The Tiger found me...

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Hi guys,
This is my first post in this forum so I would like to introduce myself and my little wounded kitten... this is the Story how we found each other and what happened so far. I hope my English is readable:eek:

The Story begins in Germany 1973/74 where a guy drove a Tiger as his daily driver and unfortunately left the road on a frozen street in winter... The front valance was badly damaged while trying to pull it back on the road.
The guy was disgusted from the car, but didn´t wanted do give it away, so he left it in a garage which sat right next to a kindergarten in Erlangen/Germany
The Tiger was sleeping there for a very long time.
it was around the late 80´s when a little Kid lived just a hundred meters away from the garage, went to the kindergarten and always braked out from the garden, trying to reach the playground on the other side of the garage row, where the Tiger sat lonely and waiting... That little boy was me:D
I Newer saw the garage open...

In 2010, the little boy is now 25 the guy from the 70´s is old and realizes, that he will never bring the car back to live again. He sells the car to a friend of him, who has a passion for American muscle an VW-Busses and worked at a Auto shop.

Me to I am driving an old T25 from the German army, so i knew the guy to which the car was sold. at one day i came to the shop and there it sat...
covered with decades of dust and looking very pitiful.
I had never heard of a Sunbeam Tiger before so i thought it was another small-engined British rust bucked, i joked and asked what he wanted to do with that pitiful looking crap.
The only thing he said was "lift the hood and take a look at the engine!"
I did so... and was convinced:rolleyes:

He told me some bullshit, that the car was a prototype and so on.
Didn´t really believe, but the Engine in this little car was quite interesting to me.
He wanted to bring it back to life and worked some time on the car.
He managed to bring the motor back to life, which was stuck from sitting 37 Years. Changed the water pump and had an new core fitted to the radiator.
A few month later, he bought a Truck and wanted to go for some camping, he lost interest in the tiger and it was sitting outside in the rain...
I asked him what he wanted to do with it. he asked me if I wanted to have it, he would sell it to me.
I had no space and no experience for such a project and for me it was quite a lot of money he wanted for it, so I passed by...
I kept visiting him from time to time, and he always asked me... always a little bit cheaper.

I found it a real pity, that this car had to sit in the rain and rust even more... but had no money and still no place...
I talked to my parents... needless to say, they didn´t wanted me to by the car...

But my parents have an old farm in France, 400km away... there was a little barn in which the car could actually fit in.
even with a room height by about 1.6meters, it was OK, because the car was very low profile.
I cleaned out the barn and a week later I was back at the shop.. the guy gave me an ultimatum.
If I did not buy the car till June, he would have ripped engine and tranny apart and thrown the rest to the bone-yard.

I found the Sunbeamclub of Germany, in which I am member today and asked with some pictures if the car was worth saving... the told me it was.
I had to do it, couldn’t let the car go for destruction.
So I bought it in may 2011 for 2000€ just to save it.

In france, i started to take things apart just to see the condition.
Fortunately, so far it looks pretty good despite the sills and wheel arcs being badly rusted.

Last december, the car went back to Germany, as I managed to rent a location where I can work on the car without time pressure.
At the moment, I’m stripping off the paint of the tub and building some Reinforcements for the tub, so I can put it on the rotisserie I have built last year.

Pictures of the car can be seen on this link:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1135...s/5810727255943737601?authkey=CIPnlNmglvT91wE

I hope to find some information here as the restoration accelerates:)
Sorry for my bad spelling:)
Greetings from Germany,
Thibaut

Warren

Gold forum user
Really Great

Love your tow vehicle, that must be some super Vanagon. Nice find. I have had a VW air cooled cars since I looked like you. Welcome to the world of a car that can get out of its own way.

Be careful lifting and jacking the car and look to the many posts and Tiger on a rotisserie don't worry about your English its great . Some fellows from your club were just over to California last year.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Welcome

It's good to see a younger face in an aging crew of obsessed gear heads. Take your time, be fussy, and have fun . . . .

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
Great story.

I was 24 when I was first aware of seeing a Tiger. Bought a used one a few weeks later and still have today almost 36 years later.

Glad to hear you were able to find another location for your car. The space you had to work in was quite cramped under that barn.

True there is some rust but overall looks very clean. Your collection of photos have taken me to places I've never seen before on a Tiger.

Welcome and thanks for posting.

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Hi guys,
Thanks for the nice welcome:)

@warren:
The Vanagon is my daily driver since 4 Years... was a Radio Car back in the day... now has a Golf III GTI engine and runs on LPG. At the moment there is a Syncro standing right next to the tiger having an engine transplant:cool:
one question for the reinforcements: can I use the Windscreen and Hood attachment points to fasten the Reinforcements or must i weld them on to get zero play? I would like to be able to put in the doors with reinforcements in place.

@Oneoffive:
Tanks for the pic, I which my kitten was in the same state...:) It will be a long journey but I´m willing to hang on, even if its slow movement at the moment.

@XTIGERX:
I will try to take more pictures as the project goes on, isn´t always simple to take a good picture, but I have been reading on the CAT forum a lot and learned very much, so I am very willing to pass my experiences to whom it may serve:)
the new Place unfortunately has an uneven ground, which makes the use of the rotisserie ive built quite difficult. Even pulling the engine will be tricky as i cant use a dolly. It´s quite impossible to find a good garage where I live, so I have to cope with it.

