Wiper motor ID and wiring question

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Putting wiring back in 65 Mk1 car. ? re. my wiper moter. - wondering if it is a single vs. 2 speed motor. Hoping to wire it up correctly and trying not to damage by wiring incorrectly. It does have 3 wires making me think that it could be a 2 speed. Any ID input or reference information would be appreciated. Web search results returned it may be our of a 1967 Triumph GT6. Thanks in advance.

2021-03-20 17.07.54.jpg

20230904_232435474_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
A DR3A wiper motor is correct for a Mk1. Mk1a and Mk2 have a 6WA wiper motor. It should have a green wire for continuous 12+ feed and a brown with light green tracer and a red with light green tracer. There should also be a separate black ground wire.

The motor functions by grounding (through the switch) the brown/lt green tracer or both the red/lt green and brown/lt green wires for slow or fast.

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Since I have a 6Wa sounds like that means it is a single speed wiper .. so why does it have a total of 4 wires (one not shown in picture is a black ground wire to chassis). I would guess a single speed motor would only need two wires +ground. Still confused.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Since I have a 6Wa sounds like that means it is a single speed wiper .. so why does it have a total of 4 wires (one not shown in picture is a black ground wire to chassis). I would guess a single speed motor would only need two wires +ground. Still confused.

All 6WA wiper motors are 2 speed. Most DR3A are single speed and only have three wires.... one hot (green), the other ground (black) and the third goes to the switch which is a ground interrupt. (green/black tracer)

It should be a two speed wiper motor... if it has 4 wires. The easy way to test is attach a test lead to the green wire to a 12 power supply, then attach one of the other leads to ground.. one will do nothing, the other will start the motor. touching both to the ground supply will give the other speed. your power supply will need to be capable of delivering 4 amps, the motor when running properly will draw a little over 3 amps.

As I indicated. green wire is continuous 12+ with key on. black is ground (required for self park feature) the red/light green tracer and brown/lt green tracer wires are for the slow and fast speeds. one of the 2 is for slow and both together provide fast (could be the other way round) they are grounded through the wiper switch which has provision for the two wires and a wire to ground.

It would appear from your photo that it's 2 speed. the wire with the green band would be 12V+, the ones with red band and brown band would be the wires to the switch. it would need a black ground wire from the body of the motor to the wiper mounting bracket to self park.