Tire recommendation

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My mk1a has 13", 5-1/2" Lat 70 type wheels. I want to buy concours size 185/70-13 tires, which I read is the largest tire alloyed for stock class.
Can anyone recommend a tire?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My mk1a has 13", 5-1/2" Lat 70 type wheels. I want to buy concours size 185/70-13 tires, which I read is the largest tire alloyed for stock class.
Look at:

Goodyear Assurance TripleMax

Dunlop SP Sport

Yokohama BluEarth

Otherwise look at the historic suppliers like corker for veredestein and period michelins

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Good luck as I am in the same position - nothing in Vancouver but no name Chinese tyres

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have found sources for veredestein, Dunlap and Pirelli. They are expensive though.
I looked up Hankook Optima but 185/0-13 size is not sold to someone in Florida. The are manufactured in the USA and are nicely rated.
I don't think tires from Australia are an option for me.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have found sources for veredestein, Dunlap and Pirelli. They are expensive though.
I looked up Hankook Optima but 185/0-13 size is not sold to someone in Florida. The are manufactured in the USA and are nicely rated.
why won't they let you have it in Florida??

Warren

Gold forum user
I've used on line Tire delivered to their installers shop. The Kuhmo tires were cheap at under 60 bucks each. But the sidewalk was rather busy. Of course there's several prior 13" tire discussions here on the forum and more seem to be available then in the past.
Most all have all weather patterns. For a real good look check out the micro cars like the Bug-eye AH and others at your British meets.
Possibly some get DOT garbage all over the sidewall. The Veredstein and Coker are most pricey but are less cluttered on the sidewall.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Even the expensive tyres in 13" are probably cheaper than decent sport tyres on a 17-18" wheel...
Pirelli and Michelin etc make decent quality tyres..
The issue isnt so much finding the size... It would be accepting paying for it
I posted the links from the australian sites as i just looked up what local tyre shops had.. There were plenty of chinese and brands i dont know in that size... I just figured a tiger owner would want decent quality tyres of their car.

As for availability... If i can get them in Au... Im sure the usa being a much larger market can get them

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I would have thought so too, but nothing but no name Chinese in Vancouver.....................The only alternative that I can fine is to import from Coker in the US and pay 350 CAD per tyre

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I don't know. Discount tire does not carry them in 185/70-13, and nobody else does, at least online.
I looked in a quick bing search.. Found Hankook at discounttirezone.com but in a 175/70/13 in stock and $55 ea. The site even took paypal. You can get Khumo in a 185/70/13 from wal mart, ($83) but the sidewall is fugly. Uniroyal still makes the Tiger Paw in a 175/70/13 too... (about $106). Much better availability for the 175/70/13

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Would it be better to use a bias ply tire if you are using the same stock suspension because of the stiffer sidewalls ? It must have a lot of effect on the handling of the car

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The original look of the stock car with the optional white wall tires looks really sharp Although I do like the look of the redline tires but that is a Mustang trend

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Would Lat 70 “type” wheels be allowed in stock class or is that modified class ?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tony

According to TEAE rules, LAT options are permitted in the stock class. I believe the other clubs follow that rule as well.

Here is a pic of my Tiger with bias ply white walls mounted on the factory wheels.

044D94B7-9BB0-445D-8BEB-321DAE0DDE9C.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Tony

According to TEAE rules, LAT options are permitted in the stock class. I believe the other clubs follow that rule as well.

Here is a pic of my Tiger with bias ply white walls mounted on the factory wheels.

View attachment 16028
Very sharp looking Tiger. That is the way I want my wheels to look when I get to that part of the restoration, luckily I have the cross style original trims. Where did you source your tires ? Thanks

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maxxis do a 165/80/13 with a 1" white wall which is a radial in the closest modern size to the original bia ply. A Maxxis MA 1

download_20190418_222023.png

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Very sharp looking Tiger. That is the way I want my wheels to look when I get to that part of the restoration, luckily I have the cross style original trims. Where did you source your tires ? Thanks
The tires are BF Goodrich Silvertown, 6.00x13 bias ply with 1” WW. I got them from Universal Vintage Tire…but I checked and they do not seem to carry them anymore. I think you can still get them from Coker.

The Maxxis look very nice and have the benefit of being a modern radial. I only use the bias ply for AACA judging or other shows where originality is a major factor.