Toploader tailshaft housing

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just seeking for a quick confirmation:

Heard somewhere that the Toplader tailshaft housing is Tiger specific. True ? If yes have to get my spare one refurbished. Unfortunately one of the rubber mount screwholes has broken off. Know it's not gonna be easy since cast iron but we have a capable welding shop over here...

Erich

Gold forum user
Not true.

The Tiger toploader is the same as the one used in the 1963 Ford Fairlane.

Not a common trans but not unique.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Germany

Harder to find in Europe for sure but with the popularity of 5 & 6 speed conversions you might get lucky Bernd. Do a part wanted ad here, at home and the UK.

Best wishes. Rick

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Noted with thanks. Hate to throw away original stuff so may give welding a try. Will post a wanted add if it fails...

CT Tiger

Silver forum user
Tigers use the 27 1/2" tail shaft housing ,mine is out and on the bench if you need any info .

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sounds better. David Kee has an excellent website & parts coverage. However he doesn't do the tools as provided with the Toploaderheaven top line kits. Any recommendations?

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
+1 for David Kee Toploaders. I used his master rebuild kit, and found it quite complete. The rebuild instructions that came with the kit were better than the textbook I was using. As for the tail housing, cores come up on Ebay from time to time. If you can't get yours fixed, keep an eye out for one of those.