Tiger Tales budget brake upgrade

alsalp

Bronze forum user
Yes, the hey is keeping my 13" polished Halibrand copies and not spend well over a grand for front brakes.
Also the plan is build about 200 hp out of a v6

I heard that Pinto brakes might work alpine steering by swapping sides with the uprights for rear steer (ball joint tapers would have to be adjusted)

Wilwood has Mustang II spindiles with removable/swapable steering arms for $350 a pair.

I actually took my 13" rim to a junk yard a mounted to an 86 Thunderbird.

A little very minor grinding on the caliper and it would work

These are ~10" vented rotors with pretty good size calipers for a Sunbeam

So if the large rotors and calipers could mount to the Mustang II spindles and the ball joints and geometry worked out this cold be a fairly healthy brake package for around $600

Yes I know not exactly light weight but still..

anyone?

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
Custom 10" vented rotors, stock calipers, fits 13" wheels

OP
I also had the need for an "inexpensive" vented rotor that would fit inside a 13" wheel.

I designed a custom adapter that attaches to the stock hub. The custom vented rotor then mounts to the adapter. Custom spacers separate the caliper enough to clear the thicker rotor and allow slightly more airflow to the brake pad. The caliper mounts to the stock location. The modification is completely reversible if the stock brake system is ever needed (but why?).

After I test the system thoroughly, these new parts will be available for someone wishing to retain their 13" wheels and have modern brake performance.

See my "Too Tech Racing" ad in the 'Tiger Hobby Vendor' section of the Forum.

Rick aka "Too Tech Racing"

alsalp

Bronze forum user
very cool
are you machining some off the shelf rotor? what would a kit cost do you think?
what is the diameter and the width compared to the original?

Too Tech

Bronze forum user
The rotor is the same OD as stock and .81" thick. It is machined custom from a cast blank, not some other rotor from another vehicle.

I suspect the kit will be about 650 with new mounting hardware. The adapter is a one time purchase. Replacement rotors , if ever needed, would be about 125 which is about what a stock rotor costs.

Rick

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Yes, the hey is keeping my 13" polished Halibrand copies and not spend well over a grand for front brakes. ...

I know the feeling... I'm real partial to my 14" Epsilon 3-piece 'mesh' wheels ... probably the most unobtainable parts on my whole car lol :eek:

I have 11" Porsche rotors ( .81" ) which are pretty cheap actually... ( $42 each @ Pelican parts )... I suppose they could be turned down to 10" without any issues...
There are some custom made adapters to bolt to the hubs and a very simple bracket to mount my Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston calipers. If you had a machinist 'buddy' that owes you a favor , the 'bought' parts are less than $400...:cool: