Tiger 11 that just sold

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
@DAH

The VIN was at the mecum top of the link you posted...

B382100251LRXFE

The car was a quick flip by someone.... They bought it a few months back for 105k on BAT.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-sunbeam-tiger-41/

They didn't even correct any of the detail issues.. or parts missing ( like the stainless sill plate trims) or fix the soft top...

It was discussed at the time that for 105k some of the detail issues should really have not been there.. at the medium selling price... Someone clearly got excited....

Screenshot_20230522-122650~2.png

Screenshot_20230522-123211~2.png

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wow. That was a good flip. It sold for $140,250 at the Indy Mecum auction and they paid $105,000 on BAT in February. Subtract the fees and they still did good.
From what I have seen, BAT values for Tigers are quite a bit lower than values sold in the auctions.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Wow. That was a good flip. It sold for $140,250 at the Indy Mecum auction and they paid $105,000 on BAT in February. Subtract the fees and they still did good.
From what I have seen, BAT values for Tigers are quite a bit lower than values sold in the auctions.
That's because on BAT they get frank assessment from people who know ( and many who don't know) the cars...

At an auction it's all polish and the houses description.... Let the BS fly and the prices hit the sky

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
They made right at 25% gross profit over original cost. They more than covered the interest for two months if bought on BAT originally using a line of credit. It's not a 100% correct car as Michael mentioned but it's a case where the owner did it their way. I've seen many cars over the years without the aluminum sill plates installed but I've never seen any stainless sill plates. Are stainless sill plates available from any suppliers?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's because on BAT they get frank assessment from people who know ( and many who don't know) the cars...

At an auction it's all polish and the houses description.... Let the BS fly and the prices hit the sky
The American dream. After all these are just a car to be driven and enjoyed whenever possible.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My complaint with BAT is the what I call the peanut gallery who have no intention of buying and deliberately trash the vehicle for sale. It doesn't just happen with Tigers.
The number of times on BAT where they are selling a Lotus and someone comments LOTUS (Lots of trouble usually serious). It drives me crazy!

I have no problem with experts, many of whom are on this forum who just state facts about Tigers. Also, pointing out a fake is obviously a service to buyers.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My complaint with BAT is the what I call the peanut gallery who have no intention of buying and deliberately trash the vehicle for sale. It doesn't just happen with Tigers.
The number of times on BAT where they are selling a Lotus and someone comments LOTUS (Lots of trouble usually serious). It drives me crazy!

I have no problem with experts, many of whom are on this forum who just state facts about Tigers. Also, pointing out a fake is obviously a service to buyers.
There are folks that seem to think a restoration means you're going to make the car 100 % factory correct. Anybody that has owned and driven the project for any length of time has a knowledge of whatever on the car is a concern to them so when doing a restoration they want to make changes to make it their way. If an owner addressed problems and made changes when doing a restoration then the LOTUS term wouldn't apply to other marques. BAT is a good way to sell but there are folks that have no intention to bid but try to influence what others think or it gives them a way to spread the word that they have appointed themselves as an expert. I've attended some auctions just to see the cars, not to buy. Sometimes auction bidding gets insane.