Tiger book by William Carroll

1965_Tiger

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I bought a second edition book in the late 80’s from Sunbeam Specialties that has a red cover i always thought that was what the originals looked like. I found this first edition on eBay that has a yellow cover?

IMG_8716.jpeg

IMG_8715.jpeg

IMG_8717.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I bought a second edition book in the late 80’s from Sunbeam Specialties that has a red cover i always thought that was what the originals looked like. I found this first edition on eBay that has a yellow cover
Don't worry...they both have the same misinformation about the big guy, the firewall and the hammer...

IvaTiger

Gold forum user

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Don't worry...they both have the same misinformation about the big guy, the firewall and the hammer...
I keep thinking that the hammer thing is a garbled recollection... It wasn't the firewall that was bashed, but someone at Jensen did use a BFH on the frame rails below the top hats!

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bill Carroll calls it a "Firewall", a US word with a relatively specific area.
In the UK they use the word "Bulkhead", a much less specific area.
...and seeing the UK was where it actually happened, I'm going with that word.
In MY book, a Big hammer was used in the production of every Tiger.
DW

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As to misinformation... About a quarter century ago I did a side by side comparison of the passages in Carroll's and Taylor's books describing the building of the Shelbly Boskoff Tiger prototype. I found a dozen conflicts.
I then went around talking to the the people (Phil Remington, George Boskoff, Carroll Shelby, HJ Meyer , etc.) who were actually involved to find out which version was correct.
In 11 of the 12, Carroll was the winner with the correct information.
And, like Dan, there is no question in my mind that a big hammer was needed at Jensen to make room for the Ford engine and transmisson.
Buck

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As to misinformation... About a quarter century ago I did a side by side comparison of the passages in Carroll's and Taylor's books describing the building of the Shelbly Boskoff Tiger prototype. I found a dozen conflicts.
I then went around talking to the the people (Phil Remington, George Boskoff, Carroll Shelby, HJ Meyer , etc.) who were actually involved to find out which version was correct.
And, like Dan, there is no question in my mind that a big hammer was needed at Jensen to make room for the Ford engine and transmisson.
Buck
Hey Buck, what were the 12 conflicts? Kirk

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you read the contents in the photos you have posted you must realize that you are reproducing something that is prohibited ?
Copyright laws do allow for some reproduction, for the purpose of information or discussion - just not the entire book. It gets sticky when more than a page or two are reproduced without permission.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey Buck, what were the 12 conflicts? Kirk
The conflicts were mainly about who at Shelby American did the design and the work. It turned out George Boskoff did both - not Remington nor Miles according to Remington himself
The one thing Taylor got right was about how the Shelby/Boskoff prototype Tiger got driven across the US by the wife of the Rootes representative for the mid-west. One author said she drove it east and the other said she drove it west. It turns out that HJ Meyer, the president of Sports Car Forum, was involved and a first person witness since the lady's husband was HJ's. HJ sided with Taylor's version.

The Shelby Tiger prototype was delivered to Rootes in April of 1963. Then a year later Rootes wanted help with switching the Tiger from the original BW T-10 to the Ford Toploader. George had since left Shelby American so Phil Remington went to England to help handle the design changes. Phil thought this trip is how some of the Brits became confused about his contribution to the overall Tiger design.

buck

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Buck
The BFH was used in three places on all Sunbeam Tigers.... both front frame rails below the top hats to clear the exhaust manifolds and the propshaft tunnel to clear the front u-joint! There was no other bashing to the shell.... Just flame cutting and then welding in new bits. As the Tigers progressed in production, more of the mods to the shell were done by pressed steel before delivery to Jensen. The idea being the less paint rectification required, the better. At the end it would appear that the top hats, expansion tank brackets, trans bulkhead and tunnel, servo mount, clutch master reinforcement plates and the plates for the trans crossmember were among the last Jensen mods... along with the panhard mounts.

Looking at Mk1 cars it would appear the exhaust pipe mounts were added to the shell by Jensen as they are welded by mig., Mk1a and MK2 have spot welded exhaust brackets which would seem to indicate Pressed Steel installation

Last edited:

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The conflicts were mainly about who at Shelby American did the design and the work. It turned out George Boskoff did both - not Remington nor Miles according to Remington himself
The one thing Taylor got right was about how the Shelby/Boskoff prototype Tiger got driven across the US by the wife of the Rootes representative for the mid-west. One author said she drove it east and the other said she drove it west. It turns out that HJ Meyer, the president of Sports Car Forum, was involved and a first person witness since the guy was his rep. HJ sided with Taylor's version.

The Shelby Tiger prototype was delivered to Rootes in April of 1963. Then a year later Rootes wanted help with switching the Tiger from the original BW T-10 to the Ford Toploader. George had since left Shelby American so Phil Remington went to England to help handle the design changes. Phil thought this trip is how some of the Brits became confused about his contribution to the overall Tiger design.

buck
Thanks!