Wide Ratio Gears

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I'm contemplating changing my close ratio over to wide and since I have done this before what exactly gets changed out.Thanks
David

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
FYI, I really like the wide ratio setup, I run with 3:07 rear gearing and cars get up and go well IMO :) I have used David Key transmisions in TX, very simple/easy, he sent me an empty shipping crate to get trans to him, then he does complete inspection and rebuilding of high quality with wide ratio gears and ships back. Note, I did have to return ship an empty crate (which I could have purchased but less $ to return ship at the time). Have used David Key twice and no complaints FYI.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Want to add - I have heard that there are some poor quality 'new' gears and toploader replacement parts out there .. so I recommend you source parts and labor thru someone knowledgable and experienced with Toploader transmissions

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for all the input I've been on Allstate's web site checking out what they have.

Warren

Gold forum user
BTW there's also a Shelby guy Craig who is the Paradise Wheels owner who does transmission in Escondido.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's not that hard a issue with a little patience and an exploded view parts map. A few special tools like lock ring pliers and hex sockets. The worst mistakes I've repaired for people are stacking the detents in the wrong order or syncro slides assembled backwards, etc.

Warren

Gold forum user
I have a top loader manual that's pretty good. I can add the rest if needed.

Attachments

• ford transmission9 (1).pdf
    516.4 KB · Views: 92

DAH

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have the tiger manual plus there are a few videos on you tube.If I can rebuild an automatic this is quite doable.The thing I need to find out is what gears get changed out 1,2&3 2&3 or just 2 I know the input shaft and gear cluster get changed.