Tiger Steering Wheels

brsjal1

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have a few wooden Tiger Steering wheels that I'd like to have restored. Anyone know anybody that does this?? I live in the Northwest U.S. so somebody close by would be a preference.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There are a few guys that can .... But there are also some very good "how to" guides on the various Sunbeam forums and newsletters.

Also Eric G offers a hub replacement kit made from Delrin....

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It all depends on the condition of the wood. I rebuilt mine last year along with one of Eric's hubs. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I have one wheel here that was rebuilt, I know not where... The grip grooves aren't like the originals and the wood feels "chunkier" (thicker). I have another OE wood wheel that has a few cracks (still tight) and a complete top section of wood that is undamaged that could be used if someone had a nice bottom half.

I'm in Washington state

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A friend of mine makes new wood wheels from the stripped Tiger wheels I supply. He does not want to restore old wood wheels as most of the time all of the old wood would have to be removed in order to clean the metal rim and then glue back together using modern epoxy glues. The problem is that there is no way to make sure the old wood is even usable and also the black inserts usually crumble or crack. And just to patch up and then refinish the wood without taking it off of the rim won't take care of the fact that it has separated or will separate from the steel rim. If you need new steering wheel hub repair kits a friend of mine and I supply them. There is more info and photos here.
https://www.catmbr.org/cat-forum/th...ering-wheel-hub-rebuild-kits.5848/#post-45458

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a few wooden Tiger Steering wheels that I'd like to have restored. Anyone know anybody that does this?? I live in the Northwest U.S. so somebody close by would be a preference.
I have used Chris Reed with excellent results. Just sayin'

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the good feedback Sean. We have sold over 100 kits so far and there are lots of good comments from the buyers!