The fun begins-Bodywork style

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Time for a short update…phone call Friday asking to visit the car and see the progress. Photos to follow.

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Another visit to the large animal hospital today. Progress is good, should be in the paint booth next week.

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2898.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

rsmroz

New forum user
good evening. Are you happy with LAT hood? Fit and finish? If so where did you find it?
thank you

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
good evening. Are you happy with LAT hood? Fit and finish? If so where did you find it?
thank you
Very happy with the LAT style hood, when it gets installed. Fit and finish to be determined…fit is good, finish is as it comes out of the molds I build them in. But first…a visit to the Lucas Electricals doctor for dashboard work. Then back on the road.

IMG_2922.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

BEpine

New forum user
I'm lucky my son is a body and paint man. He has been painting for 20 years. My 1963, S3, Alpine has been a work in progress for 3 years.
Labor is free and yes, materials are very expensive here in California. He took my alpine down to bare metal then prime, fill, sand, prime, fill, sand, over and over again until all the sheet metal is completely straight and all the body panels are in perfect alignment. He will be using BASF paint at 1700.00 per gallon and the clear coat at 700.00 per gallon.
So as Austin Healer said, 15K is not out of line if you are having the work done at a good body shop.

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Will you do a fabric wrap on the bonnet to match the body 😜🤭
This is the one I made to show off a bit. Burgundy tinted clear gel coat allowing the carbon fiber to show through. I keep looking at the LAT mold and trying to figure out if a carbon fiber version is doable. The fabric of the cover is turning cat colored these days.

IMG_1802.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
This is the one I made to show off a bit. Burgundy tinted clear gel coat allowing the carbon fiber to show through. I keep looking at the LAT mold and trying to figure out if a carbon fiber version is doable. The fabric of the cover is turning cat colored these days.

View attachment 18537
Nice work...when zooming in especially the top corners you can see the weave.

There were CF Lat bonnets a while back.. can't recall if it was Dale or someone else (Ken?)

As for the cat coloured... I'm guessing not as in C.A.T. Orange 😜