Kens Tiger - B9471532

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Nope !

I noticed I have 2 different inside door handles. pretty sure the one on the right is not correct, and not sure what it is from.
If any anyone has a door handle for sale, please let me know.

Thanks, Ken

Never saw that right critter anywhere?

KenF

Gold forum user
Exhaust

I think rick at SS sells them?

Yes they do, I should have checked first.

Took car to the exhaust shop to get the left tailpipe adjusted so that it and the muffler are at the same angle. In the before picture you can see the left muffler being pulled up more than the right side when tailpipe is bolted up. To me it seems like the left tailpipe has about a 1/2 inch less depth of the bend below the rear end housing, and a slightly less bend down out of the muffler. So it was cut right behind the muffler and re-welded. Not perfect, but better than it was. Not sure if all the SS kits are like this, but mine was, and had to pay extra $ to get it leveled out. The fit up front is great and it doesn't rattle at the x-frame holes.

It sounds good too. On a scale of 1 (my 13 Honda Accord) to 10 (427 Cobra with side pipes) I'd rate the noise level around 5, maybe a 6 around town. Neighbors will know you're coming. Noise seems pleasantly lower at freeway speeds, and no droning.

Attachments

• IMG_5064.JPG
    IMG_5064.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_5067.JPG
    IMG_5067.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 155

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Them Thar Tubing Bends

Yes they do, I should have checked first.

Took car to the exhaust shop to get the left tailpipe adjusted so that it and the muffler are at the same angle. In the before picture you can see the left muffler being pulled up more than the right side when tailpipe is bolted up. To me it seems like the left tailpipe has about a 1/2 inch less depth of the bend below the rear end housing, and a slightly less bend down out of the muffler. So it was cut right behind the muffler and re-welded. Not perfect, but better than it was. Not sure if all the SS kits are like this, but mine was, and had to pay extra $ to get it leveled out. The fit up front is great and it doesn't rattle at the x-frame holes.

It sounds good too. On a scale of 1 (my 13 Honda Accord) to 10 (427 Cobra with side pipes) I'd rate the noise level around 5, maybe a 6 around town. Neighbors will know you're coming. Noise seems pleasantly lower at freeway speeds, and no droning.

Been meaning to speak to Rick about the pipe bends. It's a good thing we have a conduit bender available. They are all out (the pipes) just enough to be frustrating. After 4 sets recently, I can say that the errors are not consistently in the same spot but always there just the same.

KenF

Gold forum user
Original Owners

I drove the car about 40 minutes away to the original owners house. Rich and Jeanette owned it from 65 to 75. They talked of all the trips they took to the California coast in it, and mentioned how bright and shiny it use to be. At the time they owned a VW bug and later got a Toyota Corolla before selling it as it didn't make much sense with their 2 boys. They sold it to the high school kid across the street, who drove it for another 10 years before parking it. He was surprised to see the CSEA sticker still on the wing window, he worked for CalTrans.

While looking inside the trunk I pointed to where the tool roll use to be. He said "wait a minute" as he headed to his garage, which got my heart going. But, didn't find it, probably long gone or buried in house where they've lived 55+ years.

Gave him a ride, but I think the fuel gremlins started coming back while driving, but he still got a kick out of being in his old ride. Told him I'd bring it back when its running better.

Real nice couple and enjoyed the visit. Thanks Rich and Jeanette for taking good care of it then. The only casualty they had was slowly rolling it under a pickup truck bumper when she took her foot off the brake while reaching for something on the floor. That's probably when the front Sunbeam letters were removed.

Attachments

• IMG_5089.JPG
    IMG_5089.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5090.JPG
    IMG_5090.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 168

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome

This is like the Tigers story of the year Keep your fingers crossed maybe he can find the spark plug socket and the Tommy bar. I have only been able to Google stalk my P.O.'s and ring them up but got a lot of good information. Great work...

KenF

Gold forum user
Took the Tiger back down to Stockton today to visit Rich, the original owner again. The car problem last time turned out to be the battery was so far dead the generator couldn't recharge it. Generator and regulator checked out fine, just the battery was replaced. I took it to an old school electrical guy to verify, and he said it's getting 15 volts to the battery and regulator may need to be adjusted down when the weather warms up. Going to install one of the voltage gauges that Jim (66TigerMK1A) has available so I can keep on eye on it.

His son Dan was there and he took his dad's old car for a drive. No luck in finding any old parts, docs, pictures, but they will keep looking.

Next week or two I'm going to drive a bit further to Pleasanton to visit the second owner, Rick. He's now a retired attorney who drives a Turbo Porsche I hear. Maybe he'll know where that tool roll or the hubcaps are, and tell me a little more history of the car.

While in Stockton I took a picture of the old Crown Motors building where the car was first sold. Rich went there in 65 to buy an Austin Healey 3000, but didn't like the lack of room in it. He tried on the Tiger instead which fit him better and definitely sounded better.

Attachments

• IMG_5118.JPG
    IMG_5118.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 141
  • CrownMotors.JPG
    CrownMotors.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 149

KenF

Gold forum user
Top Off

I finally pulled the top off today, which probably hasn't been off in over 35 years. Headliner is a bit stained, and a small rip in drivers side. No signs of rust, but I haven't taken the rubber off yet. Will probably replace all the rubber for now, and not repaint until the car is painted, whenever that may be. Wife drove it for the first time, she loved it.

I need to find a way to store this thing. Was thinking of getting a Thule Multilift since I don't want to use my floor or wall space.

Attachments

• IMG_5152.JPG
    IMG_5152.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5153.JPG
    IMG_5153.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5156.JPG
    IMG_5156.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5159.JPG
    IMG_5159.JPG
    307.1 KB · Views: 147

KenF

Gold forum user
Horn Hole Plates

I noticed the engine temp creeping up a little as the weather gets warmer, maybe 220, after driving it a bit hard. :rolleyes: In anticipation of 100+ temps in summer, created some horn hole block off plates, which looks like most everyone makes up their own. Didn't feel like relocating the horns, so here is what I came up with.

Attachments

• IMG_5346.JPG
    IMG_5346.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5347.JPG
    IMG_5347.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 160

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sweet

I noticed the engine temp creeping up a little as the weather gets warmer, maybe 220, after driving it a bit hard. :rolleyes: In anticipation of 100+ temps in summer, created some horn hole block off plates, which looks like most everyone makes up their own. Didn't feel like relocating the horns, so here is what I came up with.

Nice workmanship . . . .

KenF

Gold forum user
Finally Got A Title!

Well looky what just came in the mail! I should have used one of those DMV services as suggested, instead of this 3 month frustrating journey. Long story short I had to go through the YOM program to use the black plates since the correct VIN the car was just added to the DMV system under (car was long gone from DMV system) didn't match the incorrect VIN on the old title, so I then had no documented proof the ELJ 543 black plates were once registered to the car. At least the title info is now correct, and even has the original plate number on it.

Shhheeessshh.

Attachments

• IMG_5384.JPG
    IMG_5384.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 118

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
plates

quote: so I then had no documented proof the ELJ 543 black plates were once registered to the car

uh oh, the paperwork says EJY543

Ken, if it was you making the mistake you will have to give up your dream of getting a job at the DMV.

KenF

Gold forum user
quote: so I then had no documented proof the ELJ 543 black plates were once registered to the car

uh oh, the paperwork says EJY543

Ken, if it was you making the mistake you will have to give up your dream of getting a job at the DMV.
DOH.jpg

Warren

Gold forum user
Mistakes

Some say Roots and some say Sunbeam as the make. Some say roadster and others say convertible even though their forms splain the difference. A YOM is 10 dollars more and the registration cites "special plate."

DMV has to suspend the local application to Sacramento, then they reactivate the old record somehow. Correcting the number to include or exclude the LRXFE or the year model put in front is a common mistake by the dealership that could never have been fixed and can make searching titles difficult if not impossible. I have had two that read 66382.......and two that say 6782........ and even one that left off the B and one that left off a 1 in my cheaper but not cheaper Chrysler car ;) Quite luckily 3 months later that title came back from Sacramento corrected. Overall Ken it's a great victory you and 10 bucks is way less then the other options of new black plate or the vanity plate in the old number. Great job on the horn hole plates.

KenF

Gold forum user
Brake Booster

Finally rebuilt the power brake booster and installed it. Sent the cylinder out to get chrome plated, then painted the outside black, and put back together using SS's rebuilt kit. Thanks to Bryan for helping me get it back together.
IMG_5873.JPG

Installed. Works, doesn't leak, but feels a bit weird after getting use to a solid unassisted system.
IMG_5889.JPG

Secret sauce used on the piston seal. Used the supplied red grease everywhere else.
IMG_5913.JPG

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yeah, wish I could get a more original looking hose clamp! :confused:

Any other options out there?

You want the sardine style clamp? Iirc there was some cross ref to a similar clamp in the forum somwhere.. Otherwise hunt an old alpine s3-V parts car with booster....

KenF

Gold forum user
Sardine Clamp

Looked, but can't find a picture of an original Tiger or Alpine brake power booster hose clamp, or like replacement.
Did they look similar to this?
SardineClamp.jpg