What do you think of this restomod?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The car was delivered the other day. The restorer/builder did a fantastic job with it. The quality of the work is really impressive. I've only driven it up and down the driveway. I stalled it the first time; fairly hard clutch and I left the parking brake on. I think it is tradition from way back to do the first drive with the parking brake on, so that box checked. It is too loud for my liking, so I'll see about quieting it down a bit. Haven't had it up on the lift yet, but peeking underneath looks like adequate room for larger mufflers or resonators. It also is like new underneath. It has about 100 miles on it, so been through a number of owners, but not driven much.

Strange thing with registering it. I bought it as a 1965 (as advertised). If you see one of the posts above, it was originally a 1966 car in Ontario, then in BC. It went to the States and was registered there as a 1965 (the year it was built, not the year it was first on the road). When it came back to Canada (Manitoba) for some reason it stayed a 1965. At the license office the woman said "oh, this car is already in our system from when it was first registered here in 1966, so I'll use that information". I didn't think much of it until I looked at the ownership and saw it is now back to being a 1966.

A few little things need to be done to it before I get the Safety check and get it on the road. I think it is a beautiful car.

Rick

View attachment 17860
I had a 2" exhaust custom made for my car and used magnaflow mufflers. I took the car back to the exhaust shop the next day and explained, "I'm not 16 anymore". they installed a pair of small resonators behind the wheels under the trunk floor. they aren't visible unless you bend down and look under the car, but they sure did the job! I can hear myself think and I can listen to the radio...

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The car was delivered the other day. The restorer/builder did a fantastic job with it. The quality of the work is really impressive. I've only driven it up and down the driveway. I stalled it the first time; fairly hard clutch and I left the parking brake on. I think it is tradition from way back to do the first drive with the parking brake on, so that box checked. It is too loud for my liking, so I'll see about quieting it down a bit. Haven't had it up on the lift yet, but peeking underneath looks like adequate room for larger mufflers or resonators. It also is like new underneath. It has about 100 miles on it, so been through a number of owners, but not driven much.

Strange thing with registering it. I bought it as a 1965 (as advertised). If you see one of the posts above, it was originally a 1966 car in Ontario, then in BC. It went to the States and was registered there as a 1965 (the year it was built, not the year it was first on the road). When it came back to Canada (Manitoba) for some reason it stayed a 1965. At the license office the woman said "oh, this car is already in our system from when it was first registered here in 1966, so I'll use that information". I didn't think much of it until I looked at the ownership and saw it is now back to being a 1966.

A few little things need to be done to it before I get the Safety check and get it on the road. I think it is a beautiful car.

Rick

View attachment 17860
Enjoy your Tiger Rick, and put some miles on it (or kilometres) !

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
I had a 2" exhaust custom made for my car and used magnaflow mufflers. I took the car back to the exhaust shop the next day and explained, "I'm not 16 anymore". they installed a pair of small resonators behind the wheels under the trunk floor. they aren't visible unless you bend down and look under the car, but they sure did the job! I can hear myself think and I can listen to the radio...
Exactly! I've had 2 Shelby Cobra replicas with outside exhaust, which explains my poor hearing these days. The guys delivering it didn't think it was too loud, but I do; and my wife does which is of course an important factor. My brother said he added some resonators to a car and that really helped. The quick look I had under it looked like enough clearance for those, so that's a consideration. Anyone added some cats to reduce the exhaust smell, or is that getting too silly?

Rick

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Enjoy your Tiger Rick, and put some miles on it (or kilometres) !
Thank you very much. Looking forward to it. It has a GPS speedometer that says "MPH" on it, and I think that is what it is indicating. The instructions show how to calibrate it for either MPH or KPH. Since it only has an indicated 112 miles on it now, I'm not concerned with the mileage being messed up in going from one system to another. I'll make sure it is reading KPH so I don't go 100 MPH when I think I"m doing 100 KPH.

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
I've had the Tiger on the road for a few weeks now and really like it.

First cruise night. Notice the theme for the people interested in the car? Fortunately I fit right in!

