflation). This is all meant with constructive criticism, not bashing anyone.
I thought .05 was just the CND USD exchange rate.. 😜

As for the clubs doing a combined purchase that would be great in principle, but assume the tax implications and logistics of each club having to invest the same amount etc could become an issue.

Could it be bought by a trust established by the clubs? So it became a seperate entity?

I guess you have Curt on the east coast still running his operation...don't know if he could take it over and hire someone in CA to deal with that coast... He knows the market.

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought .05 was just the CND USD exchange rate.. 😜

As for the clubs doing a combined purchase that would be great in principle, but assume the tax implications and logistics of each club having to invest the same amount etc could become an issue.

Could it be bought by a trust established by the clubs? So it became a seperate entity?

I guess you have Curt on the east coast still running his operation...don't know if he could take it over and hire someone in CA to deal with that coast... He knows the market.

Michael:

Rick & Curt have been friends for decades. Curt told me he is about the same age as Rick and that taking over SS would be a huge undertaking. The logistics of moving all the inventory from CA to NY would be a nightmare, never mind being cost prohibitive. It seems the logical solution would be to find a youngish, Sunbeam enthusiast(s) with resources (or investors) already living in or willing to move to CA to take it over. Rick said he would be glad to stay on as an employee for a time which would provide for an uninterrupted period of Rick's expertise until he decides to retire permanently.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael:

Rick & Curt have been friends for decades. Curt told me he is about the same age as Rick and that taking over SS would be a huge undertaking. The logistics of moving all the inventory from CA to NY would be a nightmare, never mind being cost prohibitive. It seems the logical solution would be to find a youngish, Sunbeam enthusiast(s) with resources (or investors) already living in or willing to move to CA to take it over. Rick said he would be glad to stay on as an employee for a time which would provide for an uninterrupted period of Rick's expertise until he decides to retire permanently.

Rick
Yes.. as I stated.. if Curt could employ someone to keep it running in California.

However if he is the same age... Then yes, a younger owner would be more beneficial. This is where encouraging younger members and showing respect to younger members pays off for the longevity of the clubs.

Also the other way is generational membership, I've heard some rather amusing justification as to why some members kids haven't got involved.

Anyway... I hope Rick can find an appropriate buyer.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have been through this before with Early Ford and Model A parts suppliers- when they go they often fail to sell their business or sell it to people who have no understanding or interest in the vehicles -within a short time the business is all gone. I think Victoria British is an example of a company that got swallowed up and lost along with a lot of its stock ( its nice to see that their windshields may be mobilised soon -I will want one ) I really hope Rick can find a buyer -Personally I would be happy to be involved in a massive joint ownership company - Provided the right person was running it. Then once we had paid them you could aim to run it close to non profit , every one would get the benefit of cheaper parts with perhaps a slight discount for owners

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
To inject a bit of reality and practically into this thread...

(BTW... I'm not writing this as a CAT board member but as a neutral observer. I am absolutely not speaking for CAT!)

All CAT members have access to see the amount of dollars in CAT Part's bank account so we know it is much less than 10% of Rick's supposed asking price. I doubt that all the other clubs combined could match the amount CAT Parts could offer. My next guess is that at best all the clubs combined could maybe raise $70K which is a very long way from Rick's asking price. I don't think there's much of a chance that would work unless Rick would accept a modest down and then carry a whole lot of debt.

Another approach would be for every club member of every club each "invest" something like $500 towards a purchase. Is that realistic?

Finally, I have heard talk from the bay area asking about whether some Tiger owners would be willing to form a syndicate to make the purchase. I imagine we'll learn more next month at TU. (Something like this was done in the UK to save Sunbeam Spares, the main supplier of Sunbeam parts to the UK. It seems to have worked out great.)

I have one more thought...
Rick has developed relationships with manufacturers world wide. Rick frequently has parts built for him which he then shares with Sunbeam vendors around the world. And, while the reverse is also true on a limited basis, the vast amount of manufacturing is contracted by Rick. So don't assume that if we lose Sunbeam Specialties that we will be able to buy parts from other vendors since many of their parts are sourced from Rick.

