DW Torque Arm

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Those of you running the Dan Walters Torque Arm -

What else have you done with the rest of the traction/stabilization items in the rear (i.e. Removed Traction Masters?, removed sway bar?, removed pan hard rod?, kept some? removed all?)

Thanks,

John

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Removal -
Stock rear springs
Panhard rod
Traction masters

Installed -
Dale A rear springs
CAT Edelbrock shocks
Rear spring front mount reinforcement.

Erich

Gold forum user
DW torque arm,

Front spring mount reinforcement

Panhard bar present.

Stock springs

Koni shocks.

Car never had traction masters or other axle hop control.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
DW TORQUE ARM

DW TORQUE ARM
CAT LEAF SPRINGS
3.54 GEAR WITH POSI
KONI REAR SHOCKS
REWELD FRONT SPRING MOUNTS(BROKEN WELDS)
INTEND TO REMOVE TRACTION MASTERS
REAR END TRAMP CONTINUED UNTIL ADDED DW TORQUE ARM

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Boring Inovations

Substituted a beefy 2nd leaf
Reinforced the front spring mounts
Adjustable track bars
Hard Konis
Panhard remains with Teflon bushings
Tyres will spin on command
No tramp, curl or walking.

PITT40

Gold forum user
OK, I'm new to this forum but not Tigers. Although I haven't owned one in years. What is his torque arm and do you have a pic?

MT Roads

Silver forum user
Boring Mods?

Hello,

to "0neoffive", RE: Boring Innovations,

Are you saying that you have those listed modifications in addition to the Torque Arm, or are you saying that you have no wheel - hop issues with only those mods and no new Torque Arm?

If no Torque Arm, then what style Adjustable Track Bars, what HP engine, and is wheel spin initiated after clutch engagement, or with clutch dump?

Sorry for all the questions, but any clarification will be much appreciated. Thank you for your time & many contributions.

MT

PITT40

Gold forum user
I want one. I saw the other original thread posted. Is he still selling them?

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Clarifications/details/etc.

Hello,

to "0neoffive", RE: Boring Innovations,

Are you saying that you have those listed modifications in addition to the Torque Arm, or are you saying that you have no wheel - hop issues with only those mods and no new Torque Arm?

If no Torque Arm, then what style Adjustable Track Bars, what HP engine, and is wheel spin initiated after clutch engagement, or with clutch dump?

Sorry for all the questions, but any clarification will be much appreciated. Thank you for your time & many contributions.

MT
No torque arm here and no "hop" issues. Would like to try a DWTA some day though. I suspect that the meaty 2nd leaf has a lot to do with the behavior. Track bars have a full length threaded rod thru the tube with a b-jesus nut on one end to adjust tension (pre-load). It took some trial and error to get the behavior I wanted to fit my old school cornering style (drift it). No clue on the HP with this one; leftover shop parts of a 289 with 302 guts, strong flat tappet cam, some breathing, etc. No clutch dump needed. Just feed the carb and it will spin them. AS A CAUTION TO ALL: Messing with the suspension can and will change the control behavior. You may unknowingly build a death trap!

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
AS A CAUTION TO ALL: Messing with the suspension can and will change the control behavior. You may unknowingly build a death trap!

Words to heed by all. Had a good friend almost killed in his 72 MG Midget that we screwed around with the rear suspension. As I drove behind him on I5 in Southern Cal, saw him take a hard left and go under the divider cable (thank god it was a midget), across five lanes of oncoming traffic and off the side of the road. Only lost part of an eyelid. He laid over in the car when going under the cable.

Tucker

Bronze forum user
Me Too!

Remove:

TM
Stock leaf springs
Panhard bar

Add:

DWTB
QA1
Dale's leaf springs
Reinforced front rear leaf spring mount (Tiger Engineering Kit)

tucker

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TORQE ARM

THE ORIGINAL ROAD AND TRACK TEST OF THE MKII (1967) SHOWS A PICTURE OF THE MKII WHEELHOPPING. THE OTHER OPTION TO CONTROL WHEELHOP ARE CALTRACKS, BUT THE DOWNSIDE IS YOU HAVE TO FABRICATE THEM TO FIT THE TIGER REAR SPRING (instructions on Hotrods and Hemis.com website)

Last edited:

mwood

Gold forum user
No fan of a torque arm, Tiger with stock front suspension. The change in weight transfer mechanics hurt braking and also promotes throttle on push. No, you won't notice it if the primary gain you're seeking smoother burn outs :)

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
What?

No fan of a torque arm, Tiger with stock front suspension. The change in weight transfer mechanics hurt braking and also promotes throttle on push. No, you won't notice it if the primary gain you're seeking smoother burn outs :)

I have run a DW TA for years in open track events. No negative changes in weight transfer. What is push? under steer is easy to cancel lifting throttle with or without TA.

Regarding "burnouts" DW did not intend the torque arm for drag racing. Autocross is where it shines because it relieves the leaf springs from being the only counter to pinion rise under power and the opposite on decelleration/braking. Makes everything easier for driving hard!

That said? If you have under 300hp or never drive aggressively you may not need one.

Rick

dude234

Gold forum user
Dale's leaf springs
Reinforced front rear leaf spring mount (Tiger Engineering Kit)

Do the above and 90% of wheel hop problems will go away (exception for Duke).

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Ref AutoX and the TA.

http://youtu.be/W6VWvPxnaHc?list=UU_ZozgAj41YN1U9jvaiCLPg

SCCA solo event. Improved my time by 3.6 seconds over four runs. Ran faster that modern Corvettes and BMW's. The TA works wonders not in a straight line.

DampAautoX_zps1cb54ae4.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Cut n Paste

From other posting. Dan seems to go bulk order and build a bunch at a time. He advertises by word of mouth for some reason..... :rolleyes:

Dan emailed me this afternoon and OK'd posting his email address so that all interested parties can contact him directly, so here you all go: spmdr@juno.com.

Cheers! Mike

67MKII

Gold forum user
CAT Member
@PITT40 Contact Dan Walters ----- spmdr@juno.com

No panhard Rod - took that off years ago
No rear sway bar - took that off years ago
No Traction Masters - took them off with the addition of DWTA
Adj. Koni's - Installed last year (what a difference)
Dales's rear springs - Replaced from stock springs 3-4 years ago
Reinforced front spring mounts - No cracks but knew it was a weak area

Recently added the DWTA

Headed to the VC Hillclimb next weekend - Let's see what it can do.