DW Torque Arm

mwood

Gold forum user
I have run a DW TA for years in open track events. No negative changes in weight transfer. What is push? under steer is easy to cancel lifting throttle with or without TA.

Regarding "burnouts" DW did not intend the torque arm for drag racing. Autocross is where it shines because it relieves the leaf springs from being the only counter to pinion rise under power and the opposite on decelleration/braking. Makes everything easier for driving hard!

That said? If you have under 300hp or never drive aggressively you may not need one.

Rick

Believe what you want. I have a little experience with TA's and not only took TToD at the SUNI autocross (in a sub 300hp car on 195 street tires that was finished two days before leaving) but also just picked up the SCCA Solo National Championship jacket in DS at Lincoln, NE this week (yes, I needed to toot my own horn LOL). I also have had success road racing, prior to focusing on autocross :)

You guys have to stop drinking from the same Kool Aid :lol:

Also, as I said, I'm talking about stock front suspension. If enough work is done on the front, the torque arm can be additive. But, given the "set ups" being described and typically found on Tigers, that's not going to be the case.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Most 'mods' are a compromise of sorts...the only thing (negative) that I heard about the torque arm was that backing up and putting on the brakes would raise up the rear end of the car. No, I don't have one, so if this is an old rumor, then I just have a good memory;)

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TORQUE ARM

Congratulations to MICHAEL WOOD D stock solo champ at 2014 SCCA SOLO II NATIONALS.( driving a WRX not the Tiger) What can be done to a Tiger front end short of installing DALE A's front suspension ?

mwood

Gold forum user
I don't know that I could get the stock front suspension to have enough relative grip, particularly factoring in both lateral and longitudinal, to be happy with a torque arm. The camber curve calls for as much negative static as possible, but with the lower rear roll center (which increases rear weight transfer) the TA brings, that hurts straightline braking capability. That same dynamic also increases body roll, which may lead to wanting to run more front wheel rate...which then further messes with the f/r balance.

I compare it to the old Fox body Mustangs I played with years ago. A TA would solve for the huge issues of the stock four link (aka "quadrabind") and (maybe) make the car faster on course, but the balance went to hell...until doing the front end with a proper coil over/crossmember swap.

A few of the vintage guys are running torque arms (when allowed) but I don't know if they've modified stock geometry through a-arm modifications/relocation.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pass needed

Well, ...clearly ....before ordering a Tiger Torque Arm, YOU need a pass from MWOOD. :)

...and all of you currently using one >>> MUST<<< remove it until a MWOOD pass is obtained. :rolleyes:

DW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Crap ... Dan I already sent those 2 to Australia ... I didn't get the certificate of approval ... You do returns? :D

Warren

Gold forum user
Thanks Dan

But is that pass good in all 50 states and in upside down Oz?:cool: I would order another from you but can't decide if I should keep two tigers in the garage. They are already jealous of each other. I bet I could say it's my my wife's car like the Harley guys say when selling and it's had easy mileage, yeah sure,,, maybe I better take the TA off first..

Well, ...clearly ....before ordering a Tiger Torque Arm, YOU need a pass from MWOOD. :)

...and all of you currently using one >>> MUST<<< remove it until a MWOOD pass is obtained. :rolleyes:

DW

mwood

Gold forum user

DW

Sorry if I came off sounding pedantic. Not my intent.

Like I said, people can believe what they want to believe. I've yet to see any of the "defenders" of the TA bring any tech to this discussion, just personal beliefs with no data supporting. Also, as mentioned, I have nothing "against" a TA design...I've run them on Fox Mustangs with great results. The problem I see is running one on a Tiger without doing the indicated work on the front end, which seems to be the norm.

I do have some experience setting up race cars and autocross cars successfully and have played with torque arms plenty. There's certainly more about suspension set up I don't know than what I do...but, I've done the work. My impression is that most on this board cannot say the same, to be very honest, and simply follow whatever the "other guy" did with their car.

But, if one is happy with how their Tiger "handles", within the parameters of how hard they actually are pushing it, nothing wrong with that. :)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
But, if one is happy with how their Tiger "handles", within the parameters of how hard they actually are pushing it, nothing wrong with that. :)

I am very happy with the way my Tiger "handles", as indicated in my earlier AutoX vid. Oh....I push it plenty hard at its HP level.

mwood

Gold forum user
Glad you're happy.

I'm out of this thread. No point in wasting my time fighting inertia :)