wiring fog lights

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I thought this might be useful... Many states have laws that mandate that fog lights cannot be used with high beams... It is also advisable to run fog lights through a relay due to the current required.

I've got a pair of Lucas LR8 lamps, commonly called "Square 8's). These were also used on the '68 Shelby Mustangs. I used a Lucas overdrive switch in the hole under the clock. This requires a small body type unit as used in the big Healey for panel lights or overdrive (Moss part # 141-210) and a Lucas 6RA relay (Healey overdrive, Moss part # 542-170). For a "tell tale" on the dash I used an orange idiot light (from some other Rootes product so the lenses would match) in what would be the overdrive warning light location on the dash face.

I mounted the relay on the main bulkhead to the left of the steering column for easy access to the wiring harness grommet.

Here's the schematic for making the connections.

W1 to dash switch. the other terminal on the dash switch goes to ground.
W2 connect to low beam circuit (blue/red tracer) On MK1/MK1a there is a suitable snap connector by the turn signal wires, on MK2's you have to run a wire to the LH headlight sub-harness connector.
C1 Fuse box (brown wires) On the MK2 there is a convenient snap connector for the courtesy lamp feeds (purple wires)
C2 Fog lights and tell tale

Wiring it this way takes all the current load off a very weak Lucas switch and makes it merely a ground interrupt. All of the current draw is on the relay. Including the low beam headlight feed makes the circuit only have power to the fog lights when the low beams are on. The fog lights will automatically turn off when high beams are selected or the headlights are turned off.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The Rootes fog and spot lights on this car are controlled by a Wipac Rally Man switch. The switch was used on various marques of the 60's and the kit included all wiring ,etc. It's a rotary switch that has four positions. Off, Spot, Fog and Pair. It's mounted to the bottom of the dash just to the left of the radio console.

110_0731.JPG

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Kind of like the switch for the selectaride shock system on the Aston Martin DB cars... My system substitutes a simple flip switch (on/off) to control fog lights and take all load off of the wiring harness. All of the current load is carried by the Lucas 6RA relay. I'd be happy to supply pics of the installation if wanted....

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Kind of like the switch for the selectaride shock system on the Aston Martin DB cars... My system substitutes a simple flip switch (on/off) to control fog lights and take all load off of the wiring harness. All of the current load is carried by the Lucas 6RA relay. I'd be happy to supply pics of the installation if wanted....
Thanks Sean for the detail description in the initial post. Very descriptive. Better than describing something then showing a photo of something else 😜

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert,

You seem to be having issues working out how to use the "reply" function...

Clearly it's not getting easier for you... 😉

View attachment 17802
My name is BOB and I don't have an issue as far as using the reply function. Sean has done a great job of installing the lights and wiring in the manner used in todays world. The car might lose some points when being judged since it's not an option that was available for the cars but it's a way to protect a Tiger from melt down since the value of a Tiger is much more than it was in the 60's. I look at the broad picture and I just showed what dealers and repair shops did back when LBC's were a normal occurrence on the street several decades back. My control could be considered a rare option. The switch has one wire to the fog light, one wire to the spot lamp and one wire to the fused battery source. Wouldn't you say it's a good comparison of what guys like Sean can do versus what was considered normal in the 60's? It's all a matter of what you do with the car. Mods have been done to my wife's cars to protect them but you would have to be upside down to find them.