What to use for hardtop 1/4 window plexiglass <> frame channel

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Putting new plexiglass in hardtop 1/4 window frames. Looks like there was a thin rubber'ish U channel for weather proofing and fitment of the plexiglass in the aluminum channel. Age has taken it's toll and will need to replace with 'something'. Any suggestions or recommendations for replacing this would be appreciated.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I thought about silicon but a) my luck would have to take it apart for some reason and you know that would probably be a tad of effort to do, and b) I can't do anything with silicon in large areas without getting in everywhere - then have a bigger cleanup project

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
What rivets are used for the frame in the quarter windows?

2F4BB825-EC04-4F8B-8DEC-FE4D67F12B20.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
As far as I remember I special ordered them on eBay They had a smaller body diameter I think 5/64 and had to remove the center pin so I could file the rivet down to 1/4 inch , then replace the pin and the put in the riveting tool

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Completed my first pair of quarter windows and turned out really good if I may say so myself. A local glass shop gave me similar glaze that SS sells. Split the 1 1/2” down the middle and fit was perfect. Used regular rivets that I had laying in a drawer. These are probably the easiest part of restoring a hardtop. Thanks for everyone’s input and time.
F50CBEE3-1D22-41F7-A544-BBB23ED8F7A0.jpeg

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I did get mine together and used same rivits and SS glazing/glass. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, about 2hours each to tear down, clean, lightly polish, and had to soak some of the inner brackets a few days in evaporust. Then Another 2 hours each to put back together. Definately not a difficult job but needs lots of clean workspace and patience I found.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The frames are anodized aluminum, so the only way to really restore them is to remove all of the anodizing (sanding), polish them to a bright finish, and then have them re-anodized... The original rivets are an odd head size.. .19" and are alloy. I have found some .23" rivets that will work and do not drag against the hardtop frame (as that would chew up the paint). I got them at harbor freight.