Cooling plate

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Thanks for all your help , Buck. Really enjoyed your article on your hi temperature experiments Any input is greatly appreciated
Johnny

Johnny,

like you and most of the rest of us I've had the fuel percolate (boil) in the bowl while the car was parked while the hot engine heat soaked the carb.

Leaving the hood ajar helps but to get on the road immediately just remove the air cleaner and pour some water on each bowl. It will instantly cool both the bowl and the fuel enough that you can quickly get it start and get back on the road where the circulating air will quickly cool everything.

Good luck,
Buck

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
hot carb

Hi Johnny, the f4b intake has a runner that connects the #2 exhaust to the #6 exhaust.

I was told this was done to allow that area to warm up quicker in really cold weather by letting exhaust pass back and forth through the intake under and in front of the carb.

If you don't have this port blocked off it might be contributing to your problem.

Most intake manifold gaskets have openings punched out over these ports but they include the little piece that was removed in case the builder wants to block this runner off.

Anyway it's something else to think about.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.jpg
    IMG_2304.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 96

1966 TGR

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the "cooling plate" is made of metal, that's not helping. It should be a heat insulator between the carb and manifold, usually made of phenolic plastic, plus two gaskets as Holycat observes. Also, another way to check hood clearance is to ball up a wad of aluminum foil and (carefully) let it crush between air cleaner and hood. The impression will let you know how close to disaster you are.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If the "cooling plate" is made of metal, that's not helping. It should be a heat insulator between the carb and manifold, usually made of phenolic plastic, plus two gaskets as Holycat observes. Also, another way to check hood clearance is to ball up a wad of aluminum foil and (carefully) let it crush between air cleaner and hood. The impression will let you know how close to disaster you are.

Also make sure the ball isnt squashed to flat, the motors move a bit under torque load, depending on manifold, motor mounts and carb its comon to sand down the pheolenic spacer a little.. Try and get the most thickness you can with a safe clearance to the bonnet

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Wow! Didn't even think of that, A heater for the carburetor, great idea, Not!!!! Thank you!
John

Hi Johnny, the f4b intake has a runner that connects the #2 exhaust to the #6 exhaust.

I was told this was done to allow that area to warm up quicker in really cold weather by letting exhaust pass back and forth through the intake under and in front of the carb.

If you don't have this port blocked off it might be contributing to your problem.

Most intake manifold gaskets have openings punched out over these ports but they include the little piece that was removed in case the builder wants to block this runner off.

ojxxx

Silver forum user
It's that time of year... Having a problem restarting when hot...Insolated all the fuel lines and moved the fuel pump to the trunk/ boot. Still produces some anxiety when running short errands and the car takes a short prayer to restart. Bought a cooling plate from Summit for the edelbroch carb and 4b ... what cha think?
Johnny B:confused:

Edelbrock is the wrong carb for a Tiger because of the heat. That design carburetor has the fuel chambers internal and traps the heat. Your life will be much improved with a Holley type carburetor where the fuel bowls are out in free air. Gasoline boils at 185deg, your normal operating temp and as long as you have an Edelbrock carb the fuel is going to boil.

Warren

Gold forum user
Correction

I should have said gas evaporates at 140 . Therefore even the shortest trip causes the vapors to flow over and down the throat. Been looking for the custom fit cold air box pictures made by T Ronak . Even on a short cruise the garage is quickly overcome with the fumes.

Doug C

Gold forum user
I should have said gas evaporates at 140 . Therefore even the shortest trip causes the vapors to flow over and down the throat. Been looking for the custom fit cold air box pictures made by T Ronak . Even on a short cruise the garage is quickly overcome with the fumes.

Warren, I also have “Been looking for the custom fit cold air box pictures made by T Ronak —“. Just went through 3 thumb drives, I’ll Keep looking. Doug

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Didnt tim post the build and drawings of that on the tigers united website? If not it was in an old CAT or teae newsletter in the mid 2000s

Johnnyb

Bronze forum user
Runner

Hey Bob,
Bingo! Thanks for the tip. I'm plugging the runner this weekend. I can't find a cooling plate thin enough to clear the hood enough for comfort. Buck said there was this guy who made a gasket from exhaust gasket material. I might give that a try just for giggles and use gaskets on both sides
Thank you for your advise
John