64 vs 66 steel wheels

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have a rim dated 64 and one dated 66. On the 64 rim, where the lug nuts seat is recessed into the rim. On the 66 dated rim, where the lug nuts seat is opposite where it stands proud from the area around it.
Does this sound right? And do they use the same lug nut? Are they both Tiger rims?
See pictures attached.

16593170348634373884318362796673.jpg

16593170702301300609491396638588.jpg

16593170947723037126125418242523.jpg

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Also, one has a Firestone tire that looks to ne original, never used. Although it is unusable as a tire would it have value to anyone as a spare for show only?

16593174293853659677522352824744.jpg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The later rootes wheels have the triangular pressing to strengthen the stud hole which helps prevent cracking and stids pulling through.

All the wheels use the same wheel nuts eith a tapper .

Also make sure the seating area of the wheel stud seat is not painted or the wheel wont seat properly and the stud hole will get ovaled

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you. I knew about the triangular pressing, just wasnt sure about the taper for the lug nuts. thanks again,,,and i will make sure the seat is not painted. Mat

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have read the lug nuts are ball type but hope someone with more knowledge will answer that.
One more question....my old tyres have tubes in them. Can these rims work with modern tubeless tires?

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The lug nuts are not taper but are of the ball type ?
Take 2 original nuts and put the faces together The tapered ones will fit without rocking but the ball type will rock against each other. Mine rock suggesting they are the ball type. Researching I can only find 12 mm size in the ball seat type. All I can find apart from the 12 mm are the taper or cone type. Further research suggests that the correct seat type is important for safe wheel mounting I am going to use the original rims , lug nuts and the correct 45 foot pound torque setting There is still some thread exposed with the nuts properly torqued and will back the lug nut up with a jam nut (a short nut ) to add extra security to the lug nut.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Take 2 original nuts and put the faces together The tapered ones will fit without rocking but the ball type will rock against each other. Mine rock suggesting they are the ball type. Researching I can only find 12 mm size in the ball seat type. All I can find apart from the 12 mm are the taper or cone type. Further research suggests that the correct seat type is important for safe wheel mounting I am going to use the original rims , lug nuts and the correct 45 foot pound torque setting There is still some thread exposed with the nuts properly torqued and will back the lug nut up with a jam nut (a short nut ) to add extra security to the lug nut.
CORRECTION lug nut torque 48 foot pounds , that’s why the lug wrench is so short so you can’t put 90 foot pounds on them little wheel studs 😊

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sunbeam Specialties lists lug nuts. I will call him today and ask if they are ball type. thanks to all for responses.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's also the part number for Alpine wheels starting with Alpine B9107251 and continuing thru all production.
Ian spencer did a document on the alpine wheels.
I note he specificed the change in wheel at series II started at B9107291.. But give or take.

What i would say is that even if the part number didnt change the wheels did.... The triangular indent to strengthen the stud hole came in midway through series IV alpine production iirc . same 8 hole slot wheel design but added detail.

Ians article for those interested:

https://sunbeamalpine.org/2007/10/24/wheels-tyres/

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ian spencer did a document on the alpine wheels.
I note he specificed the change in wheel at series II started at B9107291.. But give or take.

What i would say is that even if the part number didnt change the wheels did.... The triangular indent to strengthen the stud hole came in midway through series IV alpine production iirc . same 8 hole slot wheel design but added detail.

Ians article for those interested:

https://sunbeamalpine.org/2007/10/24/wheels-tyres/
The info I posted as far as part numbers is what is listed in the parts manuals that came out of the Rootes dealership in Huntington, W. Va. The manual was printed in January, 1968. There were running changes to many parts probably due to changing vendors. I've seen some Tigers with reinforcement of the lug opening. If there was reason to buy a new wheel after the end of production of series Alpines and Tigers as I did when I hit two trees with the series 4 back in March, 1970 you ended up buying part number 71237218. It didn't have the knob to hold the hub cap. It had a ridge stamped into the wheel. There was another wheel available that was 13" X 5". I've never run across that wheel.

Warren

Gold forum user
I have a set of four, date codes that are both 65 and 66. I have only and keep the enlarged lug boss ones.
The only way I'd use a set would be to have them widened and welded rather than trust old steel rivets.
But that'd be cheating right
;)

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have a set of four, date codes that are both 65 and 66. I have only and keep the enlarged lug boss ones.
The only way I'd use a set would be to have them widened and welded rather than trust old steel rivets.
;)
Cheating, cheater, McCheaterface... What, you don't want to join in with Kenny Rogers??? You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel.......

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
;)
What rivets are you referring to?