Sunbeam Specialties is up for sale

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick as much as had the business sold to a NorCal Tiger member and Rick was willing to stay on to support the transition but they couldn't agree on the value of his inventory. Hopefully, if nothing else works out those two might reconsider. So thankful for Rick and what he's meant to the Tiger community.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Amen. Rick is a gift. However, he told me he is in his 70's and this will not last.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Again Robert,

Read Bucks post... Or let me help summarise for those who can only read a single paragraph, or can only write things in one.

If Curt gets many of his parts from Rick, as do other suppliers and Rick can't find a buyer for the business/stock the critical mass for manufacturing and supply will either limit the market or eliminate it.

And a gracious thanks for, as always, bringing the thread to unrelated aspects of your life. Always a pleasure to help console those who require constant validation
o_O

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The bottom line for the club, and all of the clubs is their USA tax status... Every club that I have been involved with in the past has been declared as a non profit.... I have no idea how the California club is chartered, nor do I have any idea how the East coast clubs are chartered. If they are non profits, this is a non starter. They simply cannot buy Rick out and operate the business under a club umbrella. I have no idea of what the initial investment might be, but I am pretty sure that the combined resourses of the clubs would be insufficient. I was advised of this problem at least 5 years ago by a client when I was restoring the prototype MK1a I restored. He tried to get me to offer a buy out to Rick... I told him it was a ridiculous idea as I am cash poor and debt averse... though probably the right kind of person as I know what was used across the range of Brit cars. I have ZERO desire to live in California....

I'm 62, so the idea that I could pull this off, even if I had financing, is out of the question.... Not that I want the business to go away..... The best possible solution would be to get Moss to buy the business. They are the only US entity with the financial resources to keep it going. I have been a Moss distributor for almost 40 years. If they can be made to realize that a lot of the parts for Alpines and Tigers were used on a lot of other Brit cars, they might just buy it... I doubt that they would have any interest in the upholstery side, but the rest of the parts might represent enough profit margin that they might be interested. As far as support for Hillman Husky's... Sorry, you are seriously out of luck... as of late, the guys at Moss have told me that they are ready to start adding Sunbeam parts to their inventory for ordering....

Most of the Lucas stuff is used across the range, Rick sources wiring harnesses from British Wiring (as do I) ... all of the tops, tonneaus and such come from a known source. There are several sources in the UK that supply parts, some of which Rick does not stock... as for the mechanical stuff. I do not know... but this is generally not an issue for Tiger guys as the stuff is all Ford and can be sourced for many vendors.

I would happily contact all of my normal people at Moss if this could be made to work.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The bottom line for the club, and all of the clubs is their USA tax status... Every club that I have been involved with in the past has been declared as a non profit.... I have no idea how the California club is chartered, nor do I have any idea how the East coast clubs are chartered. If they are non profits, this is a non starter. They simply cannot buy Rick out and operate the business under a club umbrella. I have no idea of what the initial investment might be, but I am pretty sure that the combined resourses of the clubs would be insufficient. I was advised of this problem at least 5 years ago by a client when I was restoring the prototype MK1a I restored. He tried to get me to offer a buy out to Rick... I told him it was a ridiculous idea as I am cash poor and debt averse... though probably the right kind of person as I know what was used across the range of Brit cars. I have ZERO desire to live in California....

I'm 62, so the idea that I could pull this off, even if I had financing, is out of the question.... Not that I want the business to go away..... The best possible solution would be to get Moss to buy the business. They are the only US entity with the financial resources to keep it going. I have been a Moss distributor for almost 40 years. If they can be made to realize that a lot of the parts for Alpines and Tigers were used on a lot of other Brit cars, they might just buy it... I doubt that they would have any interest in the upholstery side, but the rest of the parts might represent enough profit margin that they might be interested. As far as support for Hillman Husky's... Sorry, you are seriously out of luck... as of late, the guys at Moss have told me that they are ready to start adding Sunbeam parts to their inventory for ordering....

Most of the Lucas stuff is used across the range, Rick sources wiring harnesses from British Wiring (as do I) ... all of the tops, tonneaus and such come from a known source. There are several sources in the UK that supply parts, some of which Rick does not stock... as for the mechanical stuff. I do not know... but this is generally not an issue for Tiger guys as the stuff is all Ford and can be sourced for many vendors.

I would happily contact all of my normal people at Moss if this could be made to work.
Rick has asked quite a few folks that have been regular customers if they are interested in buying the business. A non profit business can buy a for profit business but the non profit would have to run the for profit as a separate entity. Sunbeam Specialties is a registered California corporation and it is a company intended to make a profit. Not a "hobby" business like the CAT parts operation. Am I correct in saying that CAT can only sell parts to club members since the club is a registered non profit?