Kens Tiger - B9471532

KenF

Gold forum user
I've removed the rivet and cleaned them out. My old motorcycle pals said they used oil of Wintergreen to rejuvenate old rubber and seals. On my old sailboat soaking the rubber seals in Joy dish soap also lubricated the seals . The early valve worked better for me than the "new and improved," late version. I don't think there is any different between the Alpine and Tiger ones. A British shop owner acquaintance of mine had several he took out of attic storage but apparently they didn't like the heat, but they looked great ;)

I did notice that it leaked a lot less after it soaked in coolant a day or two. I may take old one apart and see what I can do with the seals. Plus, I like the old patina better.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
... in a stock 260. But if you want just a little more suds, get a 5-bolt 289 and hop it up just a little. Maybe you can go for a ride or someone will let you drive a stock 260 Tiger. Maybe it’s worth putting the 260 on a shelf for the resale pile, but have a 289 for today’s fun.
-Kevin

You can do a mild reliable 260.. Say 270hp which is basically the same as a 289hipo .. Screw in studs, bigger valves and a better cam add a 4bbl edelbrock manifold and holley 460 and you have a punchy streetable 260...

Says the.guy woth a roller cam 302.... But hey... It was in there already :p

Last edited by a moderator:

KenF

Gold forum user
Heater Control Valve

I took apart both the old and new heater control valve. The plunger is a little different size wise (at bottom of picture), but the rubber diaphragm is the same.
IMG_4945.JPG

So I assembled rubber diaphragm, brass washer, bottom cup, and clip from new valve onto old plunger and reassembled into old valve body. Seemed to have plenty of crush on the rubber when rotating halves back together, so it shouldn't leak. Installed new rivet and installed.
IMG_4948.JPG

KenF

Gold forum user
Air Filter Color

The guy I bought the car from rattle-canned the air filter housing a gloss black a few weeks before I got it, but fortunately didn't paint the inside surfaces. The inside of the housing looks to me like it is the original factory paint. It's kind of a blue/green/gray color. I had a paint store do a color match on an inside area of the bottom piece, and painted the outside surfaces with this color, leaving the inside paint as is. I need to take the gloss down a few notches, it ruins the old battered look of everything else under the bonnet. :rolleyes: I need find that elusive correct air cleaner nut somewhere too. Not sure if color is correct, and I may be way off base, but it is what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_4963.JPG
    IMG_4963.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4964.JPG
    IMG_4964.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4965.JPG
    IMG_4965.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 114

Bryan

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Ken- rustoleium hammerd silver- gray if you like it darker is a good match

Warren

Gold forum user
Awesome

ToI don't know what they put in paint to give it the hammered look . We called that pock marked appearance fish eyes. Possibly using the Krylon as a base coat then going over with your matched color ? Looks real good on the small screen. I've gotten this ? many times..
Maybe we can get you a new one get it flash chromed then distress it with some diluted pool acid ;)
Also gotta get you a proper metal vac. line on the distributor.
I've seen a reasonable facsimile sardine clamp for the booster hose on Moss motors just haven't gotten around to ordering one to see what it looks like in real life.

KenF

Gold forum user
Front Plate Bracket

Also gotta get you a proper metal vac. line on the distributor.
I've seen a reasonable facsimile sardine clamp for the booster hose on Moss motors just haven't gotten around to ordering one to see what it looks like in real life.
Please send more info on that Moss clamp, and I may order it. I need to check some old Tiger pics to see what the vacuum line should look like.

Made a license plate bracket since I'll need front plate when I go to the DMV soon. It'll likely become a wall ornament soon afterwards. Thought I could hang from either top or bottom plate holes, but plate flopping in the wind would probably stress out the 2 valance RivNuts too much. So, put to use that weird starter hole (I don't really know what it is) to mount a top bracket to stabilize. I'm sure there are better ways, but this will get me by.

Attachments

• IMG_4962.JPG
    IMG_4962.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 124

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
starter hole

Please send more info on that Moss clamp, and I may order it. I need to check some old Tiger pics to see what the vacuum line should look like.

So, put to use that weird starter hole (I don't really know what it is) to mount a top bracket to stabilize.

The opening is for use of the hand crank for starting the Alpine engine. A hand crank was supplied with most Alpines.

Warren

Gold forum user
Brake

Nice folding to be sure. There's a couple different kinds but I have at least one off the car if you want to copy it more accurately or ?

Super easy to ground the plate without the adjustable sliding brackets.

I've pulled one of mine because it's an air flow blocker and I'm often tempted to use sloped driveways to turn around . If you do that land ho it's super easy to twist the valence. The center bar would be a little more of a challenge for you .

I'll have to get on to the Moss page again but I'm really busy. Naturally I've sold the clamps and now regret doing so. Got a picture someplace. They are scaled up version of the rack boot ties.
With your talent and sheet metal brake and squaring shear and a cotter pin :)
Sean AKA Austinhealer sells a repop I believe yellow stripe hose some guys paint their own brand. As usual great work !

PS eBay name for Sean not a member here Pacific Tiger Club

KenF

Gold forum user
The opening is for use of the hand crank for starting the Alpine engine. A hand crank was supplied with most Alpines.

Awesome! Looks like a good way to hurt yourself.
https://youtu.be/xV--4DU2owE

(Just testing catmbr's site BB code below...)
HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xV--4DU2owE?start=15" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KenF

Gold forum user
Air Filter Color

Well, decided to strip and paint the air filter housing a silver instead of the color that is on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 92

KenF

Gold forum user
I shipped my water pump out to be rebuilt on 12/28, which is now the only item holding this thing from the road. Hopefully it will arrive back in a couple days. While waiting for that I've spent some time adjusting the hood, trunk, and door latches so they close easily and the panels fit better. Took the seats and carpet out to clean up a bit. I didn't want to lift up the underlayment and damage it, but pretty confident there's no surprises under there. Beneath the pedals there's some surface rust I need to prep and POR-15. Also removed the false floor to take a look behind there. Did find a couple receipts, one from Nov 1974 and Jan 1984 from the Stockton, CA.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.JPG
    IMG_4982.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4984.JPG
    IMG_4984.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4983.JPG
    IMG_4983.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4985.JPG
    IMG_4985.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 111

KenF

Gold forum user
Old Carpet Anyone?

Anyone have an old drivers side carpet they want to sell? I wouldn't mind getting something old to match the other side, at least for now. :rolleyes:
The original 1964 seatbelts are from the Roberk Co. in Norwalk Connecticut, I should have them redone for safety's sake. I'm sure there are other better options out there now too.
I'm debating on the seats whether to recover them with a new kit, or try to salvage the covers. They aren't bad, looks like a cat put a few claw marks on the upper shoulder area of the seats, I guess appropriate for a Tiger. Regardless, the foam is falling apart and a few of the straps are broke, they need work.

Attachments

• IMG_4987.JPG
    IMG_4987.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4986.JPG
    IMG_4986.JPG
    462.9 KB · Views: 105

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
On the seats, carefully remove, buy new foams and webbings and carefully reassemble. They will look much mire solid ans filled out and still have a matching patina

Warren

Gold forum user
Ashes to ashes foam to dust

I know you must feel like Rick's new BFF as I was a couple of months ago. The seat foams are available and probably is an easier DiY job but luck for me my convertible top guy ram into me after 20 plus years and asked if I had any side jobs. One car I have has regular sofa webbing and I have even seen plywood used. You don't really know till you plant the posterior or look under the seat but the new foam is a great . Good work on the re hab I call Dale looking for take offs and he always say's I just threw the _____ away the other day:(

Last edited: