Upcoming LAT Hoods!!!

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Latest update for the group. Molds done, polished and first test part laid up. Minor details to do to the inner skin mold, I made it oversize on purpose. I’ll have more details very soon.

1C6032F9-897E-42DB-B843-78B84484458D.jpeg

35156347-03F6-43F5-9867-C777DD7B9BB8.jpeg

AD75971C-390E-4962-A421-B65E83E38E1E.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are the captive nuts molded into the bonnet mounts and striker ? Or this is just a test mold to check fit?

Ash31479

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Looking good! add me to the round corner list please.

Last edited:

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Are the captive nuts molded into the bonnet mounts and striker ? Or this is just a test mold to check fit?
I will be adding metal stock into the lay-up for the hinge mounts. You will have to mark and drill, tap for your own car. I’ve tried to pre-drill, the hoods are different enough to really need marking while on the car they will be used on. I am planning on a bit of a video explaining how I did mine, and it is centered. The latch area is still a work in progress as it needs to move around slightly for alignment.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Danno,
Since this thread with it's list for persons wanting to purchase a hood is morphing into parts for sale I suggest you may want to start a new thread in the appropriate section for future posts.
Buck
Admin

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ok Gang. Update time again. I've found an issue with the outer skin, not a correct curve at the cowl end. As the pictures show, the center section has a few wowies to remove. I'll be doing a bit of sanding to the mold to hopefully cure the problem. It is something I can fix, with a bit of effort. Funny what you notice while sitting back and enjoying your work, Darn. I could just leave the final fitting to the customer and his body-man, I'm not that kind of guy. I had hoped for a better announcement to go with Tiger's United, Darn again.

tempImagerQMUXP.png

tempImageQQyiFd.png

tempImage8yJNWy.png

tempImageo6whCZ.png

tempImage6oiJ1T.png

BF66Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hey Danno, please add me to the list. Since the last post is months ago where do you stand on production? Have you put a price on them? Thanks, Bill

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Where did you get the steel scooped hood? Are they still available? Thanks!
I had the scoop made years ago... patterned after an Aston Martin DB5... the guy who made the scoop for me did a beautiful job welding it and installed a wired edge at the front. Unfortunately, he has since shuffled off his mortal coil. I made up the exhaust vents about three years ago and welded those in myself. I copied the vents from a fibreglass hood, but made them in 18 ga steel. The screens in the vents are metal screens used for applying stucco or plaster I bought the material from Home Depot and had it powder coated. They're just held in place with strategically placed dots of silicone.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Is it just the angle or the scoop is quite a bit wider?
It's quite a bit wider than a normal LAT hood. Additionally, the surface of the hood extends about 6" past the scoop opening. This is for 2 reasons, better directed air to the air cleaner and when I wash the car water doesn't pour right through!

BF66Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I had the scoop made years ago... patterned after an Aston Martin DB5... the guy who made the scoop for me did a beautiful job welding it and installed a wired edge at the front. Unfortunately, he has since shuffled off his mortal coil. I made up the exhaust vents about three years ago and welded those in myself. I copied the vents from a fibreglass hood, but made them in 18 ga steel. The screens in the vents are metal screens used for applying stucco or plaster I bought the material from Home Depot and had it powder coated. They're just held in place with strategically placed dots of silicone.
Thanks for the response! Any idea if someone is building these out of steel or fiberglass?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Thanks for the response! Any idea if someone is building these out of steel or fiberglass?
I'll post some pics of the back side of my hood tomorrow.. I do not know of anyone making steel hoods... Danno66 is currently the source for fibreglass hoods

Danno66

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hey Danno66! What is the status of the fiberglass repops of the LAT hood with scoops?
You mean these? Ready for production, after I finish vacation at Laguna Seca this week. I’ll be doing a full, new ad for the Parts section then. Showing to the STOA crew this weekend.

IMG_2922.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg