Toploader problem

drbill

Gold forum user
I need some collective wisdom from the group. As I've finished the mechanical refurbishing on my Tiger, I've been driving it around a bit. I had noticed before that the gearbox was a bit notchy on downshifting, but I figured some worn syncros. Upshifting was fine. Now, on two occasions, I've found myself stuck in one gear, unable to shift at all. I got it to a trusted shop and have ruled out a slave cylinder issue or clutch issue. Some tweaking on the shift linkage seemed to solve the issue the first time, but it has happened again. They looked and they think it's an issue inside the box. Evidently, everything with the linkage is lining up as it should.
Fluid in the box: Redline 75/90 NS
Clutch system has been flushed/bled.
Time for a rebuild? Other possibilities? :confused:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Diagnosis ??

Long distance diagnosis is really really iffy, but my first thought would agree with Duke and slide a 1/4" drill bit into the shifter box hole and see if anything is still moving around that shouldn't be. I have seen pattern wears inside top loaders that create minor binding issues but a Tiger just flat doesn't have all the power vs weight that would injure one. Before I went thru all the hoopla of getting into a tranny, it makes more sense to eliminate the shifter and/or linkage alignment issues.

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I'll throw this out there (no pun intended) a clutch plate spring.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I had this problem when I installed the Hurst shift linkage years ago--several times stuck in gear.

drbill

Gold forum user
Thanks, guys. I'm hoping for a linkage issue... I'm gonna try to drive to the United in TN next weekend.
Bill:)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good & Safe Trip

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping for a linkage issue... I'm gonna try to drive to the United in TN next weekend.
Bill:)

Have fun & pattern the "H" slow and easy. Or Not . . . . . .