Who is running 225 rear tires?

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
What wheels are you using and what is their offset? How and how much did you roll the fenders?

I can borrow one of these -
p16482.jpg

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
I'm running 225/50 R15 Kumho's on Panasport 7x15's. One leaf is removed from each spring and I installed 1.25" lowering blocks. No fender-rolling necessary since there is no rubbing, even with the blocks, unless I were to hit a massive pothole, which of course, I never would. :)

Sorry but I don't know the offsets. The rear "stance" would look better if it were wider but that would involve using spacers, longer wheel studs, and fender-rolling and I'm not inclined to "go there."

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Hey Duke

That's a 'cool tool' !!

I can't help you on the fender lip clearance as mine are slightly flared and come to a 'knife edge' so I have a lot more clearance...

Obviously, the closer you can get the tire to the spring, the more clearance you'll have on the fender...
I'm running 245/50's on 8" rims so the tire bulge should be comparable to a 225 on 7" ( about 3 mm per side more bulge with the 225 ) ... My rims are a 4" backspace and there is 1" between the tire and the spring so I think you could easily run a 4 1/2" backspace... maybe even 4 3/4" but that'd be pretty tight!

Jim
B382000446

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
So do you guys think I can run a 225 on a 7" rim? Looking at VTO wheels. I need to see what the offset is for the 15 X 7" wheel.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
FENDER LIP ROLLER

I seem to remember Tom Hall bought the fender roller and it didn't work well on the Tiger, I believe because of the double metal thickness if the fender lip.
Call him or E-MAIL @ModTiger Engineering.
About the wheels, reference the Tiger restoration series at Classic Motorsport Magazine. They used 7" VTO wheels on the rear with 205-65-15 Yokahama tires

Last edited:

Socorob

Bronze forum user
There are people on eBay from time to time that give 5 day rentals of those fender rollers also.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
On my last Tiger (Cleo's car now) I was running 15x7's with a 225/50 and no fender rolling. I also had the rear springs re-arched to lower it about 1.5" and still no issues.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
A couple of snaps. Hope this helps. Again, rear wheels are Panasport 15x7, older model, but I suspect the offset is 20mm, the same as in the attached application chart. I bought the wheels about 20 years ago, so they're not the current iteration. I'd prefer the look of a somewhat wider stance in the rear, but it's not worth the hassle to get there. The main thing is that this set-up works great for me.

TigerPanaRearSide.jpg

TigerPanasportSideView.jpg

Panasport Street Wheels Offsets

PanasportOffsets.jpg

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks guys for the info. With it, I can now order the wheels.
Going to go with 15X6 front and 15X7 back.

90% sure I am going with these. With short center caps sporting some sort of tiger logo.
15x7-Classic-8-Black-website1.jpg

Last edited:

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
A couple of snaps. Hope this helps. Again, rear wheels are Panasport 15x7, older model, but I suspect the offset is 20mm, the same as in the attached application chart. I bought the wheels about 20 years ago, so they're not the current iteration. I'd prefer the look of a somewhat wider stance in the rear, but it's not worth the hassle to get there. The main thing is that this set-up works great for me.

TigerPanaRearSide.jpg

I love the stance, what did you do to lower the front?

1966Tiger

Silver forum user

I love the stance, what did you do to lower the front?

This photo might give you a better idea of how the car sits, but I really need to do a full profile shot.
TigerSideView2.jpg

I, too, like the stance , but I don't remember doing anything to alter front ride height. Springs are either from CAT or Rick. There's about 2.25" between the bottom of the lip and the top of the tire. I'm almost certain we did not cut anything. Maybe it's sagging a bit in front due to the passage of time. (the car, not me) :)

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The measurements that are important to work out the ride height are ground to centre of the lip that will give you an idea if the car is sitting at original height or lower.

That said, the most important one is that on any given car that it has clearence the tyre.. the leading edge of the tyre to the front valence joint seems the critical one.. especially on lock, the tyre acn grab the lip with wider wheels/tyres, different offsets, lowered cars.. etc.. and its a painful experiece .. i know :(

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
The measurements that are important to work out the ride height are ground to centre of the lip that will give you an idea if the car is sitting at original height or lower.

That said, the most important one is that on any given car that it has clearence the tyre.. the leading edge of the tyre to the front valence joint seems the critical one.. especially on lock, the tyre acn grab the lip with wider wheels/tyres, different offsets, lowered cars.. etc.. and its a painful experiece .. i know :(

Michael:
Can you kindly tell me what the original ride height is, F and R? I do know that the rear of my car is definitely lower than stock. I've never had a problem with my set up, but I don't track nor autocross the car. Just some pretty aggressive street driving from time to time.
Thanks,
Paul

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Paul,

Will dig it up.. it was posted recently on either the list or the board.. 25ish" seems to spring to mind (pardon the pun) will hunt it out and post ..

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
Paul,

Will dig it up.. it was posted recently on either the list or the board.. 25ish" seems to spring to mind (pardon the pun) will hunt it out and post ..

Thank you, Sir!

BTW, I seem to have a genetic predisposition to punning (just ask my wife and kids who've endured all too many) but I do appreciate a good one. :) The thing is, I don't ever INTEND to pun. They just sort of happen, most often to the dismay of others.