Wanted correct door/A post seals

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Wanted for my personal car. A set of correct A pillar, door seals (flap type). I have tried MacGregor, COH Baines and myriad other sources... Does anyone out there have the correct seals?
door seal.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Over the years this is the closet that I've found to the original furflex. The difference is that it has what I would call a velour covering instead of the original woven cloth style of material. This did come from MacGregor. I have red on the RHD Harrington and black on the other cars.
110_1751.JPG
110_1758.JPG
110_1759.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found a bunch of NOS correct red furflex a few years back. It had a rubber round seal attached.

Josh S who had the very original white MKIa got a few meters off me. He took the rubber off for use around the doors and then added a correct blade seal for the A post section.

I kept a few meters as I was going to use iny alpine for a trim colour change but ended up going a different direction.... No change šŸ˜‚

The velour trims is commonly available for jags of the 50s and even hillman and.humber.

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found a bunch of NOS correct red furflex a few years back. It had a rubber round seal attached.

Josh S who had the very original white MKIa got a few meters off me. He took the rubber off for use around the doors and then added a correct blade seal for the A post section.

I kept a few meters as I was going to use iny alpine for a trim colour change but ended up going a different direction.... No change šŸ˜‚

The velour trims is commonly available for jags of the 50s and even hillman and.humber.

View attachment 17596

View attachment 17597
My fastback had the furflex with a modified tube that was in an oval shape instead of the flap. I was able to get that furflex from MacGrgor when I restored the car back in 2008. Never asked what other car it was used on. I've found that the velour type covering seems to hold up better than the woven material. I do have NOS furflex in both red and black without the flap for use along the sills. I haven't seen anything in the judging guidelines concerning the use of either the woven fabric or the velour fabric. That could be due to the available products.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
. I haven't seen anything in the judging guidelines concerning the use of either the woven fabric or the velour fabric. That could be due to the available products.
I'm quite sure the velour trims will lose marks on Alpines/Tigers.

But per the many discussions on what's original some people don't care much but will try and influence the judging

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm quite sure the velour trims will lose marks on Alpines/Tigers.

But per the many discussions on what's original some people don't care much but will try and influence the judging
Michael,
My suggestion is that you read the guide lines for judging of all classes of cars and also spend time looking over the photos shown. You won't find photos or mention of the use of braided versus velour furflex. I think there has been mention of the braided furflex not being available from any trim supplier so if the use of braided trim is required then you'll find that there is an automatic deduction of points for 99.9% of cars. If there is no availability of supply of braided and since there doesn't seem to be much of a supply of furflex with the flap then that makes a proper restoration almost impossible so what's the reasoning behind a deduction other than to prove a point that someone did something wrong. The proper material may come into play if the quality of the cars is so high that judges start looking at specifics of several areas of judging. We saw that at the SUNI two years ago. Under normal conditions there may be deductions for furflex if it's torn, tattered or how bad it's faded. I have judged cars for quite a few years and there is a team of three judges that judge all sections of the cars and the three of us makes a determination of the items used including correctness, fit, finish, condition, and overall impression and cleanliness of the available parts and trim used and how much the deduction of points will be. Since the guide lines for judging were put together by discussion of several clubs you'll find influencing of judging does not come into play.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert,

The correct plain furflex trim trim is available (in black) and in some cases in other colours.
As discussed in my earlier post Josh made the correct blade seal/furflex by modifying the parts I supplied. And simply removed the rubber off it for the rest of the door surround.

The reason you would lose points for using the velour furflex is that many cars still have the correct furflex trim still.

And if the woven fabric is still in good condition the fabric can be re-coloured to look as new.

As for the velour one being of greater longevity... I would suggest the many worn trims I've seen on Hillmans and Jags would suggest otherwise.. the furry finish wears thin on contact.

As for the judging guides I'm well aware of the process and was a part of its assembly... It's still a work in progress as many of us want to make it as comprehensive as possible.

