Windshield Jacking Nuts

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Could someone explain how the windshield jacking nuts work. I just removed the windshield frame and it was missing the two inner, outside corner studs. So, it had five studs total holding it. I think it is supposed to have seven. And, I can't figure out how the jacking nuts work.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Don't Panic

Some came with 7 and some with 5. Not to worry. The jacking nuts (sleeves) come with instructions that are fairly descriptive, OR you can hit the Tech site. Caution: you may need to find a very thin-walled 3/8" long socket that will slide up inside the cowl mount tube.
It's all designed to keep you frustrated & busy.

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Some came with 7 and some with 5. Not to worry. The jacking nuts (sleeves) come with instructions that are fairly descriptive, OR you can hit the Tech site. Caution: you may need to find a very thin-walled 3/8" long socket that will slide up inside the cowl mount tube.

Sorry, but what is the tech site?

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Sorry, but what is the tech site?

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I looked everywhere on the web and only found a photo of the thin walled socket.

I can buy the nuts and get the instructions. How many are needed? Two?

Do they go on the missing studs on my windshield frame?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I looked everywhere on the web and only found a photo of the thin walled socket.

I can buy the nuts and get the instructions. How many are needed? Two?

Do they go on the missing studs on my windshield frame?

Aa randy said some frames had 5 studs some had 7, it was a design change. You dont need 7 if you have 5 it's fine, seal the 2 additional holes in your scuttle.

The " jacking nuts" are actually an aftermarket part that fit your outer studs. They are designed to allow adjustment of the screen rake while on the car. The factory used rubber wedges which over time harden compress and move .. The nuts allow you to set amd forget

pappentl

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My car only had 5 studs, one on each end. Buy the jacking nuts from SS, they come as a pair with instructions. I ground down a long socket, it didn't take much grinding. It took a few iterations to get the windshield angle correct, but it wasn't difficult.

Tom
B9473100

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I used a Craftsman 1/4" drive socket (model 34615) that fit perfectly in the hole without needing any grinding.

-Jon

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Windshield Frame and Dashpad Replacement

Pfreen.... In seeing your post, I decided to finally post up some BTDT of my experience. I've an MKIA w/ 5 studs for frame, did not use the alignment studs and was able to get good alignment with the quarter window. It is a little bit premature to say I have 'perfect' alignment with the hardtop, but I have clamped a dry fit down. You may be interested in some of the insight. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) of course...

Some of the dash pad tips may help with windscreen / windshield frame alignment and you may wish / choose to look at these areas prior to reinstall.

I just uploaded a number of tear down and refit picture of this area. In my opinion, the key points may be: dashed foam thinning, correct rubber seal fitting under frame, with seelastik (tape caulk) replacement and added corner post rubber wedges (pic added). There were also multiple washers placed on the studs under the scuttle, prior to multiple nuts. Likely also there to align the frame and allow sufficient torque.

As many of our prior posts with pictures were lost, I'm afraid that for this number of pics I'll ask that you visit the website...

http://www.lifeofti.com/windscreen.html

Attachments

• TiWindscrnSeal (2).JPG
    TiWindscrnSeal (2).JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 96

Tigerbill

Silver forum user
CAT Member
“Jacking Nuts”

Wow sounds like a set up for some “garage” humour...
who knows were to get the aforementioned “jacking nuts” ?
Cheers,
Bill