Top loader shifter versions

D

dgraway

Since it is to cold to do much outside here in Minnesota right now I thought I would try to figure out what the actual difference is in the 2 versions of ford top loader shifter levers and which would have been original to my tiger (B9472344).

As far as I can tell the shorter shift lever was first and then was changed to a longer lever somewhere around B9472000 or so. This info came from CAT Parts BON that I borrowed awhile back. I also searched the CAT forum and TEAE and didn't find any posts regarding this question. This makes me think I should look for a longer version of the shift lever use with my manual transmission.

Does anyone know what the actual length of each version of shift lever is? I am collecting parts to put my original manual transmission back into car, currently has an automatic tranny installed, and would prefer to use the correct shift lever.

Any pics, measurements, etc of each version would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I measured my short shifter once for member and I believe it was approx. 8" in length. I was told it was also used in the 1963 galaxie. The long one may interchange with the Mustang but I don't know for sure. I have a spare long one so I will check that one out to confirm.
2i956k0.jpg

bill37341

Bronze forum user
shifter length

B382000521 shifter measures 11 1/2" (w/o handle) and my short shifter is 8 1/8". Hope this helps. Bill.

Erich

Gold forum user
The tiger shifter is NOT a mustang shifter.

Mustang shifters are longer and have a near 90 degree bend in them.
They are also designed for rubber grommets and shoulder bolt attachment to the shifter body.

Tiger handle direct connects with regular hex bolts.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
shifter

Hi Dan, for repair of any kind or replacement try Bill Heeley
3621 Mt. Olney Lane
Olney Maryland
I don't have any email or phone number but someone out there might.
I hope this helps.
Brian

P.S. I think you should have the long shifter according to your vin.
I believe if he doesn't have a replacement he can make one.

Warren

Gold forum user
Ouch

After much time under the dash on these cars I see the greatest advantage of the short shifter is less gouging of your head when wriggling under the dash.

Well it does look cooler too and my MK1 has an incorrect long one as well.

I am missing the chrome under plastic part of the shift ball as well is that available any place?

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=67220.0

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/archive/index.php/t-610.html

Bill's name and phone number shows on this link above. Please advise me what you find out.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The chrome part under the knob comes with the repro knobs .. Not sure if sold separate, but they are only about $20 for the pair

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
CAT Part Number B50

I am missing the chrome under plastic part of the shift ball as well is that available any place?

Warren,

CAT part number B50 includes the knob and the chromed lock ring. The price is $13, but please check with Mr. Graf regarding availability.

David

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks guys

I was looking at the parts yesterday but I was looking to see if we carried the alternator bracket picture and the MK2 clutch slave bracket. I did not think about it much as I got a 2 dollar knob at the swap meet with an enameled Sunbeam crest. I just took off the black knob and set it aside. Funny how my MK1a and my MK1 were both missing the same part, despite the Scott Drake Mustang tag on the 1a's knob.

D

dgraway

Long and short

Thanks everyone for pic, measurements and info. This will all help when I pull out my tranny and shifter parts and start putting together parts list of items to look for.

slypops

Gold forum user
Interesting!

So the short shifter in my 382000974 has ended up there after the fact? Norm verified the tranny and rear were original, and the shifter sure doesn't show any scratches underneath in the well?... If so Warren, mayb we should switch shifters to recorrect the to original configuration! lol

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Swapped

So the short shifter in my 382000974 has ended up there after the fact? Norm verified the tranny and rear were original, and the shifter sure doesn't show any scratches underneath in the well?... If so Warren, mayb we should switch shifters to recorrect the to original configuration! lol

Be glad to trade ya one of my long'ns fer a shorty.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I called Bill and got on the waiting list for a short shifter--guess these are popular.......

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Here is the angle of the long shifter--different than the Mustang. These are both Tiger.

21m6e4m.jpg