Tiger engine and trans removal using lift - time lapse

waynesie

Bronze forum user
So I have never taken engine or transmission out of my tiger, I've had it for 17 years, runs great and everything was fine, but I am fixing issues with rust in the floors and a bad sill replacement done in the '80s.

I found stuff about removing the engine from the top vs through the bottom. I decided to go through the bottom, but all the details about doing this were based on having the car siting on the ground and jacking it up. There is a great time lapse by Duke S. on youtube doing this.

Well I have a lift, it is my favorite tool in my garage. I bought it 15 years ago with the intent of using it to restore this Sunbeam, in the mean time I have restored a couple minis, sprites, BMWs and built a couple of race cars... well it was time to work on the Tiger.

So here is my engine and transmission removal through the bottom using a lift. It is quick ~ 2 min, but actually took 3 hour or so, plus clean up. Now that I have done it, it would be much shorter time... My $40 engine stand / cradle was a disappointment as it did not clear the motor mounts, and there were some clearance issues pulling the engine out straight (no tilt). I made a plywood box to go around the oil pan and set it onto a furniture dolly... actually worked great. I would do it this way again in a second, it was super easy, and I love my lift.

Anyway, here it is, enjoy
https://youtu.be/V787qlqvnuo

I am not an expert, and I don't do this for a living, I am sure there are better ways.... but I am a Rocket Scientist.

Wayne

waynesie

Bronze forum user
I also did a time lapse of pressure washer cleaning 53 years of dirt and grime of the engine and transmission. I thought it would be more interesting and revealing, but not really... its quick. I have done this before on other projects and wished I had filmed it so I did.
https://youtu.be/TghV5oA6pGc

Pressure washing with hot water is great, leaves the parts ready to work with, but the dirt / grease / oil residue has to go somewhere else... it does not disappear... always amazed at how much of a mess I make of everything else. Glad I could do it outside.... not today, there is 4 inch of snow and its 30 degrees.

Wayne

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Engine removal

Nice video.Speedway has an engine stand that bolts to the motor mount attachment points. Works well for bottom out removal.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 232

CLIFF_MK1

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for posting this, Wayne. It's hard to follow what you're doing because the film goes by so fast and without any text explanations. Also there does not appear to show what you used as an engine stand. Did you remove the front cross member? Maybe I need to look at the video again. I'd like to see more of this type of engine removal. Cliff

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Has anyone got experience (good or bad) doing this engine, trans remove and/or replace with a 4-post lift?

Thanks in advance.

John

waynesie

Bronze forum user
Yes, I removed the front suspension / cross member. First part of the video.
Surprisingly easy to do on the lift.
The whole thing was easier than expected. I have removed many engines from several different makes of cars... this was easy.

Engine stand:
For removing the engine I ended up using a plywood box -
.75" thick 7 ply x 8.5" tall sized to fit just around the oil pan and then set onto a harbor freight dolly
https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lbs-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html
I also used a transmission jack with strap to hold the transmission.
Was this safe - ???. Did it work - yes.
This made it so I could remove the 6 bolts holding the engine mounts to the body (in the front inner wheel well) without lifting the engine. Then I just lifted the body off.... the only clearance problem was the water pump in front to clear the transmission tail housing (removed water pump) and the generator bracket which I just moved the dolly slightly to clear.

Once on the ground I could separate the transmission put it on the engine stand / cradle. There were two bolts at the bottom front of the transmission housing should have removed before I pulled the engine out of the car. They hold the bottom of the flywheels cover, hidden with my plywood box... these took some swear words to remove, otherwise straight up easy to separate.

Even the Speedway engine stand would not work for what I did as the engine mounts are in the way. The perfect engine cradle would need to work with the engine mounts in place, so ether bracket around them, or individual pick-up points. Otherwise you still have to lift the engine off the stand to fit it into the car.

Didn't someone engineer at Sunbeam Tiger engine stand just for this... I sort of remember seeing plans or explanation on the net years ago, but I could not find it now. I have been planning this for 17 years.

For putting the engine and transmission back in the car I will definitely use this method, but with a modified stand to accept the full engine mounts in place. I can use the transmission jack to angle the assembly to clear the waterpump, but the stand/cradle will need to be capable of working this way, even if I have to add some extra wheels.

Thanks for watching and the comments. It was fun, and I will probably do more videos.

Wayne

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
4-post engine removal

Has anyone got experience (good or bad) doing this engine, trans remove and/or replace with a 4-post lift?

Thanks in advance.

John
Have a 900 lb trans jack from Eagle which i have used on my 2 post. Loaned it out to a friend who has a 4 post lift. He had no problem. Trans jack has adjustment screws to change angle and tilt.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 165

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Have a 900 lb trans jack from Eagle which i have used on my 2 post. Loaned it out to a friend who has a 4 post lift. He had no problem. Trans jack has adjustment screws to change angle and tilt.

Jack from eagle is Sunex 7793a 1,000 lb Capacity Two-Stage Transmission Jack
$719. Besides the Lift its a great accessory. (No i don't work for Eagle) Also taken Alpine engine/Trans/Front suspension out at the same time. Fun things to do in the Wisconsin Winters.

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user

Jack from eagle is Sunex 7793a 1,000 lb Capacity Two-Stage Transmission Jack
$719. Besides the Lift its a great accessory. (No i don't work for Eagle) Also taken Alpine engine/Trans/Front suspension out at the same time. Fun things to do in the Wisconsin Winters.