EPAS steering

steven

Gold forum user
I know this has been discussed before, however the idea of power assisted steering interested me. Now I can source a modern EPAS column locally. Has anyone adapted the modern unit to connect to the Sunbeam column?
Any comments would be good.

Warren

Gold forum user
UK n Dale

Dale was at a meeting with a PAS in hand,no idea bot Dave Wilson was eyeballing it.
UK Tiger has a thread on one too.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Putter Putter

Dale was at a meeting with a PAS in hand,no idea bot Dave Wilson was eyeballing it.
UK Tiger has a thread on one too.

Just another thing to putter on & maintain guys . . . . . .:(

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I know this has been discussed before, however the idea of power assisted steering interested me. Now I can source a modern EPAS column locally. Has anyone adapted the modern unit to connect to the Sunbeam column?
Any comments would be good.

Jim Ovens in The UK has been making units for their local club members for a few years now... They use a Vauxhall unit and cannabalize an Alpine column for the top and bottom bits.
Very 'stealthy' as nothing 'shows' once it's installed under the dash! Tony Tomaselli has had one on his LHD Tiger for a while now and posted some pics on this thread... http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1746
I went the 'old school' route on my car and used a power rack & pinion from a Mazda. Either setup is a great addition IMHO especially with wide front tires

Jim
B382000446

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I was greatly impressed with the quality of Jim Oven's work. It's beautiful and his installation would not even be spotted most Tiger owners.

Tom Hall has quietly been perfecting his own EPAS for the Tiger for over a year. We all might get a glimpse of it in a few weeks at SUNI.

bt
at the beach

tigerracer

Silver forum user
I have an electric assist steering column installed in my street Tiger going on 4-5 months.
It works great with the fast ratio rack and 235-40/17 tires. I have 2 other Tigers with the unit installed. The columns incorporate the stock telescoping mechanism, as a stock steering wheel or adapter can be used. The units I am using are new units, made in USA and used by many oems. I will have an adjustable assist units in a few weeks. Give me a call or email for more info.

Dale Akuszewski
Dales Restorations
dalesresto@aol.com

Paul4223

Gold forum user
With all the great modern technology and improvement/techniques perfected by all the savvy Tiger guys, I'm wondering what my chances are of convincing my wife that we NEED to put some additional serious money into The Tiger? No, not "need" it's absolutely MUST! The essence of essential! It has nothing to do with what the car cost us to restore 20 years ago.

Surely she'll understand that "that was then." Don't Ya' think??? :) I mean we've paid off the kid's college educations…..

Power steering- my goodness! I had no idea.

Maybe my best tactic is to use a stealthy approach. She never drives the car anyway. She'll never have a clue….

Moondoggie

Gold forum user
With all the great modern technology and improvement/techniques perfected by all the savvy Tiger guys, I'm wondering what my chances are of convincing my wife that we NEED to put some additional serious money into The Tiger? No, not "need" it's absolutely MUST! The essence of essential! It has nothing to do with what the car cost us to restore 20 years ago.

Surely she'll understand that "that was then." Don't Ya' think??? :) I mean we've paid off the kid's college educations…..

Power steering- my goodness! I had no idea.

Maybe my best tactic is to use a stealthy approach. She never drives the car anyway. She'll never have a clue….

Paul...You must be new to the hobby never tell your wife what you are buying
for the Tiger and never ever ask permission !!!!

The Corvette guys have been doing electric steering for quite awhile and it works great....Check out this video and note that they do sell a kit for street rods which can be adapted to the Tiger column with some engineering

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-319897-shop-by-category-electric-power-steering.html

Moondoggie

Paul4223

Gold forum user
Paul...You must be new to the hobby never tell your wife what you are buying
for the Tiger and never ever ask permission !!!!

The Corvette guys have been doing electric steering for quite awhile and it works great....Check out this video and note that they do sell a kit for street rods which can be adapted to the Tiger column with some engineering

http://americanpowertrain.com/c-319897-shop-by-category-electric-power-steering.html

Moondoggie

Nope, hardly "new to the hobby". I hot rodded my first car, a '50 Ford when I was 12. My college commuter car was a real '32 Ford 5-window w/ '48 Merc flathead. My next college car was a '56 Corvette with a rather warm 283. So on and so forth….

We've had our Tiger for about 23 years, and my wife has been with me for every skinned knuckle and drop of blood spilled. The car came out great and has required little in the way of expenditures since. The last "big" item was Hurst linkage. The next two bigger items, will be wide-ratio box and hard top. Consider me an aberration, but I tend to share a lot of "stuff" with my wife. As far as cars go, she knows what a lunatic I can be. :) It was her idea for me to get a '99 M Coupe as a second daily driver. Her words: "You might as well get something you're going to love driving…." Talk about a "keeper".

Lately I've become more interested in the modern mods that guys are doing to Tigers, and mulling over if I want to "go there." But, money is definitely a consideration.

OTOH, I know you're only kidding me, Doggie! :)

I'll check out that vid- thanks!