Toploader Shifter Washers

tiger260

Gold forum user
Hi all,

Contained in the toploader shifter mechanism are 2 brass washers around 0.005" in thickness.
They sit under the sort of U shaped bracket on the side with the spring attached.

On my gearbox, one of these washers has worn to the point where is has cracked in several places and may break up.

I wondered if anyone else had had this problem and what they did to solve it.

The Toploaderheaven website do a shifter refurb kit which has a ridged washer in it that may be their replacement for them but they aren't answering e-mails or calls at the moment so I don't know if this is the case.

Any help that anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Shifter

Check Vintage Ford Shifters on eBay. Bill Healy specializes in Toploader trans shifters. Also, Dan Williams.

tiger260

Gold forum user
Thanks for the replies.

I've just looked on the Dan Williams Toploader site and it looks promising.
Unfortunately, I'm in the UK so a phone call could get pricey quickly.

Does anyone know if he has an e-mail address I could use to get in touch?

Coolvt

Bronze forum user
My local NAPA parts store has drawers of assorted sized brass washers. You might check local parts store in the UK ?
Mark L

tiger260

Gold forum user
My local NAPA parts store has drawers of assorted sized brass washers. You might check local parts store in the UK ?
Mark L

Getting hold of small parts like nuts, bolts and washers etc can be a comedy over here.

(If I had time I would tell you the tale of buying grade 8 UNF bolts. :eek:)

Getting hold of anything special is a nightmare.

Anyway, I'm going to get a shifter kit from Vintage Ford Shifters sent over. (Thanks for the info billm)

Also...big thanks to Gene Padgett for his superb help with this and a previous search for a gearbox vent.

Great bloke. Thanks Gene!

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Thanks Martin, nothing like a success experience in being able to help nice people. I certainly have been on the receiving end over the years and appreciate the chances that arise to give back at least a little.:)

Cheers mate, Gene