Warren

Gold forum user
Mr One of five

Is one of the best on advice for supporting door frames etc while rotating the car on th jig.
I had a LPG/Gasoline Italian conversion on a BMW when I was your age.
Sounds like a great mod on the Vanagon.

It would be really neat to find a conversion for my 64 Falcon conv,gasoline and LPG.

Super pics. I had not seen a patent plate till last week and now there is one on your car.

There are lots of similar work in progress with great pics as well,
Bravo, since I don't know any German.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Great find--looks like you are on a good path to having it back on the road looking like it was brand new.

Bullypit

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Welcome to the Obsession

I will echo what some of the others are saying - it is nice to see some younger blood. I bought my first Tiger when I was 25 (40 years ago this month), and as I have said before when people see me driving the red convertible they inquire about my midlife crisis, but it is more an entire life crisis. Good luck on getting it back on the road - it looks like you have all the important pieces.

AshUK

Silver forum user
Nice project you have there. Plenty of work but will be well worth the effort in the end.The car looks very original with all of the rare and expensive parts present and a steal at 2000Euro!

Good luck with the resto;)

TigerJunC

Bronze forum user
Nice to see another Tiger saved! Great project..... in everyway:D

Do not remove any VIN tags during restoration. That can give a lot of trouble later on. Just learned the hard way......:mad:

Succes!!

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advice about the VIN Tags.
I´m in contact with Norman Miller, he told me not to remove it, and all tags will stay as they are, fortunately they have not been painted over during the respray, which the car must have had in the early 70s.
Isn´t the Tag from pressed Steel on every Alpine/Tiger? I alway thougt, tigers were only Alpine shells modified afterwards by Jensen?
As far as I can see while stripping paint, the hole car is in red oxide Primer except the Tiger specific panels, the are only covered with low quality black paint whitch if flaking away...
Fortunately, i have all the Papers for the Car, including the original "Fahrzeugbrief", and the original Manual in German...
I am the 4th real owner (if i manage to put it back on the streets)
The first was a butcher in AAchen, the second, fo a few month, was a car dealer (possibly the guy who made the respray) and the third a barkeeper in Berlin, who moved to Erlangen and worked there as a mason.
He was the guy who stored the Cat for more than 3 decades...
The original Licensplates of the last registration where still on the car when I bought it.

Greetings from Germany,
Thibaut

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Odd Photos

I'm curious; could you post photos of the "Fahrzeugbrief", and the original Manual in German... for us to stare at. Maybe the 3 decades old License plate, also. Are you allowed to use the vintage plates? I love history.

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Pictures for You

You want some history... here is what i got.
I didn´t put in the pages #5 and #6 because they are basically the same as #4 but unwritten.
http://up.picr.de/13444653uo.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444654dp.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444655lr.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444656zz.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444657ms.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444658zf.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444659eq.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444660pb.jpg
http://up.picr.de/13444661gu.jpg

I hope the pictures work...
Here is the Manual...
http://up.picr.de/13444652tc.jpg
Didn´t wanted to picture the hole booklet as this has 60 pages...

Last edited:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Photo Links Worked!

I guess you were able to fix the photo links, because they worked for me just now!:)

One onther thing I would like to mention is to be sure to save all of the original parts when you work on your car. This includes any little tags on parts. I did not do that when I started working on my car decades ago, and have come to regret it.

Good luck with your car and welcome to the Forum!

David

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Ahead we go..

The last days I continued building the Rotisserie and reinforcement’s fort the tub.
Fortunately I could let the 6mm Steel plates cut on a laser cutter at work…
I carefully designed the whole rotisserie with Catia V5 before building but obviously tolerances were not sloppy enough, so mounting and tac welding the Pieces on the car was imperative. What a handful.. I welded without even seeing where the burner aimed on.
As mentioned before all advices on making the Tub stiffer for the lift off is highly appreciated. At the moment I plan on adding some steel tubes connecting the Screw at the A-posts to the Bolts of the seatbelts on the floor. I simply would like to be able to put the doors in and out to check the gaps while working on the sills.

Greetings from Germany,
Thibaut

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Looks like you are seriously into the project. I definitely admire you for taking on this challenge. I for one will definitely enjoy following your progress.

The scope of your work is way beyond my skills or experience. One thing I have heard is that work on the sills can be a bit complicated. The sheet metal below the doors supposedly have a somewhat compound shape as it bows out a bit as it curves up. A bit hard to get right when replacing. I am sure you are measuring and maybe making templates of what is still there for future reference.

That is all I have. From here on out I will be just be a very interested spectator!:D

Gene

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Oh well,
This is my first project..
A year ago i couldn´t even weld.
I will use good quality replacement panels from GB where aviable as i am no panelbeater. I have to learn everything on the job so I will try to fix the doors and the hardtop with home made panels.
If i screw it up, i can even buy a used one in better shape.:rolleyes:

Thibaut

Vinreeb

Silver forum user
Another little update.
First some more pictures of the brackets:
13697391oj.jpg

13697392qt.jpg

finished the bracing today...

13697393ug.jpg

13697394xt.jpg

13697395st.jpg

13697396ki.jpg

what do you guys think? Can I take a chance and lift the car as it is now?
this would highly simplify engine removal...
not talking about rolling the car to let the engine fall out of the bonnet:D

regards,
Thibaut

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cautions

From experience, Point # 1: I would not lift the body for cutting and welding with the motor and drive train in it. That places too much stress on the panels and cruciform. Point #2: I'm not certain that a single bolt per bracket on the cross bar is enough. See ours for reference.