Mark 1A Tiger 2545 just went up on BaT

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Lots of little things (detail) wrong with it, but it looks to be an OK car.
If you have the time watch the Mecum / Harrisburg auction this week. Lots of cars with incorrect details crossing the block and they're selling. They sold a Vette that had the IRS removed and a 9 inch Ford unit installed to handle the 383 stroker engine. Other than that the car looked normal for a mid 70's version.

Warren

Gold forum user
If you have the time watch the Mecum / Harrisburg auction this week. Lots of cars with incorrect details crossing the block and they're selling. They sold a Vette that had the IRS removed and a 9 inch Ford unit installed to handle the 383 stroker engine. Other than that the car looked normal for a mid 70's version.
Corvettes and other marques have their own what's correct books etc.
We have the BoN or take your car to a United and pick a class and be judged.
Average Joe has no way other than rely on the peanut gallery on BaT to get a handle on what they are armchair bidding or merely watching.
Most times cars get posted so opinions of value and benchmarks can be established. Other times it's to poke fun at the ad copy that's incorrect. While there's nearly never a declaration that the subject is stock, personalized there usually is when it's modified as that's blaring loudly with big motor big exhaust.

On BaT I try to remain positive and bring the " what I really think but dialed back still here."

A pretty nice car obviously got their pro photography touch. But Lol why stop so short with the little details a 30 minute rattle can on the AC housing and for ___ sake can you put the stupid thing on straight ...
It's been several weeks since there's been an offering on BaT. Fun to have armchair judging events and commenting ability during break times.
:)

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The arty photos certainly hide a lod of detail to see how the car is.. Lots of little mistakes in the copy etc...

But.. I LOVE THE TEST DRIVE VIEDO!!! totally gets on it.. And went to the effort of blacking out the speedo so as not to officially let the world know how naughty..... Hilarious ... 😂😂😂🐯

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
The car shows a grille badge with the dimpled design , is the car too young for that badge ?

Warren

Gold forum user
The arty photos certainly hide a lod of detail to see how the car is.. Lots of little mistakes in the copy etc...

But.. I LOVE THE TEST DRIVE VIEDO!!! totally gets on it.. And went to the effort of blacking out the speedo so as not to officially let the world know how naughty..... Hilarious ... 😂😂😂🐯
Or to mask the needle bouncing speedometer :)
You can see that they already paid for the cable and gear replaced. I've done all those things plus sent out the speedo to a shop 3 times and only remained "fixed" for a couple 1000 miles. Insert shameless plug for Jim G.
repop speedometers.
AKA 66MK1A

Last edited:

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Agreed. I had the original speedometer rebuilt 2 or 3 times in the 80's, and they never lasted. One of those cycles included a new cable, which also did not fix anything. So Jim G's updated speedometer was an easy decision for me. Also, if you are running a modern transmission with an inductive pickup built in, it is easy to wire. It is SO nice to have a dead-steady working speedo.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The car shows a grille badge with the dimpled design , is the car too young for that badge ?
way too young... the center badge with the cuts at 12, 3, 6 and 9 was early MK1 altho I couldn't find a cut off chassis number in the parts book. A mk1a should have a center boss with NO markings (smooth)

as for bouncing needles... too much load on the cable where it goes into the gauge will cause this every time... the damage can then only be repaired by a good speedo rebuild. Gonna miss Nisonger!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Agreed. I had the original speedometer rebuilt 2 or 3 times in the 80's, and they never lasted. One of those cycles included a new cable, which also did not fix anything. So Jim G's updated speedometer was an easy decision for me. Also, if you are running a modern transmission with an inductive pickup built in, it is easy to wire. It is SO nice to have a dead-steady working speedo.
Tigerized a TR4A for my brother... used a 5 speed from a late 80's Mustang with an S10 Chevy tailshaft housing to get the shifter in the correct spot. Ford and Chevy locate the speedo drive in different spots on the mainshaft so I ended up using a GPS driver with a cable to his original TR4A gauge... works great unless you're in a long tunnel... then not so good!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
way too young... the center badge with the cuts at 12, 3, 6 and 9 was early MK1 altho I couldn't find a cut off chassis number in the parts book. A mk1a should have a center boss with NO markings (smooth)

as for bouncing needles... too much load on the cable where it goes into the gauge will cause this every time... the damage can then only be repaired by a good speedo rebuild. Gonna miss Nisonger!
The center badge with the cuts was used in the early series 4 Alpines. I've never taken the time to look up when the change to the smooth badge holder on Alpines happened. My Heritage Certificate from the Archives tell me that Series 4 Alpine # 1969 which some refer to as a series 4A was built Christmas week of 1964 and I know that it had the smooth grill badge without cuts when it was sold new at Byers in Columbus, Ohio. How does it's build date relate to the MK 1 Tigers bodies?
107_1001.JPG

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
If you want service for your mechanical speedo, the "best technician" from Nisonger is still working on them. British Speedomewter, 914-536-1346.

Warren

Gold forum user
So back to the car/and copy. Just looked at a Snap on promo piece on the compression tester. Anyone used one of those things?
I remember when somebody came to look at my car. He took out his paint meter gauge he said this car's got Bondo. Kinda a missed that included pictures plus some easy ones looking for Bondo worms and previous wing or other put together sections.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
So back to the car/and copy. Just looked at a Snap on promo piece on the compression tester. Anyone used one of those things?
I remember when somebody came to look at my car. He took out his paint meter gauge he said this car's got Bondo. Kinda a missed that included pictures plus some easy ones looking for Bondo worms and previous wing or other put together sections.
I have a conventional compression tester... but on an engine that was supposedly rebuild just 2 years ago, the readings seem awful low... 135 psi?? I'd have expected somewhere around 170/180.

As for paint readers... find me a 55 year old car without filler! Or a car that's still in original paint... not too many of those left. Modern catalyzed hi build primers and urethane single stage paint has much greater film thickness than paints from the 60's, especially clears which can lead to pretty substantial builds that end up looking like a skim coat of filler.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Every restoration needs a skim coat to make a body without waves.
107_0245.JPG
107_0240.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The work of getting a straight body gets tougher when you're working on a Beam that's a combination of glass and metal. These cars were built using a body filler to fill and cover seams.
109_0544.JPG
109_0548.JPG

Warren

Gold forum user
Hmmm hope the new owner doesn't find fiberglass on the subject car for sale :)

Then there's the usual California whoops forgot the B on the VIN.

There was no B on one of my cars . That time got out no charge for the correction only had a mobile inspection verification done. Only time I ever went to DMV and didn't give em money.

1967_sunbeam_tiger_California-Ownership-Certificate-49121-scaled.jpeg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Hmmm hope the new owner doesn't find fiberglass on the subject car for sale :)

Then there's the usual California whoops forgot the B on the VIN.

There was no B on one of my cars . That time got out no charge for the correction only had a mobile inspection verification done. Only time I ever went to DMV and didn't give em money.

View attachment 15901
forgot the "LRXFE" too. Both are on my Washington Title... in California since new, hence the little plastic tag "SUN 66". BMC had a tag that was made from the same plastic.... Jags used a metal one.