If the furflex isn't listed I will raise that and help provide photos of the originals on a few very good survivor cars.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Austin Healey Bugeye Sprites also used the same woven pinchlace with a bulb seal. Moss carries it in three colors and it is widely available from other vendors. It's the same seal that Sunbeam Specialties sells in black. The later Alpines and Tigers originally had a flap seal which is much softer than the bulb seal. I have found that cars with GT type door panels have an interference issue with the bulb seal.

Like Michael, I have a concours background.. only in the Austin Healey arena. For nearly 30 years I have contributed and helped with the publication of a comprehensive concours guide for Big Healeys. Now 600 pages or so...

I suppose this explains why I am looking for the correct seals for my car.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Austin Healey Bugeye Sprites also used the same woven pinchlace with a bulb seal. Moss carries it in three colors and it is widely available from other vendors. It's the same seal that Sunbeam Specialties sells in black. The later Alpines and Tigers originally had a flap seal which is much softer than the bulb seal. I have found that cars with GT type door panels have an interference issue with the bulb seal.

Like Michael, I have a concours background.. only in the Austin Healey arena. For nearly 30 years I have contributed and helped with the publication of a comprehensive concours guide for Big Healeys. Now 600 pages or so...

I suppose this explains why I am looking for the correct seals for my car.

Do either of you own a restored concours Sunbeam? I'll be at the Import Festival swap meet in Carlisle ,Pa. next week so now furflex will also be on my list of things to look for at the weekend swap meet. I'll be taking some samples of the original furflex with me to compare what vendors may be selling. Maybe I'll run across some interesting Sunbeam items.

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Do either of you own a restored concours Sunbeam? I'll be at the Import Festival swap meet in Carlisle ,Pa. next week so now furflex will also be on my list of things to look for at the weekend swap meet. I'll be taking some samples of the original furflex with me to compare what vendors may be selling. Maybe I'll run across some interesting Sunbeam items.
I no longer associate myself with clubs.. Mostly due to the politics, or what I commonly call a "dick measuring contest". Bottom line, these are cars, none of them are going to make you more successful in bed, or anywhere else. I have a few friends in the clubs, but as a general rule I don't spend a lot of time with club members... I well remember club tours with the Healey people, driving 10 MPH slower than everyone else and blathering on a CB... 2 things I have zero interest in doing. I drive my car. Sometimes as much as 5000 miles a year. I have no interest in going 10 MPH below the speed limit or conversing with a bunch of geriatric owners. (altho, my daughter states that I am rapidly approaching geriatric-dom!)

I AM, however, interested in originality... I usually judge concours entrants for the Healey concours on a yearly basis... I have never dealt with concours in the Sunbeam world... I have never been able to find a set of guidelines nearly as expansive as the ones we have in the Healey world.

BTW.... Jensen was responsible for the greater percentage of the production of the Big Healey as well as the Tiger.

If you do find the correct seals, money awaits you!

Attached is a pic of my Mk2 #463. It's been off the road since 1971. The color is Polar White, it's original color. The picture was taken 2 days ago... With the exception of the engine block, it is numbers matching. According to the 2nd owner, the original 289 was replaced by a 302 short block in 1970 (with the original 289 heads). That's the configuration it has today, with the addition of the "LAT Super Induction Kit", Edelbrock F4B and Holley 4bbl. I do have the original valve covers with the original engine label/sticker.

I have made some deviations from concours, in that I hate the side stripes, and I have no desire to paint the lower sills satin black... Which is impossible to maintain anyway... And yes, I can hear the peanut gallery commenting about the amber turn signal indicator lenses in the rear.... They look better, and with the current crop of crappy drivers, are less confusing to them!
P5011320.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
I'd give a big "thumbs up" to the above post, but it looks as though the "Like" option is not available in the Parts Wanted section. (y) :unsure:

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I no longer associate myself with clubs.. Mostly due to the politics, or what I commonly call a "dick measuring contest". Bottom line, these are cars, none of them are going to make you more successful in bed, or anywhere else. I have a few friends in the clubs, but as a general rule I don't spend a lot of time with club members... I well remember club tours with the Healey people, driving 10 MPH slower than everyone else and blathering on a CB... 2 things I have zero interest in doing. I drive my car. Sometimes as much as 5000 miles a year. I have no interest in going 10 MPH below the speed limit or conversing with a bunch of geriatric owners. (altho, my daughter states that I am rapidly approaching geriatric-dom!)

