Tiger on FB market place

Klaus and Cary

Silver forum user
CAT Member
VIN
B9473173LRXFE
Not mine. Seems like a really good price for a clean Tiger.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...place_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

402478501_7520824301280851_4950966855712576609_n.jpg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The chassis number is a little early for the car to have square corner hood and doors.... records show the first one that way was B9473254... But in it's defense, despite what the TAC certificate shows, the rivets on the chassis tag are the originals

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
yellow? when tac'ed could have been wrecked after tac- buyer beware just saying

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
My comment should not be taken to indicate that I think the car was rebodied at some time. The JAL number is consistent with what I would expect for the chassis number. Cars with a 56 prefix on the JAL are usually 460 digits, or so, lower than the chassis number.. This one is 453 lower. Also, the chassis tag is on with the original rivets.

The reason for the wide gap in chassis vs. JAL numbers is due to the fact that three different JAL prefixes were used on the B947 series Mk1 Tiger. JAL 55 prefixed numbers were assigned starting with B9470011, the 56 JAL prefix started at B9470474 and the 575 (GT cars) prefix was scattered throughout.

I was simply noting that the chassis number is a little lower than the first recorded transition body (B9473254) As the chassis number on this car is only 81 cars prior, the most understandable explanation could be Jensen's habit of mixing up the sequences on chassis number vs JAL number. It would certainly be one of the earliest examples of a transition body if it did, in fact, start out configured this way.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Somewhat personalized fer sure but purrrrty . The dash pad looks a bit chubby? Nice toy .

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Somewhat personalized fer sure but purrrrty . The dash pad looks a bit chubby? Nice toy .
Looks like instead of dyeing the dash pad, they covered it with a thin layer of foam and covered it with the same vinyl they used on the seats and panels.

The car is also listed on ebay with more pictures.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
The chassis number is a little early for the car to have square corner hood and doors.... records show the first one that way was B9473254... But in it's defense, despite what the TAC certificate shows, the rivets on the chassis tag are the originals
I have a pretty big sampling of cars in that range of VINs and I have 15 cars after that one that ALL have square doors, including 174 and then starting with the Harrington Tiger (3140 ) there are a few round corner cars and then everyone I've checked ( didn't look at every one ) from there up to 3254 and beyond are square again. Also on lower #'s 3146 is also square...These are all verified by pics... what records are you looking at ??

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a pretty big sampling of cars in that range of VINs and I have 15 cars after that one that ALL have square doors, including 174 and then starting with the Harrington Tiger (3140 ) there are a few round corner cars and then everyone I've checked ( didn't look at every one ) from there up to 3254 and beyond are square again. Also on lower #'s 3146 is also square...These are all verified by pics... what records are you looking at ??
yes, every car AFTER 3254 should have square corner doors (with the exceptions noted below). I said that at the beginning of the thread. It's a positive sign that the car after this one is also square cornered. As I indicated, I believe this to be one of the earliest examples with square cornered doors and hood.

The info comes from Alpine parts list publication # 6600992 page YX3 which lists changeover on hood and doors at B9473254 except for 3268, 3271-3273, 3276-3279, 3289-3291, and 3384. I have found in 40 years that exact documentation for parts supersessions are not aways accurately reflected in factory parts books and should usually be taken only as a general guide.

This further illustrates the complication of having one company make the bodies (pressed steel), another turning the shells into Tigers (Jensen) and a third one at the end finishing off the cars (Rootes). it's certainly possible, and likely probable that Pressed Steel was setting up for the new square cornered transition body and several escaped onto the line resulting in an overlap of both types early on.

As I indicated earlier in the thread, I was NOT suggesting that the car was rebodied, it was just before the Rootes indicated change point.

Michael

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
yes, every car AFTER 3254 should have square corner doors (with the exceptions noted below). I said that at the beginning of the thread. It's a positive sign that the car after this one is also square cornered. As I indicated, I believe this to be one of the earliest examples with square cornered doors and hood.

The info comes from Alpine parts list publication # 6600992 page YX3 which lists changeover on hood and doors at B9473254 except for 3268, 3271-3273, 3276-3279, 3289-3291, and 3384. I have found in 40 years that exact documentation for parts supersessions are not aways accurately reflected in factory parts books and should usually be taken only as a general guide.

This further illustrates the complication of having one company make the bodies (pressed steel), another turning the shells into Tigers (Jensen) and a third one at the end finishing off the cars (Rootes). it's certainly possible, and likely probable that Pressed Steel was setting up for the new square cornered transition body and several escaped onto the line resulting in an overlap of both types early on.

As I indicated earlier in the thread, I was NOT suggesting that the car was rebodied, it was just before the Rootes indicated change point.

I have 9473222 and it has square corner hood and doors. I'm the 2nd owner, knew the original owner and have all documents from the original sale, so... don't be too sure.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have 9473222 and it has square corner hood and doors. I'm the 2nd owner, knew the original owner and have all documents from the original sale, so... don't be too sure.
I have pics of several cars near yours both above and below your vin that also have square doors..several in the high 3100’s too

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did anyone save the pics? I can't see the image in the forum thread.. jpeg name only... And the FB link seems to be gone.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
as I said before, there are always exceptions... It would appear that the move to the transition body (square doors and hood, round trunk) was a messy one

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
as I said before, there are always exceptions... It would appear that the move to the transition body (square doors and hood, round trunk) was a messy one
FYI, The change to square cornered hood and doors on Alpines was with B94103022. The date for the change happened the week of 03/15/1965.