Tiger shifter refurbishment

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
After I could recently get a Tiger shifter with a broken T-Bar from UK there a several questions:

- How to dismantle it ?
- Any sources for a new T-Bar ?
- How to get it back together ?

Any advise welcome...

rab123

Bronze forum user
Shifter

I don't know if this guy is still around, I have heard of him several times (found this in old rootes1.com email archives:

Just wanted to pass this along. I recently sent my whole shifter
assembly and linkage to get rebuilt. Got the unit back, it is tight and
doesn't rattle anymore (doesn't get stuck in 1st anymore either) and
only cost me $100 plus ship. Very happy with the work and a fast turn
around.

His name and address follow
Bill Heeley
3621 Mt. Olney Lane
Olney, Maryland, 20832

(301)774-6710

Also the Toploader specialty people may be of some help.

Randy B.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for hints and the links. If anybody has a spare T-bar let me know. By the way what material is it ? cast or chromed steel ?

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I made a replacement for one once on the road between L.A. and Laguna Seca many years ago. Used a 5/16" combo and filed a notch in the center and filed the box end down to fit through the opening in the shifter.

Still use it. Awkward getting some things in the car to work on though. LOL

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Just wanted to pass this along. I recently sent my whole shifter assembly and linkage to get rebuilt. Got the unit back, it is tight and doesn't rattle anymore (doesn't get stuck in 1st anymore either) and
only cost me $100 plus ship. Very happy with the work and a fast turn
around.

His name and address follow
Bill Heeley
3621 Mt. Olney Lane
Olney, Maryland, 20832

(301) 774-6710

+1

Bill Heeley did the rebuild for $125. A great deal. He services all toploader shifters.

196936_1651187445191_1402147496_31367275_7591853_n.jpg

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Actually took the shifter handle apart now. Quite easy after de-brazing the lower reverse locker.
All Ford used was an approx. 10" long welding wire internally connected to the T-Bar. Strip down finished now and like to send in the handle parts in for a rechrome. Anybody having an idea what to do with plastic insert inside the T-bar bushing (the round tube that moves upwards together with the T-Bar) ? Think it will get damaged during the rechrome. How to get out without braking it ?

Tiger64

Bronze forum user
You can go ahead and get it chromed. The shop I used assured me when my Tiger shifter was rechromed last year that it wouldn't be harmed and it wasn't. I just disassembled a lockout shifter for my 65 Mustang to get rechromed soon also. Good luck! Chris.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok will try then. Thanks this makes some relief...

By the way the famous Bill H. mentioned before is appearantly selling the T-Bars as standalone. Ordered 2 pcs rightaway from him. Let´s see. Good adress...

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good News. The shifter is rebuild now. Thanks to Bill Heeley I could get a new T-bar. The body was rechromed - no problem with the plastic sleeeve ! Everything reassembled now and looks georgeous. Can´t wait to put it into the Tiger...