I AM, however, interested in originality... I usually judge concours entrants for the Healey concours on a yearly basis... I have never dealt with concours in the Sunbeam world... I have never been able to find a set of guidelines nearly as expansive as the ones we have in the Healey world.

BTW.... Jensen was responsible for the greater percentage of the production of the Big Healey as well as the Tiger.

Attached is a pic of my Mk2 #463. It's been off the road since 1971. The color is Polar White, it's original color. The picture was taken 2 days ago... With the exception of the engine block, it is numbers matching. According to the 2nd owner, the original 289 was replaced by a 302 short block in 1970 (with the original 289 heads). That's the configuration it has today, with the addition of the "LAT Super Induction Kit", Edelbrock F4B and Holley 4bbl. I do have the original valve covers with the original engine label/sticker.

I have made some deviations from concours, in that I hate the side stripes, and I have no desire to paint the lower sills satin black... Which is impossible to maintain anyway... And yes, I can hear the peanut gallery commenting about the amber turn signal indicator lenses in the rear.... They look better, and with the current crop of crappy drivers, are less confusing to them!
View attachment 17598
Outstanding!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

I have made some deviations from concours, in that I hate the side stripes, and I have no desire to paint the lower sills satin black... Which is impossible to maintain anyway... And yes, I can hear the peanut gallery commenting about the amber turn signal indicator lenses in the rear.... They look better, less confusing to them!
Sean,

I know you didn't point it out in the above post .. but I am aware you are responsible for several concourse Sunbeam restorations and undertake the work yourself... infact people pay you for that expertise and attention to detail.

Also you understand the value in building a reference source for what is correct as a guide for people who want to do things factory.

The guidelines that are assembled for the Tigers (continuing process) are trying to do that ( and cover quite a bit of SIV/V alpine in the process)

The irony in the discussion is these were not only instigated as a great reference to the community and to document the cars before the reference vehicles and first hand knowledge becomes harder to access, but because issues arose with people with heavily restored but personalised cars being aggressive at judging claiming that it being installed in peirod made it correct or because they had owned the cars from in the day whatever they did was right....

That's when it's great to have a reference and also information from the broader knowledge base that has researched and established what was factory.

I'm glad that you partake in the discussions and value your research and knowledge base.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

View attachment 17598
I do have an extra set of red and black furflex that I bought from MacGregor back in 2017. They're the same as in my photos. I have the original furflex off of some of our cars as well as a limited supply of NOS trim items. including a limited amount of furflex. Another owner and I had a phone conversation earlier this week and Martin's name was mentioned. Is he still in business? The number of vendors at Carlisle that sell parts for cars of the 60's and 70's has shrunk over the last ten years. I hope to haul home some items I have no use for but why not. Your Tiger looks good but you will lose points for your wheels. What brand are they and how old are they? They give the car a great vintage look. I have similar wheels on three of our cars. The wife says we have them because we couldn't afford them close to 50 years ago. I painted the 69 with Ford Wimbledon white and it's a good color with a red interior. Martin made the furflex and rubber trim for this car. Notice the wheel well mouldings on this car.
100_0192.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sean,

I know you didn't point it out in the above post .. but I am aware you are responsible for several concourse Sunbeam restorations and undertake the work yourself... infact people pay you for that expertise and attention to detail.

Also you understand the value in building a reference source for what is correct as a guide for people who want to do things factory.

The guidelines that are assembled for the Tigers (continuing process) are trying to do that ( and cover quite a bit of SIV/V alpine in the process)

The irony in the discussion is these were not only instigated as a great reference to the community and to document the cars before the reference vehicles and first hand knowledge becomes harder to access, but because issues arose with people with heavily restored but personalised cars being aggressive at judging claiming that it being installed in peirod made it correct or because they had owned the cars from in the day whatever they did was right....

That's when it's great to have a reference and also information from the broader knowledge base that has researched and established what was factory.

I'm glad that you partake in the discussions and value your research and knowledge base.
Michael,
At some point you should attend a United on either side of the states If only to see the build quality of the cars regardless of the cars being stock or otherwise. There have been folks such as Doug Jennings, Randy Willet and Scott Woerth on the east coast that have restored many high quality cars to the specs desired by the owner. I hear there may be a time when a well known west coast shop owner will be east of the Mississippi .

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I have no ide
I do have an extra set of red and black furflex that I bought from MacGregor back in 2017. They're the same as in my photos. I have the original furflex off of some of our cars as well as a limited supply of NOS trim items. including a limited amount of furflex. Another owner and I had a phone conversation earlier this week and Martin's name was mentioned. Is he still in business? The number of vendors at Carlisle that sell parts for cars of the 60's and 70's has shrunk over the last ten years. I hope to haul home some items I have no use for but why not. Your Tiger looks good but you will lose points for your wheels. What brand are they and how old are they? They give the car a great vintage look. I have similar wheels on three of our cars. The wife says we have them because we couldn't afford them close to 50 years ago. I painted the 69 with Ford Wimbledon white and it's a good color with a red interior. Martin made the furflex and rubber trim for this car. Notice the wheel well mouldings on this car.View attachment 17599
I have no idea if MacGregor is still in business. I have bought tons of stuff over the years for Healey (and other Brit cars)... I have sent him several e-mails and have had no response... Seems like every one I have bought parts from is joining the choir invisible....

I contacted Rick and he has no carpet kits... so I sent an email to Martha... no response either. WTF

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Sean,

Many thanks for the "shout out"
I do have an extra set of red and black furflex that I bought from MacGregor back in 2017. They're the same as in my photos. I have the original furflex off of some of our cars as well as a limited supply of NOS trim items. including a limited amount of furflex. Another owner and I had a phone conversation earlier this week and Martin's name was mentioned. Is he still in business? The number of vendors at Carlisle that sell parts for cars of the 60's and 70's has shrunk over the last ten years. I hope to haul home some items I have no use for but why not. Your Tiger looks good but you will lose points for your wheels. What brand are they and how old are they? They give the car a great vintage look. I have similar wheels on three of our cars. The wife says we have them because we couldn't afford them close to 50 years ago. I painted the 69 with Ford Wimbledon white and it's a good color with a red interior. Martin made the furflex and rubber trim for this car. Notice the wheel well mouldings on this car.View attachment 17599
They're Minilites and at least 25 years old. Bob Straghan had to make me new lug nuts because Minilite told me to buy new wheels. T
I'd give a big "thumbs up" to the above post, but it looks as though the "Like" option is not available in the Parts Wanted section. (y) :unsure:
Thanks!!!

hey are 14"X 6 diameter with a 15 ET offset. I have ZERO interest in ever having the car judged in concours ever again. After 30 years in the Healey concours community I am well aware of what a "soul sucking experience" that can be. I restored a Mk2 Tricarb Healey in the 80's. One of 214 and the only one that was shipped to Gibraltar... The experience left me cold, and I sold the car shortly after. I would rather drive the car, than encase it in a Mayonnaise jar on the doorstep of "Funk and Wagnalls".....

I am perfectly happy helping owners know what was original, but less happy telling them what to do, or judging their enthusiasms based on how strictly they adhere to originality.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have no ide

I have no idea if MacGregor is still in business. I have bought tons of stuff over the years for Healey (and other Brit cars)... I have sent him several e-mails and have had no response... Seems like every one I have bought parts from is joining the choir invisible....

I contacted Rick and he has no carpet kits... so I sent an email to Martha... no response either. WTF
MacGregor told me one time that he was a trim engineer at the Linwood plant back in the late 60's into the 70's. So he may be out of the business. Martha isn't young either so she may have slowed down. I have a carpet set in one of our cars that I bought from Rick a few years back and it was made by another vendor in California. Rumor has it that Rick has the business for sale. Curt at Classic Sunbeam in New York may have items in stock. Martha made the interior for this car back in 1995. It still looks good today. It will be at Bowling Green this year.
100_0543.JPG