Throttle Assembly

cleistertiger

Bronze forum user
I have just finished resto on MK1a with Ford Racing crate motor and the throttle response of the stock assembly sucks.
Anybody have a source for an upgraded throttle pedal assembly? British sources have them but only for right hand drive

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Assuming you have the cable set-up...I had a coat hanger for years, but recently made a solid rod throttle assembly.

Throttle rod fab.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have just finished resto on MK1a with Ford Racing crate motor and the throttle response of the stock assembly sucks.
Anybody have a source for an upgraded throttle pedal assembly? British sources have them but only for right hand drive
Is your cable running striaght? Assuming you have not imstalled the stock manifold and carb on a FR crate motor your cable route may be dragging as it goes through the firewall.

Warren

Gold forum user
Stock sucks for so many reasons. Bicycle like cable, improper angles then the weak clamp bolt engineering. But they do work and you can share the same problem that Volkswagens have, stop on the gas too hard and the cable breaks or the bolt slips. Be nice to see an alternative.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I’ve used this 3/16” stainless rod for the past 30 years. Flawless in operation and nothing modified on the pedal or carburetor side.

9077E8A9-08F5-4D67-B691-B96D2E0415A5.jpeg

Warren

Gold forum user
Most of the aftermarket stuff I see is for floor mounted pedal. I can't picture the stock Alpine one bit recall it's a non cable rod operated one. The later Fords like the Maverick and Falcons had a cable and pedal set up.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are two threaded parts at each end, on one side they are turned down to go through the hole on the pedal bracket and drilled with a cotter pin to keep it in place, on the carb side the same but instead of a cotter pin the throttle return spring is used.

5876224B-18C2-4B80-B3AD-79B4D41F40CB.jpeg

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Looks good, thanks. I think I'll go in this direction and figure I'll start with all-thread to get the bends and legnth right and then duplicate in stainless rod and thread the ends.

cleistertiger

Bronze forum user
My problem is the throttle pedal assembly.....the gt sparklplugs solution looks awesome but I don't have
the setup to make it myself......anybody find a resource that will make it?

Hoghead

Gold forum user
My problem is the throttle pedal assembly.....the gt sparklplugs solution looks awesome but I don't have
the setup to make it myself......anybody find a resource that will make it?
I modified Sandy's design to simplify the throttle arm. I used the same off the shelf stop clamp to hold a water jet cut arm - pics attached
I made a couple of extras, and would be happy to send to you at cost, but they are at my home in Canada and I am stuck in Thailand.
I could easily make more and post them, but here is the drawing to make your own - check that the OD of the clamp is the same as the one I bought

It is easy to make this as Sandy posted the drawings with part numbers. My arm makes it easier............

View attachment DSC_5493.JPG

View attachment DSC_5498.JPG

Attachments

• Throttle arm.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 65