B9471122 rebirth

steven

Gold forum user
Here are some pictures, hopefully, The first show badly rusted seat bottoms from a Miata. The seat bottoms are also shown after the bath. The last 2 show the bath in action, one with a seat botom in it and the second with the front end.

steven

Gold forum user
Yea, after waitng for about a year {it seems longer} my tiger should be visiting the body man for final panel alignment and paint. Just waiting for a friends tiger to emerge next week. :D

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yeah!

Yea, after waitng for about a year {it seems longer} my tiger should be visiting the body man for final panel alignment and paint. Just waiting for a friends tiger to emerge next week. :D

Good going; Keep us informed, of course . . . . .

steven

Gold forum user
Well there is some progress, not on the body thou. I have received the 5 bolt 289 back from the machine people. My wallet is $1600 lighter however I have a clean block bored 30 and decked. A Crank at 10 thou and the rods resized, what ever that means. I was also quoted another $1380 for new pistons, rings, bearings, cam, timing gear and oil pump etc. Got on the good old evil bay and sourced a major rebuild kit for $310 plus $300 shipping.
So with my son assembling this motor I will save about $1,000.
When assembled with alloy heads, club headers etc I expect about 300 horses or so, good enough for me.

steven

Gold forum user
Oh I am happy, after waiting almost 2 years, the tiger has been delivered to the body shop. Same day the Dr removed a large amount of my calf to make sure the melanoma has gone. Sure going to hurt later tonight.
Will be posting images of the progress on the Tiger soon. :)

steven

Gold forum user
wonderfull things happen

Many decodes ago I rebuilt a wooden steering wheel in my first car, a morris major fitted with a MGB motor. went very fast and broke many axles. Also met my first bride.
Fast forward 45 years, rebuilding my Tiger, not restoring. My alpine has a wood wheel, the tiger did have one.
Posted a enquiry on Aussie site for a solution. Many said buy a $800+ replacement. I am descended from the Irish.
A Good mate who has built a classic timber boat offered a solution.
I have spent this arvo cutting a mahogany plank into 4 circules.
Now have the means to build a new timber steering wheel without paying $800.Will post piccies when it progresses.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Good luck with your health issues and hopefully the doc did a good job--can't wait to see pics from the body shop.

steven

Gold forum user
Paint Finally

After almost 12 months of a bare metal rebuild, the Tiger is in paint, so new it is still in the painters booth.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steven, they painted the car with the boot hinges mounted? Was this a check fitment and they painted the boot separately earlier? What colour was the car originally?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Luckily if they didn't paint the trunk lid separately the hinge rubbers will hide any paint line. Car looks good, very dark blue, bet it will look nice in the sunlight. Are you going a light blue interior or black?

steven

Gold forum user
The interior was painted earlier, the body parts were all fitted as the paint is metallic and had to be blended for a pro finish. The original color was code 58, midnight blue. The new color is also midnight blue from the mid 1990's porsche color range. The interior will be pale blue, same or similar to original.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Good Going

The interior was painted earlier, the body parts were all fitted as the paint is metallic and had to be blended for a pro finish. The original color was code 58, midnight blue. The new color is also midnight blue from the mid 1990's porsche color range. The interior will be pale blue, same or similar to original.

A lot of work; congrats on the fine progress.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
metallic midnight blue

Hi Steven, as you progress post plenty of pictures.

My wife's car is a 96 midnight blue 993. It's a fantastic color and one that radically changes depending on the lighting conditions.

In full sun it looks really blue and at night it appears to be jet black.

Bob J.

steven

Gold forum user
Yahoo, the Tiger is in my garage. Well the body only. Trouble is I am on a cruise ship the Queen Mary 2 travelling from Hong Kong to Australia so will have to wait a few days before I can appreciate the new body, will post pictures.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Steady Gait

Yahoo, the Tiger is in my garage. Well the body only. Trouble is I am on a cruise ship the Queen Mary 2 travelling from Hong Kong to Australia so will have to wait a few days before I can appreciate the new body, will post pictures.

Don't rock the boat . . . . .

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
Stay away from the buffet or else you won't fit in the Tiger when it's all back together......:)

steven

Gold forum user
Yep, let the belt out one noch. No more bacon & eggs for the future. Have now removed the hood hold up bracket from the metal hood, oops forgot to have that painted. Have now ordered a adhesive that is supposed to be great for metal to grp.
Will expect progress soon.

Bosspwrd

Silver forum user
There were also Tiger specific panels to be had... a fellow bought this complete 'Tiger' tunnel from 'Pressed Steel' back in the day... only the horizontal part was needed for repair so he drilled out the spot welds and had the piece ( see pics ) that I bought from him stored for many years...

JiB382000446

This proves that Jensen had "stockment & extras". How many extras ? Who knows . But there must be many more about than just these . Also notice , these are RHD pieces . All the rarer ?

Bosspwrd -

steven

Gold forum user
Have reused the electrous vat to clean the front A arms and other parts, forgot how great it is in removing grime and corrosioun. Also have checked the under dash blower, still has origional part numbers, also the heater core, it has origional part numbers. Great to work on a unmolested Tiger. Also will be a leaning curve to refit them. insert smilley