webbers on a alpine

steven

Gold forum user
I have had my 2 x 40DCOE webbers fitted for about 5 years. I am happy with them except for the starting. Maybe I am just getting older, however the starting sequence involves pumping the throttle repeatedly while turning the starter. Pulling the choke has some small assistance. After about 3 minutes or so, the motor will catch, keep going and it will finally come to life.
With the rebuild, the mechanical pump was kitted.
I am starting to think about an electric pump to feed fuel to the carby's.
I have a new electric fuel pump waiting for my Tiger, would it be a good choice to replace the mechanical pump?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"weber" carbs

Steven,

the mechanical pump shouldn't cause issues at starting.. normally they suffer at higher RPM when the webers draw to much fuel for the pump to supply.

I'm also surprised you have a choke attached, i didn't even bother.. i normally do 2 prods on the throttle if the car has sat a while and fire it, and hold the revs at 1000 as it catches. If the car has been used within 24 hours.. just turn the key and it fires. the webers spit a lot of fuel into the motor.

If i was you:
check timing
Check spark you are getting from the plugs
battery condition
Is you starter giving a good spin?

How are the carbs jetted? If you are pumping and pullign the choke for 3 minutes maybe the car is getting to much fuel.. you are pumping away and they will be spraying a lot of fuel maybe its flooding it a little?

If you are going to switch to an electric pump, remember to get a high flow low pressure pump (fuel flo pumps from NZ do one) but that shouldn't be the issue.

steven

Gold forum user
Thanks Michael, the car sits for a long time before starting is attempted. When it has been running, no problem, starts instantly. Timing is good, spark plugs also. I cannot see any problem with the webbers draining fuel. At one time I had a split fuel line to one carb, it was spitting fuel quite well onto the headers.
Guess I will have to use the usual method, pump, pump, pump the pedal. When it starts, pump pump again and then we have motion, sounding as webbers do.

Last outing to the QLD (Australia) RACQ show I had my 40 year old son with me. At the traffic lights, up a hill, I let it loose. The sound of the webbers in full song, the engine hitting 6 grand was pricless. My son told me to shut it down, lots of cops around. He also said the look on the Holden (Chevie) drivers face as I opened up was priceless.:D:D:D:D

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Still,

Seems a bit odd that you are having the difficulty starting.. 3 mins is a looooong time.

Also.. have to correct you... it's "webers' ... not "webber", double B is our soon to retire Aussie F1 hero. :cool: