Valve Cover - Engine number sticker stamping

ctgscott

New forum user
CAT Member
Hi all, with a recent engine rebuild my engine # sticker on the valve cover was lost. I have since gotten a blank replica, but I realize that I haven't the faintest idea who would still have a typewriter or other pressing tool to inscribe this thing properly. And, now that I am on the subject, is there a 'correct' sticker vs. an incorrect one? I ordered one from Ebay and its design and dimensions seem approriate, but I don't know about the foil thickness. I welcome any thoughts that you can offer! Thank you in advance!!!

Sincerely,
Scott C.

Original:
EngineNumbers.jpg

New One:
EngineNumbers_blank.jpg

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Hi Scott,

You can buy sets of individual letter/number stamps online or at a tool store. I had one I used for numbering connecting rods but forget where I got it and don't know what happened to it. The font on the sticker looks pretty universal so you should be able to find a set of stamps that matches.

-Jon

ctgscott

New forum user
CAT Member
Thank you, Jon! I had been thinking in terms of 'trophy store' or something similar with engraving or etching rather than heavier punching. I had dropped by my local trophy shop and they looked at me a little curiously. Your advice has pushed me in the right direction. McMaster-Carr has a large selection of industrial punch tools. Below is one of them. The font looks really close and there is a selection of sizes (I am thinking the 1/8" type size is about right). Unfortunately, rather expensive for a single use.

https://www.mcmaster.com/stamps/character-height~1-8/build-your-own-metal-type-stamps-7/

I have a friend that runs a tool and die business, and another that runs a commercial door business (they number punch master keys regularly) perhaps one of them already has these tools. If need be, would anybody be interested in becoming the keeper of a donated punch tool and character set and the official puncher of foil stickers? I would hate to have a single use tool lying around in my garage.

Warren

Gold forum user
I talked to Mike a high end fabricator on his parts. He's a jewelry maker by trade.
He's made some really nice Mercedes-Benz badges and said he's got a ton of stamps.

ctgscott

New forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, 65beam! Great recommendation. For anyone looking at this in the future, Harbor Freight has a set of 1/8" letter/number punches, here:
1/8-in-steel-letternumber-stamping-set-36-pc

I can't quite see the font from their image on the web, but the price is so low that you can experiment without worry, I think. Unfortunately, if you need the '-' (dash) symbol, this set doesn't have one.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Scott, if you know anyone with an old Remington or Underwood manual typewriter you can use that. There’s a guy close to me and has used this method to help other people. Cut yourself a couple pieces of paper and practice how you like it layed out, and when your ready the this foil decal will be easy. If you don’t know anyone with a manual typewriter maybe a second hand store or antique store will let you use theirs for a few bucks.

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks, 65beam! Great recommendation. For anyone looking at this in the future, Harbor Freight has a set of 1/8" letter/number punches, here:
1/8-in-steel-letternumber-stamping-set-36-pc

I can't quite see the font from their image on the web, but the price is so low that you can experiment without worry, I think. Unfortunately, if you need the '-' (dash) symbol, this set doesn't have one.
I have a contact that can likely help you stamp your valve cover tags Send me a PM and I'll send you his contact information.

Rick

Last edited: