Wanted correct door/A post seals

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,
At some point you should attend a United on either side of the states If only to see the build quality of the cars regardless of the cars being stock or otherwise. There have been folks such as Doug Jennings, Randy Willet and Scott Woerth on the east coast that have restored many high quality cars to the specs desired by the owner. I hear there may be a time when a well known west coast shop owner will be east of the Mississippi .
You seem to be confusing the topic Robert, we are talking about factory correct concourse cars... Not nice restoration, resto-mods etc...

I've seen the work of some of the restorers mentioned, and have worked with people who have restored cars to standards well beyond any Sunbeam globally... But again that is all irrelevant...

What we are taking about is getting the details on a car correct per factory... It's about the knowledge.. anyone can restore a car to how they want it... Or pay someone to do that... Restoration to factory spec is a different approach.

Same with over restored .. no Alpines came with polished alloy manifolds or rocker covers.. ST cars didn't come with carpets .... In period owners could have fitted an Amco coloured soft top, Lucas spot lamps as opposed to the Rootes Lumax ones etc etc..... People can do what they want... But there is a difference between that and knowing how they were when delivered.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You seem to be confusing the topic Robert, we are talking about factory correct concourse cars... Not nice restoration, resto-mods etc...

I've seen the work of some of the restorers mentioned, and have worked with people who have restored cars to standards well beyond any Sunbeam globally... But again that is all irrelevant...

What we are taking about is getting the details on a car correct per factory... It's about the knowledge.. anyone can restore a car to how they want it... Or pay someone to do that... Restoration to factory spec is a different approach.

Same with over restored .. no Alpines came with polished alloy manifolds or rocker covers.. ST cars didn't come with carpets .... In period owners could have fitted an Amco coloured soft top, Lucas spot lamps as opposed to the Rootes Lumax ones etc etc..... People can do what they want... But there is a difference between that and knowing how they were when delivered.
Knowing how the car was when new is one advantage I do have. I did drive a new Alpine before I was old enough to legally drive in the state of Ohio and I've been driving them since that time way back in the 60's. FYI, the green car was an all original low mileage car when Dad let me start driving it.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Knowing how the car was when new is one advantage I do have. I did drive a new Alpine before I was old enough to legally drive in the state of Ohio and I've been driving them since that time way back in the 60's. FYI, the green car was an all original low mileage car when Dad let me start driving it.
Robert you again seem to miss the point.
Just because you drove one when it was recently second hand doesnt have anything to do with knowing what's factory correct.

You keep dragging the thread away from this point people are trying to fit correct parts...not just what's easy to find or convenient or what they want to modify..

A good example is before you were expelled from the Sunbeam Alpine Owners club of America there were many times on thay forum where you claimed things like Amco parts or USA radios and mirrors were correct because you fitted them to your car in the early 70s.. you might have done it . Some dealers may have done it to add some extra profit... But it doesn't make them factory correct

Your cars are far from factory correct.. even in your photo of the SV interior I can see non factory finishes and things that are not detailed correctly.. but in theory you should know that right?

If early exposure to the cars makes someone an expert as you claim. Then I don't need your advice at all . My father ordered a new SIVGT at the Melbourne motorshow in '65 with overdrive and wire wheels . He also bought a 65 SIVGT in 1994... I guess that means he should be the resource he wasn't just driving daddy's car.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It
MacGregor told me one time that he was a trim engineer at the Linwood plant back in the late 60's into the 70's. So he may be out of the business. Martha isn't young either so she may have slowed down. I have a carpet set in one of our cars that I bought from Rick a few years back and it was made by another vendor in California. Rumor has it that Rick has the business for sale. Curt at Classic Sunbeam in New York may have items in stock. Martha made the interior for this car back in 1995. It still looks good today. It will be at Bowling Green this year.View attachment 17600
It's no rumor. Rick is selling the business. He doesn't have carpets because the person who was making them for him died.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Robert you again seem to miss the point.
Just because you drove one when it was recently second hand doesnt have anything to do with knowing what's factory correct.
I have samples of original furflex and after market pieces for reference if I find a vender at Carlisle that is selling trim.