What's Your Favorite Valve Cover Bolt Tool?

KenF

Gold forum user
I had a small oil leak on my left valve cover. Today I removed and replaced the cork gasket with a rubber one. Also 'adjusted' valve cover mounting surface to be flat, or flatter.

Just curious what others have found as their favorite tool to R&R the rear upper bolt on the left valve cover? You know, the fun one to remove. :mad:

Looks like there's a rubber plug on the firewall in the vicinity of the bolt, similar to the one for the rear spark plug. Didn't use it, don't like working under dashes either.

I found using a 7/16" drive socket with a 1/4" ratcheting wrench with electrical tape holding the bolt in the socket worked best for me. It's still a booger to get.

Attachments

• IMG_6195.JPG
    IMG_6195.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6196.JPG
    IMG_6196.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 108

steven

Gold forum user
I also uses a 1/4 drive wrench with 3 universal drives and the socket. Worst part after I got it loose one of the universal drives dissapeared to never be found again. So another universal got it back in again.

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome

Was that favorite wench :)

I used a similar set up but added lots of blankets and "paste board, " that's old guys speak for cardboard. Since it's like get comfortable on top of the car. It's not much fun to take all the crap out of the car seats carpet padding to get to that rubber plug either.

How many times have we cut a wrench into a stubby one or wished for an S wrench while changing the bottom bolt on the hydraulics.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've used stainless socket head cap screws on my valve covers for years. They look pretty good with the cast valve covers and getting an Allen wrench on them isn't too difficult. I don't think I've ever had to use the hole in the fire wall.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have had great luck using a 1/4 drive ratchet combined with a 6 point 7/16" flex (swivel) socket. (the kind that's one piece - not a swivel with a separate socket.) I have both Craftsman and Snap-On. Both work fine but seem to work better when they are new & a bit stiff - if they get worn and floppy-loose they don't seem to work as well.

Buck