Telescopic steering won't telescope

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I can't get my telescopic steering wheel to telescope. I believe it's stuck in the fully retracted position and I'd really like to extend it for more room. The column was rebuild about 25 years ago and has not been used until now (don't ask why). The tension bar (with the nylon clip in the photo) moves freely and seems to bottom out on a spring so it won't completely fall into the column. I believe the sliding part is the inner splined column seen just in front of the horn ring, correct? Any idea on how to free this up other than pulling and disassembling the column? If I try to drive the column in or pull it out is that going to destroy the column? TIA.

Tom
B9473100

Attachments

• IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    557.7 KB · Views: 112

Warren

Gold forum user
First off

You are missing the plastic clip that keeps the adjuster and the expansion bolt from slipping down the rabbit hole in the steering shaft. Sometimes mine can get stuck but all I do is loosen it then go for drive after a couple of beers :) because I can't miss all the Cali. pot holes and the jarring bang often loosens the bolt. Since it's apart give it a light whack after backing off the nut to cover the threads along with your favorite spray is used. It is after all a bare steel wedge in a bare steel shaft. Hope this helps.

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Warren, I used a slide hammer to pull the splined shaft out, it's all good now.