What's this?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
was in with my e-brake parts. Not in the parts list. Can someone enlighten me!

P2270798.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
What is its diameter
Maybe 5/8" diameter. I thought it might have been a return spring for the e-brake mechanism for the rod on the diff cover as the washer i.d. is sized for the rod to slip through. Way too small of a diameter to be for the masters, which is a conical spring anyway. or possibly for the e-brake cable itself.. that would account for the slice in the washer. I wonder if original cables had a provision for a return spring....

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe 5/8" diameter. I thought it might have been a return spring for the e-brake mechanism for the rod on the diff cover as the washer i.d. is sized for the rod to slip through. Way too small of a diameter to be for the masters, which is a conical spring anyway. or possibly for the e-brake cable itself.. that would account for the slice in the washer. I wonder if original cables had a provision for a return spring....
Just had my rear ebrake rod and cable off the differential and didn't see that. May have been inside the rubber boot though as a return.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
As I said it is probably the spring INSIDE the master cylinder if it’s 5/8 it’s for the clutch

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Just had my rear ebrake rod and cable off the differential and didn't see that. May have been inside the rubber boot though as a return.
Just figured it out. It's EARLY Alpine. Early cars had rods that activated both e-brake levers on the wheel cylinders. There was a bell crank assy on the axle and this spring and washer were used at the end of the e-brake cable right before the bell crank. It is shown in the series 1/2 Alpine parts list.

this is what happens when you get a bunch of parts in a package, and nothing is labeled!

Last edited: