Girling Booster Rebuild Question

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It's a good idea to coat the inside of the can and the leather seal with black moly grease. I use a Valvoline product with "Ford Lincoln Mercury" printed on the tube. When all else fails, send it in for rescue.
I usually use a silicone lube, but Randy is as good as I am for rebuilding these units! Over the last 40 years I've probably rebuilt hundreds of the 7" boosters as they are also used on the Big Healey, Aston Martin DB5/6's and a lot of Italian stuff. The 5" booster was also used on Volvo cars. I use a product made by Sandstrom that is a baked graphite coating for repairing the vacuum chambers. If the tip of the vacuum piston is pitted the unit is not repairable... It mates into an internal seal in the operating piston... It's why the vacuum chambers often fill with brake fluid....

Moss has the kit for the 7" boosters under part # 021.164 for $90 retail. The only difference between the 5" and the 7" unit is the gasket for the vacuum chamber lid and the length of the packing for under the leather seal. Randy is quite correct that too much length in this packing will result in the piston hanging up in the bore, locking the brakes on.

I usually have several boosters on hand for parts.... I have encountered the plugs that are reluctant to be removed. in 40 years I have never had to resort to drilling one in order to use a slide hammer... I probably have 3 or 4 valve bodies that I could exchange if you can't get it apart.

larryall

New forum user
Thank you Oneoffive. I was just going to ask that question because the kit I purchased does not include servo grease. I will go to Ford dealership tomorrow and pick up a tube.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you Oneoffive. I was just going to ask that question because the kit I purchased does not include servo grease. I will go to Ford dealership tomorrow and pick up a tube.
ANY NAPA or Valvoline outfit should carry it. No need to pay dealership pricing . . . .