Buck Trippel

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Maybe if Rick from SS chimes in and tell us what he has and his hopes for the business rather than second hand information. Just a positive thought

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Currently it's business as usual with Rick. I just received notice of the order I placed today. Many of us went thru a transition of this type several years ago when Tiger Tom retired. Classic Sunbeam is still in business so there will still be a vendor available in the states.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
To inject a bit of reality and practically into this thread...

(BTW... I'm not writing this as a CAT board member but as a neutral observer. I am absolutely not speaking for CAT!)

All CAT members have access to see the amount of dollars in CAT Part's bank account so we know it is much less than 10% of Rick's supposed asking price. I doubt that all the other clubs combined could match the amount CAT Parts could offer. My next guess is that at best all the clubs combined could maybe raise $70K which is a very long way from Rick's asking price. I don't think there's much of a chance that would work unless Rick would accept a modest down and then carry a whole lot of debt.

Another approach would be for every club member of every club each "invest" something like $500 towards a purchase. Is that realistic?

Finally, I have heard talk from the bay area asking about whether some Tiger owners would be willing to form a syndicate to make the purchase. I imagine we'll learn more next month at TU. (Something like this was done in the UK to save Sunbeam Spares, the main supplier of Sunbeam parts to the UK. It seems to have worked out great.)

I have one more thought...
Rick has developed relationships with manufacturers world wide. Rick frequently has parts built for him which he then shares with Sunbeam vendors around the world. And, while the reverse is also true on a limited basis, the vast amount of manufacturing is contracted by Rick. So don't assume that if we lose Sunbeam Specialties that we will be able to buy parts from other vendors since many of their parts are sourced from Rick.

Buck Trippel
Buck I accept what you say-Personally I would drop $500 into the business tomorrow (and with our exchange rate its currently for me $800) I've spent more that on the Tiger since I brought it 4 months ago - not to mention what I have spent on the Series V Alpine over 40+ years . But not everyone would be in a position or wish to do this. I just wonder if the buyer doesn't come from within us were will they come from ? -we are a small marque and hence a relatively small market which may deter investors

Last edited:

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The reality is it is more likely for Moss to buy SS out. For us, ideally, the Brits would buy SS and combine resources. I talked to Rick about that but he said that they are very small. Another problem is that potential buyers are as old and older than he is.
We'll see how it works out.

Last edited:

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The reality is it is more likely for Moss to buy SS out. For us, ideally, the Brits would buy SS and combine resources. I talked to Rick about that but he said that they are very small. Another problem is that potential buyers are as old and older than he is.
We'll see how it works out.
I suspect you are right . In the Early Ford Parts Supply business Macs one of the biggest was brought out by Ecklers and it seems to have been a disaster all round -a big company who approached selling parts like they were selling canned goods . They got rid of all the experienced staff and employed people who probably couldn't change a tire or drive a stick shift .

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Currently it's business as usual with Rick. I just received notice of the order I placed today. Many of us went thru a transition of this type several years ago when Tiger Tom retired. Classic Sunbeam is still in business so there will still be a vendor available in the states.
Perhaps re-read Bucks post as to where other suppliers get their parts and how the loss of the source supplier might impact the range and viability of others ...

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Perhaps re-read Bucks post as to where other suppliers get their parts and how the loss of the source supplier might impact the range and viability of others ...
The facts are there is a thing called "cooperation" thru an association with others. In other words Rick has become the "go to guy" over the years. He has done the leg work with suppliers and manufacturers and spear headed getting parts secured. The parts business was something he was able to devote time to since his other endeavors probably allowed him to do this. If folks were aware or knew the other suppliers other than an internet connection or knew the way the retail or supplier world works, the system would be easier to understand. Over the years others here in the states had full time jobs with the Beam business being what could be called a "hobby" business. I'm still doing something similar so I know how it works. My business is associated with 48 other distributors around the U.S. that have a buying association with one buyer in Colorado doing the leg work, buying and setting up supply channels. There's no reason Rick can't continue to do the leg work and continue to do something similar if he wants to. The Sunbeam parts world hasn't yet ended.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Again Robert,

Read Bucks post... Or let me help summarise for those who can only read a single paragraph, or can only write things in one.

If Curt gets many of his parts from Rick, as do other suppliers and Rick can't find a buyer for the business/stock the critical mass for manufacturing and supply will either limit the market or eliminate it.

And a gracious thanks for, as always, bringing the thread to unrelated aspects of your life. Always a pleasure to help console those who require constant validation 👍