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 1.08.03 PM.jpg

Even won a trophy:

Screenshot 2023-06-30 at 12.57.45 PM.jpg

I replaced the Magnaflow straight-through mufflers with some chambered ones. The pipes are 2 1/4". Made a little difference in sound level, but not much. The engine is 347 ci and apparently dyno'd at 430 lb.ft of torque. That means a very serious engine, almost race territory. So it isn't going to be quieted down with mufflers. I suspect high compression and a very serious cam.

I got used to driving it and it is really nice, but for me, the engine is far too radical for this car. Maybe that is why it went through 3 previous owners (after the one who built it) without much mileage being added? I don't have any info on the engine, other than the power it produced. I've given it a good look-over with a friend of mine who knows more about engines than most people building them. He said if the numbers are correct, someone really knew what they were doing to put it together.

All other aspects I really like. I think with a more stock engine, even at 347 ci, it would really be a pleasure to drive. So the thinking right now is to pull (or drop) the engine after this driving season and either swap it with a more stock 302 or take this one apart to see what it has inside, and swap heads and cam to something much more streetable. I don't have any info on the build so really have to take it apart to learn more.

When I sell my Factory Five 818C I'll need a winter project anyways.

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've had the Tiger on the road for a few weeks now and really like it.

First cruise night. Notice the theme for the people interested in the car? Fortunately I fit right in!

View attachment 18055

Even won a trophy:

View attachment 18056

I replaced the Magnaflow straight-through mufflers with some chambered ones. The pipes are 2 1/4". Made a little difference in sound level, but not much. The engine is 347 ci and apparently dyno'd at 430 lb.ft of torque. That means a very serious engine, almost race territory. So it isn't going to be quieted down with mufflers. I suspect high compression and a very serious cam.

I got used to driving it and it is really nice, but for me, the engine is far too radical for this car. Maybe that is why it went through 3 previous owners (after the one who built it) without much mileage being added? I don't have any info on the engine, other than the power it produced. I've given it a good look-over with a friend of mine who knows more about engines than most people building them. He said if the numbers are correct, someone really knew what they were doing to put it together.

All other aspects I really like. I think with a more stock engine, even at 347 ci, it would really be a pleasure to drive. So the thinking right now is to pull (or drop) the engine after this driving season and either swap it with a more stock 302 or take this one apart to see what it has inside, and swap heads and cam to something much more streetable. I don't have any info on the build so really have to take it apart to learn more.

Rick
I had the same issue with noise levels. I'm not 16 anymore... had some resonators installed behind the tires. you can see right through the bore, but It made a big difference.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I have a video of the dyno run from the engine builder ( Precision Race Engines ) and the file format wont load on here so I emailed it to you

I think the builder is in Tn. and it was shipped up the the B.C. border

a bit blurry on the dyno screen but it looks like 426hp@5500 and 432tq@4400

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
I did manage to track down all the specs on the engine build. And yes, it is fairly radical and not really a good match for the car (a light car with highway gearing). The compression ratio is around 10.9:1, which for a carbureted old tech engine is far too high for pump gas. And the cam is designed for 2,500 RPM and up, not a smooth idle, and for more aggressive gearing to let it rev. So while a very strong engine, not a great one for how I would like the car to perform. But I like everything else about the car, so I'll plan for a winter project to get it more to my liking.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did manage to track down all the specs on the engine build. And yes, it is fairly radical and not really a good match for the car (a light car with highway gearing). The compression ratio is around 10.9:1, which for a carbureted old tech engine is far too high for pump gas. And the cam is designed for 2,500 RPM and up, not a smooth idle, and for more aggressive gearing to let it rev. So while a very strong engine, not a great one for how I would like the car to perform. But I like everything else about the car, so I'll plan for a winter project to get it more to my liking.
Why not just put a cam similar to a ford 303 into it.. will still probably put out 400 or thereabouts.. but idle less intrusive and power will be more progressive.

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with the engine, other than to tone it down.

The 303 cams are very good, but cam technology has come a long way since that cam came out 40 years ago. I do think the compression ratio is too high and if I'm doing fairly major stuff to the engine I'd like to lower that. And not just with a thicker gasket.

I could sell this one (now that I have all the specs and a dyno run) and buy a nice 302. Or maybe swap with someone, or an engine shop, for a more stock engine.

There is plenty of time to think about it before I take it off the road for the winter.

Rick

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I would think there must be someone out there who wants an engine just like this and is willing to pay for it.