Use of a C4 transmission in a tiger?

Flared1965Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I recently drove a Tiger and found the pedalbox really tight for my size 12's. Has anyone any direct or anecdotal experience with installing a C4 or C6 transmission in a Tiger. My tunnel is unmolested and I would like to keep it that way.

Peter

P.S. I currently have an un-installed Tremec Cobra 5 Speed that would require one of several seemingly expensive mods to fit, starting with exchanging my long tailhousing for one that one of the kits will fit.

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I have size 12's and know your pain. Shoe choice is key. I have also installed cruise control for any time I am on the open road.

Personally, I would never disgrace the Tiger with a slush-box.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Ditto

I am 76" tall and wear a 14. I have no problem with finding the pedals. Even better with slim shoes like Brooks PureFlow runners.

Both my Tigers are Mk1A which have (factory) improved seat position and higher steering wheel.

Rick

Warren

Gold forum user
I told you so .

Even size 8 and a half running shoes can't be worn by me.
Please don't make me live up to my comment I'll still be your pal if you do such a unthinkable mod.

Maybe some of those grip lined hospital socks as I embarrassed my self stalling while backinginto a parking spot at the local car gig.

Socks are nice especially with the proximity of the room heater I mean motor.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
transmission

i know of a 1997 tiger that has an auto and it's probably the best tiger i have ever driven. of course it also tows a car trailer.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am 11.5US and dont have an issue with pedals.. more the lack of leg room.. cant really stretch your legs without modding the accelerator setup to allow it to go further forward, but you need to make a longer throttle cable to allow it to extend more or you break the stock one.

RHD tigers seem better as the tunnel doesn't get it in the way of the accelerator pedal and you can stretch your legs more.. maybe i should covert it.. :rolleyes:

AshUK

Silver forum user
Both my Tigers are Mk1A which have (factory) improved seat position and higher steering wheel.

Rick

Hi Rick

Very interesting. I know the mk1a had a different scuttle panel to allow the steering column to be raised but what was the improved seating position please buddy:confused:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
I mentioned CC in my Tiger. When I am on a road Trip and hit the road with full tanks, I settle in by engaging the CC and take my shoes off. With just socks on I can extent my legs completely by placing them under the pedal and against the fire wall. I don't do this other than to stretch but it sure is nice.

CC makes all the difference when you are traveling 600-800 miles a day.

Here is what I installed
B00029WQTW_1336251428__35369_zoom.jpg

http://www.carisini.com/products/Au...um-Cruise-Control-%2d%2d-3K5NO00029JDGJ6.html

Got the idea from Larry Paulick's article -
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/PaulickCruise/rt-PaulickCruise.asp

Last edited:

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Not sure of that myself

Floor, seats and the rails maybe all the same for all Tiger's. I have found Mk1 Tigers less comfortable when I have driven them.

I do use a trick that helps a tall driver. Under the rear of seat there is a two position doohicky which has the effect of providing a high or low position for the seat. (front is hinged but fixed height). The trick? Just remove the doohicky and the seat drops a little lower still.

Rick

Hi Rick

Very interesting. I know the mk1a had a different scuttle panel to allow the steering column to be raised but what was the improved seating position please buddy:confused:

Flared1965Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I also found, as one of the comments noted, the fact that my knees were greatly restricted by the steering wheel at stock size. Not possessing the stock steering wheel I think a smaller wheel, an electric power assist, and the Miget rack and associated mods to steering arm and tie rod ends ends would be an adequate solution, but again find the fix prohibitively expensive. I have found the electric power steering units as low as $500 but that is without the black box which allows it to operate as if there were an onboard computer.
I intend to use this Tiger as a daily driver as I shuttle the 6 miles between my home and work; so for me, at this time, without the original steering wheel, engine or transmission demanding to be installed, driveability is the most pressing issue.

Pete

maicoh

Bronze forum user
My Tiger has had a C4 in it since the 70's It is a bracket racer that i have owned since 96. It is a manual reverse shift with a custom 9in converter that can shift faster than any man alive. Take off you burn rubber, hit 2nd you burn rubber, hit 3rd and you are already going to fast to worry about it.There is no cutting of the tunnel, the only mod is a +1/2in on the drive shaft. There is no arm,and leg excercise needed. It just depends on how fast you want to get there. There is a reason all high end cars offer manual shift autos. By the way I also drive a 425hp ford powered TVR with a 4 speed.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I Fitzz

Mom & Dad built me with small hands & feet and I'm shrinking with age, so there's no problem wedging into a Tiger. . . .:p

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I took the c4 out of my Tiger about 14 years ago. I just wanted an original tranny. The swap back to toploader was straightforward. The stock shifter opening was cut a little but not much. The original shifter ring covers the opening completely. I have the mustant gt shifter, the tranny ,torque converter, bellhousing , driveshaft (I think everything) taking up room in a shed. Tranny had fluid leak but worked fine. I've been thinking about making some room in the shed.

maicoh

Bronze forum user
I have gone through 2 B&M mega shifters when the tranny was forward pattern. Now it uses a TCI Lightning for reverse pattern. The transmission is a PA competition model.

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Leg room

A little off topic, but does anyone know what the purpose is of the passenger footwell plate? To further reduce leg room in an already small car? I'm currently assembling my MKI 1705 and in preparing for the upholstery, I'm wondering if I should ditch the footwell plate? Or is there some purpose for it that I haven't discovered...

Bob K
B9471705
B9471929

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It is a foot rest for the passengers, allows them a level and comfortable surface to rest their feet instead of the odd shaped pressing of the factory floor as it curves up.

Similar to the foot rests navigators have in rally cars.

Warren

Gold forum user
Also

Just like in air cooled VW's as well, I have a really sexy PO creation of a period correct grooved and groovy walnut veneer paneling, Trade ya...
:rolleyes: