TU 42

Steven43

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would like to thank Dan Whitely and his team from STOA for hosting TU42 in Wine Country. It was great to be presented with the Lord Rootes trophy for the second year in a row. In that regard, I want to thank my mechanic of over 40 years, Dan Walters; Rick from Sunbeam Specialties; Martha of Pro Prep Interiors; and Mike M in the Valley. They all helped a lot when I decided to take this Mark I to stock.

Here are some of the high and low-lights of TU42:

High: The hotel was car friendly and low cost, plus just off the 101 freeway.
Low: the President of STOA had his catalytic converter stolen out of his truck

High: AutoX at Sears Point/Sonoma Speedway went well, and the bonus 60 mph laps around the big track was fantastic. The box lunch at the track was best ever, A+
Low: People said it was crazy $$$$ to rent the AutoX space. (Hope this is wrong.)

High: Rally in the wine country on a Friday in a Tiger was wonderful.
Low: It was 10 times harder than last year’s rally in Santa Maria—too much math.

High: Concour at Sonoma Plaza: hundreds of people, great weather, and other great lunch, over-the-top location
Low: There will never be an all-Tiger car show setting as good as in Sonoma.

Additional low: the Tiger quiz was crazy hard, a 5-6, two-sided pager. Required math and spelling skills besides obscure Tiger trivia and TU knowledge—nuts! Must have taken Rob G months to come up with this stuff. Congratulations, Rob. I was crushed and humiliated. At least he had to spend the rest of his TU scoring quizzes.

Additional high: Jerry J. metalic red modified Tiger. Best paint job I have seen on a Tiger in years. (It win most popular.) Also Gregory P.’s green with white stripes modified . He did the whole restoration in a year.
There are guys in this club who I have known for a decade and I still haven’t seen their car.

Thanks again to STOA for a fun event!

Steven Alcala
Photos
past Lord Rootes winners
this year's Lord Rootes winner
most popular
Dan and Rick

DSCN0067 (1).JPG

DSCN0031 (1).JPG

DSCN0044 (1).JPG

DSCN0071 (1).JPG

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nice pics and commentary! How come you guys never age? LOL! I did a little work on one your photos...enjoy:)

TU42 Sonoma.JPG

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup, THAT TU Quiz was Out there.

I managed to get 3rd place.

But THAT doesn't begin to tell the story.

As near as I can tell, I got 38.5 out of 48 regular questions.

But in reality, I only got 38.5 out of 63 correct answers.

AND then there were the Tie Breaker questions!

It was stated the top 5 finishers needed the Tie Breakers

to get the final ranking.

My Hat is off to Pat K and Terry T for putting me in my place.

And to Rob for pointing out how little we really know.

DW

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yup, THAT TU Quiz was Out there.

I managed to get 3rd place.

But THAT doesn't begin to tell the story.

As near as I can tell, I got 38.5 out of 48 regular questions.

But in reality, I only got 38.5 out of 63 correct answers.

AND then there were the Tie Breaker questions!

It was stated the top 5 finishers needed the Tie Breakers

to get the final ranking.

My Hat is off to Pat K and Terry T for putting me in my place.

And to Rob for pointing out how little we really know.

DW
Dan it's more confusing for you with answers .. you have to filter the factory/historical knowledge from all your modifying and development knowledge 😜

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I would like to thank Dan Whitely and his team from STOA for hosting TU42 in Wine Country. It was great to be presented with the Lord Rootes trophy for the second year in a row. In that regard, I want to thank my mechanic of over 40 years, Dan Walters; Rick from Sunbeam Specialties; Martha of Pro Prep Interiors; and Mike M in the Valley. They all helped a lot when I decided to take this Mark I to stock.

Here are some of the high and low-lights of TU42:

High: The hotel was car friendly and low cost, plus just off the 101 freeway.
Low: the President of STOA had his catalytic converter stolen out of his truck

High: AutoX at Sears Point/Sonoma Speedway went well, and the bonus 60 mph laps around the big track was fantastic. The box lunch at the track was best ever, A+
Low: People said it was crazy $$$$ to rent the AutoX space. (Hope this is wrong.)

High: Rally in the wine country on a Friday in a Tiger was wonderful.
Low: It was 10 times harder than last year’s rally in Santa Maria—too much math.

High: Concour at Sonoma Plaza: hundreds of people, great weather, and other great lunch, over-the-top location
Low: There will never be an all-Tiger car show setting as good as in Sonoma.

Additional low: the Tiger quiz was crazy hard, a 5-6, two-sided pager. Required math and spelling skills besides obscure Tiger trivia and TU knowledge—nuts! Must have taken Rob G months to come up with this stuff. Congratulations, Rob. I was crushed and humiliated. At least he had to spend the rest of his TU scoring quizzes.

Additional high: Jerry J. metalic red modified Tiger. Best paint job I have seen on a Tiger in years. (It win most popular.) Also Gregory P.’s green with white stripes modified . He did the whole restoration in a year.
There are guys in this club who I have known for a decade and I still haven’t seen their car.

Thanks again to STOA for a fun event!

Steven Alcala
Photos
past Lord Rootes winners
this year's Lord Rootes winner
most popular
Dan and Rick

View attachment 17970

View attachment 17971

View attachment 17972

View attachment 17973
Congrats Steven on your beautiful restoration. I learned a lot at my first TU. I'd also like to say thank you for your compliment on my one-year restoration. It wasn't a race, but as I explained to you, Bill Martin, Patrick and a few others, I became obsessed with the project. My praise lies with the associates that provided body and paint, engine rebuild, interior components, suspension bits, and every other nut bolt and wire, I simply took it apart and re-assembled the puzzle. To be honest, if the motor and paint didn't take 8 months each and were done in 4, I'd have shaved 3 months on the build!
Happy miles to all, Gregory P