Moondoggie

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hmmmm...Randy.....

Let's see how you do on this one.... it took my body shop just 8 months
to go from stripping paint to full paint job

Moondoggie

How I wish they were all simply strip & paint! The not so subtle twists and bends that were glossed over and hidden will chew up some table time along with basic welding & fabrication in the "we can't see em'" places. Then it's off to chasing rust wherever it goes with new factory style metal to keep the purists happy. Finally, if the body guys haven't croaked from boredom, it's strip & massage the metal smooth until paint can happen . . . . . .Now, if I can only remember where we put all the parts ??

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
I hear ya Randy....nothing is really simple on a car that is 47 + years old...strip away the crude and you have way more hours of work than you would have ever guessed. This is why a truely fine restoration of one of these cars get's you into the $100k + range.
It's the age old saying....You get what you pay for.... the wait will kill you.

Moondoggie

SIZE]

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
NURSIN' $ CURSIN'

Finally found room in the schedule to get the wee critter on the frame table and return it's shape to mother Roote's idea of correct. Lot's of ugly metal noises and old welds tearing out, but the length came back without separating in the middle (so far). Now it's off to welding and fabrication for more not so gentle massaging . . . . .

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steered Wheel ??

Randy.. what's with the steering wheel? is it the photo or is it that warped?

Yup, that steering wheel has a history. Some of you may remember the black wreck we had here a few years ago. The impact was some 4 feet up a huge oak tree after a 110 mph (alleged) corner. The owner wrapped his chest and arms around the wheel as it collapsed into the dash. He walked away (slowly)!! It took two of us to pull the wheel back enough to make a shop tool out of it.

PS: The wreck was sold to a gentleman south of Boston who has restored the body purrrfectly and is in the process of assembling the rest.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nothing Pressing

Good to see another one being rescued.

What is the significance of the measurements? Was that pressing different on a Tiger?

It's not the pressing, but spacing and location of the original Tiger tool tie-downs and mountings. Just another one of the factors that help establish the Jensen birthright . . . . . .

Brigand

Silver forum user
Thanks for that Oneoffive, I just keep learning about these cars!
I'll also go out to the garage tonight with a tape measure and check mine! :)

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Welding and Fabrication

Well, now the guys start hunting down the sins and metal that mother nature ran off with. Fabricating the pieces as original takes time & patience along with a firm rule that says "If you're having a bad day, walk away from it".

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hand Knitting History

We discovered that the convertible hinge pocket drain hose had dislodged and decades of water gathered behind the E-brake panel and the inner sill structure. The rocker drains were long ago blocked with sand & rust. Thankfully, the Guru has templates of these pieces from years of my forcing him with a whip to work on Beams. Sometimes we assemble the rust puzzles and ponder just what it was supposed to be? The new metal is slowly growing back from the inside out.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
More sins of history

Looking good.

Finally got around to grinding the 30 year old bondo from the rear 1/4. Holy WoodPecker, Batman; more dings than a cheap motel bed!! Methinks we will seek out a nice chunk of panel for this spot.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
First, Do No Harm

Welding and fabrication are done and the little 00004 kitty is straight, strong and rust free once again. Now to schedule media blasting and body prep. My vote is for the original paint flavor, but the owner is mulling the options at the moment.

DD (CA)

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As I'm right about the same spot...

i.e. pre-strip stage...albeit skipping a great deal of steps you've had to undergo...

Also, due to far less rust out here in CA, wasn't going to dip. Course, wasn't going to do lots of this a few months ago...

any updates to this thread project?

PS: Same situation with drivers side soft top hinge pocket drain scenario. But, rather than discuss here, I'll start a new thread to keep eyes on this project.

Thanks Randy,

Derek

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Slowly Waking

i.e. pre-strip stage...albeit skipping a great deal of steps you've had to undergo...

Also, due to far less rust out here in CA, wasn't going to dip. Course, wasn't going to do lots of this a few months ago...

any updates to this thread project?

PS: Same situation with drivers side soft top hinge pocket drain scenario. But, rather than discuss here, I'll start a new thread to keep eyes on this project.

Thanks Randy,

Derek

Little 004 was in idle storage for a while but now back on the floor and getting sporadic attention. The bottom has been blasted and etched. Now will come the seam sealers and under coatings.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Seam Sealers & Undercoats

With flow temp above 180 degree F, it gets into all the nooks & crannies very well. The 2-part epoxy seam sealers also bridge and seal those factory gaps that are common in the little critters.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Am I Blue (as the song goes)

Owner opted to flavor with Midnight Blue. So we acquired a disc sample from Jan and shot all the utility areas with a strong 2-part urethane. The show parts will be done with a base & clear process after a final body smoothing.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Spring Colors ?

After more time being ignored in the corner, little 004 is back on the schedule and got a new flavor of Midnight Blue #58. There was a lot of dissension among the troops about changing the stock color from the original white on such a low serial number car. But, when I held some fresh chrome up to the surface to show contrast, everyone gave a thumbs up. The base/clear coatings will now get a gentle wet massage with micro grit and allowed to cure. The clear is three coats strong and will leave plenty of protection and maintenance layers to buff out any assembly scars in the future. :D